Atlantis Submarine?

oh2gocruisin

oh2gocruisin - Actually, if you use the search option, you will find more info on this. That is how I found the Atlantis website: www.atlantisadventures.com

What I am interested in is if you book directly through Atlantis (as I am planning) do they pick you up at the pier or do you have to find your own way to them?

• 2 weeks later...

We booked our excursion with Atlantis directly through Princess since we were first time cruisers and didn't know the ropes. We were met at the pier and taken by van/taxi to their location. When we arrived at their location we were given a safety briefing and then boarded a tender that took us out to the submarine. They seemed to me to be a very professionally run business. They take what they do seriously as they should. My wife told me she heard them say that they are inspected and approved by the US Coast Guard although we were in Mexico. We boarded the submarine and took our seats. See the picture taken from inside the submarine. Its a little cramped but well worth it unless you are very claustrophobic. We submerged to 109 feet. It was very interesting and there was a narrator describing what we were seeing. If I can answer anything else about Atlantis let me know.

2008_0412Image0175.jpg.58b28744317d760a49f17401d73dc0f0.jpg

2008_0412Image0229.jpg.a81b40a3a6feaef9e8e7d551eb530dc3.jpg

Thanks for sharing your pictures! I am definitely going to book directly through Atlantis (saving some money that way) but I still need to figure out how to get to the sub if I do that. Guess I'll have to call them directly.

• 2 weeks later...

I e-mailed Atlantis Submarine's customer service to inquire about getting to their facility. They were VERY prompt in their response. Atlantis is about 3 miles from the Punta Langosta pier and they said it was about $6 by taxi. They also said that we should have no problem getting to the facility by taxi.

Hopefully I am able to help someone out with this information.

Elaine

• 3 months later...
I e-mailed Atlantis Submarine's customer service to inquire about getting to their facility. They were VERY prompt in their response. Atlantis is about 3 miles from the Punta Langosta pier and they said it was about $6 by taxi. They also said that we should have no problem getting to the facility by taxi.

Hopefully I am able to help someone out with this information.

Elaine

This was my question...thanks for answering it. If you've already done the excursion, can you follow up and tell me how it was and if just grabbing a taxi worked out?

I haven't been on the cruise yet (11 days yay!) but unfortunately, I have had to cancel my excursion so I am unable to answer this for you. I can tell you that they were very understanding about me having to cancel and will not be charging me anything for the cancellation.

Having been to the Punta Langosta pier in November, I know that there are many taxis at the back of the mall waiting to take you anywhere you want to go. I'm pretty confident you will have no problems getting a taxi to the Atlantis facility.

If you go, please let us know about your experience as I'm hoping to make it back the next time I have the opportunity to go to Coz.

Thanks!

Elaine

I can tell you that when we went to Chankanaab last November, we had no trouble getting a taxi back. I know that it is a little different since it's a national park, but I think you should be able to get a taxi back with little trouble.

• 2 months later...

We did the excursion earlier this month. We didn't dock at Punta Langosta -- maybe International pier? There's shopping and a 1/2 Senor Frogs there.

The Atlantis building was within easy walking distance. Pretty much, we turned left out of the shopping area. I doubt it was even a half mile down the road.

The excursion was okay. DS17 loved it, as did DH. I expected more, I guess. They take you by (fairly choppy -- but not awful) boat to the site where you transfer to the sub. You're underwater for about 40 minutes. It was interesting to me for about 10 minutes. I expected a lot more colorful and different fish and coral -- I guess more like an aquarium. It wasn't at all claustrophobic, although I could see that it might be to someone with those issues. One thing to note, the seats are molded and you're very close to the person next to you. Larger people may experience some 'overflow'.

It was an interesting experience, but I doubt I'd bother to repeat it.

EDITED TO ADD: I should add that we booked directly through Atlantis and saved a nice bit of change!

• 3 weeks later...

Sweet Angel

I just received my confirmation for the Atlantis for this January. It says to go to the building in front of the Casa Del Mar Hotel...is this where you went? Do they bring you back to this location after the tour? We are docking at the Puerta Maya pier which is next to the International pier so I would you say its about a mile walk to the facility.

Sweet Angel

I just received my confirmation for the Atlantis for this January. It says to go to the building in front of the Casa Del Mar Hotel...is this where you went? Do they bring you back to this location after the tour? We are docking at the Puerta Maya pier which is next to the International pier so I would you say its about a mile walk to the facility.

Judging from the pier info on I just found, we MAY have been docked at Puerta Maya pier, not International as I thought. There was shopping and a 1/2 Senor Frogs where we docked. I asked someone at one of the car rental booths how to get to Atlantis.

We left the shopping area and turned left. It was definitely less than a mile's walk. I don't recall the Atlantis building being in front of a hotel, but I honestly wasn't looking for landmarks...just enjoying the walk.

I can tell you that it would be on your lefthand side and shortly past it is a fun little open-air bar called La Barracruda where we sat and had a couple drinks until enough time had passed that we could go back to Atlantis for our excursion.

The tour brings you by ferry to the dive site and returns you to the original location by ferry. You start and end at the same point.

It is across from the Casa del Mar, but it is pretty obvious when you get close. The Atlantis office is located before the foot bridge which connects the hotel to the beach. If you pay extra and book through the ship the tender boat picks you up at your pier. It is easy walking distance from both piers for most people.

I thought it was amazing and definitely worth doing at least once. My first time on board a real submerging submarine.

The sea life isn't all that colorful at that depth as light doesn't penetrate that far. I thought it a good value for the experience, but don't expect super colorful scenery and fish you see in scuba pictures taken with the aid of a camera flash or at an aquarium with artificial light.

There is one independent booking agency that has good photos taken on board that are very accurate as to color, the submarine, inside and out. I couldn't get anything to load from the Atlantis site for pictures.

http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/CozumelAtlantisSubmarine.html

Archived