Christmas Cruise

moffist

Wondered if anyone could tell me what a Christmas cruise is like. My DH and I just returned from 3/24 Caribbean cruise on the QM2 and are heading off again in October for a TA on the QM2 with the QE2 (very excited!!!)

Thinking into next year a Christmas cruise seems like it would be a wonderful way to spend Christmas. I am a nurse so I work this year but have next christmas off.

http://www.cunard.com/CruiseItinerary_tab.asp?cruiseid=3133&LeftNav=Plan

This is the one we are looking at so any thought on Christmas onboard?

Jayne

My wife has been pining for the same cruise! The dates are great. I had a cruiser friend tell us to be careful with Christmas cruisers. The holidays can be a hard time for many people and cruises at this time might not always bring out the best in people. I said, NOT on the QM2 - All is lovely on her!

I, too, would love to hear thoughts about these holiday cruises. Apparently the decor is spectacular.

Paul

I am going on this cruise too! Many that cruise at Christmas cruise again and again. I wouldn't worry about too many children either. Yes, there will be more children onboard but much fewer than you would find on other lines such as Carnival, Royal Caribbean or even Princess. There are also special Holiday menues and activities. Plus, what a great way to avoid kitchen clean up! The site you found will lead you to a terrific gang preparing for this sailing. Hope you can join us.

Hi Jayne,

We love cruising and have always wanted to take a Christmas cruise. We managed to finally do it last year on the new QV (it was called a "maiden") to the Canaries and thoroughly enjoyed it.

There were a few kids on board but Cunard seemed to look after them very well and they didn't "get in the way" if that's what you're worried about!.

We felt Christmas was a slightly low key affair particularly around lunchtime but they did have Santa Clause (I think there were more adults having their picture taken on his knee than there were kids - mostly, but not exclusively, women!) and there was carol singing and other festivities going on through the day.

One commonly heard complaint was that the ship didn't have enough Christmas decorations but the suggestion seemed to be that Cunard didn't want to mess up their new shiny ship! QM2 might be different.

We really enjoyed the New Year party which seemed a much bigger affair than Christmas time.

We met some really nice folks on board (Hi everybody if you're still logging in to the boards) and would certainly recommend a Christmas cruise to anyone. From the people we spoke to QM2 seems to be more of a favourite than QV but we really enjoyed the new ship. We hope to cruise on QM2 ourselves some day.

If you do decide to go we're sure you'll have a great time. We're presently looking towards New England in the fall and have a few cruise options we're looking at just now. If anyone has been on this sort of cruise with Cunard or other cruise line we'd be happy to hear your views.

Derek and Rochelle.

Hi Jayne,

We love cruising and have always wanted to take a Christmas cruise. We managed to finally do it last year on the new QV (it was called a "maiden") to the Canaries and thoroughly enjoyed it.

There were a few kids on board but Cunard seemed to look after them very well and they didn't "get in the way" if that's what you're worried about!.

We felt Christmas was a slightly low key affair particularly around lunchtime but they did have Santa Clause (I think there were more adults having their picture taken on his knee than there were kids - mostly, but not exclusively, women!) and there was carol singing and other festivities going on through the day.

One commonly heard complaint was that the ship didn't have enough Christmas decorations but the suggestion seemed to be that Cunard didn't want to mess up their new shiny ship! QM2 might be different.

We really enjoyed the New Year party which seemed a much bigger affair than Christmas time.

We met some really nice folks on board (Hi everybody if you're still logging in to the boards) and would certainly recommend a Christmas cruise to anyone. From the people we spoke to QM2 seems to be more of a favourite than QV but we really enjoyed the new ship. We hope to cruise on QM2 ourselves some day.

If you do decide to go we're sure you'll have a great time. We're presently looking towards New England in the fall and have a few cruise options we're looking at just now. If anyone has been on this sort of cruise with Cunard or other cruise line we'd be happy to hear your views.

Derek and Rochelle.

Hi Derek and Rochelle

Not seen that New Year photo yet :rolleyes: ooops what have i said :eek:

Gav :cool:

Hi Gavin,

Hope you are well. We've still got that photo and think you deserve to see it after all this time :D !.

I know folks got a bit jittery about the thought of me sharing it with the world so if you really want to see it just let me know how to get it to you.

It's really good (you might not think so of course) and it shows you enjoying the New Year party festivities in the company of a very nice lady ;) !

Derek and Rochelle

Wondered if anyone could tell me what a Christmas cruise is like. My DH and I just returned from 3/24 Caribbean cruise on the QM2 and are heading off again in October for a TA on the QM2 with the QE2 (very excited!!!)

Thinking into next year a Christmas cruise seems like it would be a wonderful way to spend Christmas. I am a nurse so I work this year but have next christmas off.

http://www.cunard.com/CruiseItinerary_tab.asp?cruiseid=3133&LeftNav=Plan

This is the one we are looking at so any thought on Christmas onboard?

Jayne

Jayne...My Parents took me on a Christmas in the Caribbean cruise on QE2 back in 1997/98. It was my first cruise and it was wonderful.:) Mostly the same ports as the one you are looking at. I would say go for it!

See you in Oct.

Denise

• 5 months later...

Our family of 13 has been cruising for Christmas and New Years for a number of years.

There are 6 teens and tweens ages 10 - 19. Their least favorite Christmas cruise was on HAL. Let's just say they did not feel very welcome. :(

Would the QM2 cruise for 2008 be a better atmosphere than HAL? We have been cruising Celebriy since HAL and thought Cunard would be a nice change. Any opinions on the difference between the two lines are also welcome.

No "kid" flames please.

Hi

Our first cruise on QE2 was a Christmas Cruise sailing out of New York, via Fort Lauderdale to the Caribbean and back... and once the QE2 worked her charm on us (yes, we were more used to beds that pushed together, not the 1950's single set up on deck 5!) we thoroughly enjoyed it!! :D

For us (travelling without children) we didn't seem to be overun with kiddies, though there were a few spoiled brats onboard. The QE2 was tastefully decorated with lovely Christmas trees and poinsettias on tables and not forgetting the only snow we saw was on the Christmas market made out of cakes! :D

For us the best thing was laying on deck, smelling of suntan lotion, drinking egg nog and listening to Jingle Bells on the PA system... sligtly surreal, but sure beats soggy old England.

There was a midnight mass and treats delivered to your cabin, I think we had a basket of cookies and a chocolate santa each and there seemed to be a really great atmosphere onboard. For New Years, one year we anchored off St Lucia or St Thomas and there was a firework display... I think, I was sozzled at the time!! :cool:

Needless to say when we got back to grey home we went and booked for the following Christmas/New Year on QE2 again!! Oh, yes and that was the year I broke the QE2 and we drifted for a couple of hours in the early hours of 1st Jan!!! Oooops! :o

Given the chance we'd book a Christmas Cruise every year!!

Hope that helps!

Regards

Karen

Our family of 13 has been cruising for Christmas and New Years for a number of years.

There are 6 teens and tweens ages 10 - 19. Their least favorite Christmas cruise was on HAL. Let's just say they did not feel very welcome. :(

Would the QM2 cruise for 2008 be a better atmosphere than HAL? We have been cruising Celebriy since HAL and thought Cunard would be a nice change. Any opinions on the difference between the two lines are also welcome.

No "kid" flames please.

Here is a recent thread about traveling on the QM2 with children. Thought it might be helpful.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=822001

Here is another thread about traveling with teens:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=841436

Beth

Here is a recent thread about traveling on the QM2 with children. Thought it might be helpful.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=822001

Here is another thread about traveling with teens:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=841436

Beth

Thank you Beth, I truly appreciate it.

Archived