VNP vs. Haleakala

mickeyfanz

We are spending a week on the Big Island post-cruise and are renting a house for 2 days in Volcano. I was wondering if it is worth us spending time also going to Haleakala in Maui while there on the cruise stop? We have 3 sons (ages 8, 5, and ~2) and I don't know if I should visit it since we will get our fill of VNP after the cruise. Seeing the sunrise sounds neat but I can't see that happening with having to wake up our kids at a crazy hour to go.

Is there something that would warrant us spending time at both places? Is it just the views or seeing the sunrise that make it special?

Any tips appreciated...

We loved VNP and always spend at least a week there whenever we visit the islands. We enjoy it because of the variety of activites that can be found in the park, from hiking through a rain forest, to desolation trail to the crater walk.

Haleakala is a much older version of Kilauea and is pretty desolate - not much in the way of forested regions around the top. Umm, I've been to Haleakala a few times and wouldn't really go there again unless there was a reason. The sunrise is okay, but it doesn't move me the way it seems to effect other folks. It's very cold and very early to make the drive with little ones and it might just be something to take a pass on this trip, especially for the two younger ones. They would have more fun in VNP, I think.

I just wait to spend the time at VNP and give Haleakla a pass this time around. Wait a few more years and your kids will be old enough to bike down - that would be fun for them.

JMO

Charlie

We thought the view from the top of Haleakala was one of the most breathtakingly beautiful things we have ever seen. We also loved the colors of the crater, as well as the interesting plants (the silverswords at the top) and birds (especially in the Hosmer Grove picnic area). It is very different from VNP, which is equally spectacular in a completely different way. My kids enjoyed both, although would probably give the edge to VNP.

From someone who's taken my kids at all of the ages you mentioned, my advice is to forego Haleakala. It is breathtaking, but my kids wanted beach and sand and Hawaiian fun (they weren't too enthralled with Haleakala at that age...)

But... Kilauea volcano blew them away. Figuratively. They loved picking up pumice boulders almost as big as their torsos with two fingers on the Kilauea Iki trail. They wowed at the stuff in the Jaggar museum, loved the dark hike past the gate in Thurston Lava tube... and were mesmerized for hours at the sight of lava entering the ocean. I've never seen them so calm and observant for so long (even til now - and they're teens.)

Don't promise them active lava, though. It's too ephemeral! But keep an eye on the USGS Kilauea site to see what Pele's up to when you're there.

Archived