Dolphinaris or Dolphin Discovery?

patches12

We went to dolphinaris in Feb. We had a wonderful time. It was clean, well maintained and staffed. Dolphins appeared to be in great health and well taken care of. Our girls 9 & 7 had the best time doing the childrens program. We were told the faciltiy had just opened serveral weeks before our arrival. I would return.

We went to Dolphinaris in March. It was a nice, clean facility and my kids (both teens) loved it. It is expensive but I looked at it as a once in a lifetime experience. The pics of the kids are some of the best in the trip. My main complaint was that we were not allowed to take cameras down to platform and you can at Chankanaab. My camera is underwater. I would have love to have sat on the side while other family members were in water with Dolphins. I still would have bought kids pics but I would have had a lot more pics especially of the dolphins. :D :D

We went to Dolphinaris in March. It was a nice, clean facility and my kids (both teens) loved it. It is expensive but I looked at it as a once in a lifetime experience. The pics of the kids are some of the best in the trip. My main complaint was that we were not allowed to take cameras down to platform and you can at Chankanaab. My camera is underwater. I would have love to have sat on the side while other family members were in water with Dolphins. I still would have bought kids pics but I would have had a lot more pics especially of the dolphins. :D :D

How did you get to this facility?

I didn't realize that Dolphinaris wouldn't allow camera's. That would make a difference to me and would send me to Dolphin Discovery instead of Dolphinaris for sure. We loved our Dolphin Discovery Swim, and being able to take our own camera was a real plus. In my picture link below, I have a lot of pictures that I took with our own camera along with the professional ones. If you look at them, you will see that there is no way my camera pictures would replace the profesional ones.But it's great to have more pictures then just the posed shots. I got some great up close one of the "boys".

When we were there Feb 1 I tried to get them to let my sister take pictures but they wouldn't let her come out . I had heard that they would let you for a $5 fee, but for us they wouldn't budge. We all had a wonderful time and my kids were really happy they did it. I do wish we purchased their video, I tried to offer them less later in the day like people told me to do but they wouldn't budge on that either. My waterproof camera pictures only came out ok. It was a highlight of our cruise though!

We were looking to do a kids only session that requires an "observer only" ticket. The observer does not go in the water. Would that person be allowed to take a camera? How close do they sit to the kids? Would they be able to get any good shots?

I have heard on different threads that the Dolphin Discovery Royal Swim at Chankanaab took 3-4 hours and then other people said only about 1 hour. So I was just wondering if has done this, how long was the entire program?

My family of 5 just did the royal swim in February. The orientation and swim itself was about an hour. After they bring you into a room and show you the video of your group and on to pictures and purchasing. If you have no interest you can leave. If you stay it took us maybe half an hour more. We had an early time and it was not busy so we were on time. I've heard others have waited a little bit. It doesn't take 3 or 4 hours to do but if you include travel time and all you are of course looking at a couple of hours. Booking through dolphin discovery direct was also cheaper. Our cruise did not offer the royal swim either and that was what we wanted to do. I booked directly through the web site. They have a toll free number. When we went if you booked 4 or more people they payed for your transportation. My family had a great time.

I just booked the Dolphinaris Swim and Ride through them. I have a 5 year old so she could do it through them but not thru our ship excursion.

I'm debating going thru Dolphinaris since we'll have a 5 yr old and a 7 yr old.

Please post a review when you return, I'd love to hear how it goes for you!! :D

Happy cruisin!!

I have heard on different threads that the Dolphin Discovery Royal Swim at Chankanaab took 3-4 hours and then other people said only about 1 hour. So I was just wondering if has done this, how long was the entire program?

We did Chankanaab last Thursday. My son(6) and I did the Encounter program at 10am and my husband, daughters(11&9) did the Royal Swim program at 11am. We arrived by taxi to park at approx. 9:30am - completion of programs, video review, picture review & gift shop time we were all wrapped up by about 1PM. We then walked over to beach right next door, stopped at hairbraiding for one of my daughters, playground right next to it and next to that got lunch at the beach grill overlooking beautiful ocean - mexican food - nachos, enchiladas, etc. We then walked back to entrance of park past botanical gardens stopped at another souvenir shop and took taxi back to ship. Great day. Park is beautiful - area was devastated by Hurricane Wilma in 2005 so has been all rebuilt - it is a National Park. Enjoy it. The dolphin programs are fun and they are not too pushy on selling the video/pictures(but it is there job to upsell it....so be prepared):)

• 2 weeks later...
We were looking to do a kids only session that requires an "observer only" ticket. The observer does not go in the water. Would that person be allowed to take a camera? How close do they sit to the kids? Would they be able to get any good shots?

Bumping to see if anyone has the answer. Also, does anyone know what the cost of pics are? Is there anything else to do at Dolphinaris besides the dolphins?

We did Dolphinaris a couple of weeks ago. We were in the water for a least an hour and a half. It was amazing!

Jajone- I think they have an area where the observer can take pics but I am not 100% sure. I think we spent about $20 a piece for 6 pictures. There is a restaurant there too.

An observer can easily get close enough to take pics. Unless you have a telepphoto they will be nice but not closeups. I paid $80 for a DVD of the experience and 2 pics. Those were the most expensive souvenirs that I bought. Worth it.....probably not but if I did not get them someday I would wish that I had. Therefore, I splurged, DH rolled eyes, sighed and walked away. DD and DS were happy. ;)

We will be arriving on the Conquest. We are doing the Dolphin Swim Adventure at 1 PM. How long is the travel time back to the dock for the Carnival Conquest? We won't to shop in the morning, do the beach and dolphins, then return to the ship. Don't want to be late!

Archived