Insurance?

patches12

We haven't purchased our cruise yet because we are worried about a pre-existing condition. Something is wrong with my neck and I will get an MRI on Tuesday. Since I have already seen my dr. it will be a pre-existing condition. So, if I have surgery and need to cancel my trip, can I even buy the insurance since it is pre-existing? When it says "waive" does that mean I do not have it? Can I buy the cancelation insurance in case I have to have surgery? Just pay more for it?

Thanks,

We haven't purchased our cruise yet because we are worried about a pre-existing condition. Something is wrong with my neck and I will get an MRI on Tuesday. Since I have already seen my dr. it will be a pre-existing condition. So, if I have surgery and need to cancel my trip, can I even buy the insurance since it is pre-existing? When it says "waive" does that mean I do not have it? Can I buy the cancelation insurance in case I have to have surgery? Just pay more for it?

Thanks,

Hi patches12,

You'll be wasting your money if you buy travel insurance now. That's because you will not be considered "medically stable". Depending on the outcome of your tests, you may be able to get it, but right now I know you won't be covered. Here's why not:

Here's how pre-existing conditions, medically stable and the lookback period fit together:

- Any medical condition (no matter how minor) existing in the 60, 90 or 180 day Lookback Period is defined as a Pre-Existing Condition if it's been treated, consulted on or had a change of medication during those 60, 90 or 180 days prior to buying the travel insurance.

- A Pre-Existing Medical Condition includes any condition that's been tested, treated, examined, consulted with, received advice on or had symptoms of. This also includes any adjustments or changes in any prescriptions or medication.

- If a pre-existing condition exists, then it has to be "medically stable". This means that the person with that pre-existing condition hasn't already taken a turn for the worse. Medically Stable also means that no medical condition is known, foreseen or expected to "take a turn for the worse". And the person must be able to travel when they buy the insurance.

- If the traveler has the pre-existing condition, they have to be able to travel when they get their travel insurance. Don't order a policy if you're being treated now (and can't currently travel), yet your doctor says you'll be able to travel later. You will not be covered at all.

- If the person has a stable pre-existing condition, then the only way the pre-existing condition exclusion can be waived is to buy the travel insurance by the deadline. Important: Keep in mind that the pre-existing condition exclusion is being waived when you buy the travel insurance by the deadline.

You Must Follow These Rules To Waive The Pre-Existing Medical Condition Exclusion

If you want to waive the pre-existing medical condition exclusion for cancellation, interruption & medical treatment, you have to fulfill these 4 requirements:

1) With a few exceptions, you have to insure at least your trip's full prepaid, non-refundable cost (you can't round it down). If you don't know your final trip cost, estimate it high to be safe. You can always lower to the correct trip cost prior to your departure date. If it drops you to a lower trip cost range, you'll get a partial refund. and

2) The person (including non-traveling family members) with the medical condition has to be medically stable when you get your insurance and

3) You must get your travel insurance in the first 14 or 21 days after your first trip payment date (some plans) or no later than 24 Hours after you make your final Trip payment for other plans and

4) You have to cover your trip's full length.

I hope this helps.

Archived