Need help! In the early stages

judyf

We are in the early stages of planning a cruise to Alaska. We plan to go spring/summer of 2009. I know I should book soon. We will be flying out of Newark NJ.

I know we want to go on NCL. I see there's three ships to choose from. Pearl, Sun and the Star.

I have sailed on the Star to Mexico so I would prefer to sail another ship, but it wouldn't matter if this was the best.

What would be the best itinerary for a first timer to Alaska? Also what's the best month to book?

Any other tips or suggestions, are much appreciated.

Thanks

The best NCL sailing itinerary is definately the Pearl in my opinion, which includes Glacier Bay. "Anytime" is good for Alaska, best will be for you to do your homework and find out what activities are of the most interest and go in those timeframes for peak. So, I suggest you look over a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests, then repost for specific information.

IF you choose either the Star or Sun, then in my opinion, it is necessary to budget into your funds the necessary Tracy Arm add on tour at about $180++pp.

If finances are a consideration, if you go right before high season (May) or right after high season (Sept) the prices are significantly lower. We have been in Sept twice and loved it. Great weather and NO MOSQUITOS! (Mosquitos can be a problem in mid summer). In the middle of the summer you will have light longer but the shoulder season is a great time to visit, get a discount on the trip and avoid the crowds. Also, at the end of the season, all the gift shops discount all merchandise by 50%!

Thanks.

Budget Queen may I ask what is the Tracy Arm add on tour? I read about it in a few posts and still don't really know what it is for sure. Just started searching.

End of August and Sept. is out of the question for me. May and early June would work with my work schedule as also a few weeks in July.

The Pearl is my first choice as far as ships go so I think with BQ suggestion, I think I know what ship I want to go on. :)

Time to do more homework.

Thanks

Thanks.

The Pearl is my first choice as far as ships go so I think with BQ suggestion, I think I know what ship I want to go on. :)

Time to do more homework.

Thanks

Hi Judy,

It's Neverthought from the 05' Dawn cruise. We (DH & I ) are going on the Pearl 5/25 to Alaska. I can give you all the details when we get back. So how have you been? How's your Mom? We just became 1st time Grandparents so that is exciting for us. We are looking forward to the cruise to Alaska on the Pearl, she looks like a beautiful ship with alot to offer. If we have any luck 2.0 will be in effect when we leave and it will further enhance the cruise. Well take care and I'll let you know how it was when we get back. I think I have your personal email, have to check.

Take care,

Neverthought

Hi Judy,

It's Neverthought from the 05' Dawn cruise. We (DH & I ) are going on the Pearl 5/25 to Alaska. I can give you all the details when we get back. So how have you been? How's your Mom? We just became 1st time Grandparents so that is exciting for us. We are looking forward to the cruise to Alaska on the Pearl, she looks like a beautiful ship with alot to offer. If we have any luck 2.0 will be in effect when we leave and it will further enhance the cruise. Well take care and I'll let you know how it was when we get back. I think I have your personal email, have to check.

Take care,

Neverthought

That would be great. It's about the time of year we're thinking of booking too.

Mom and I are both doing good, this Alaska cruise will be for Jerry and I this time, I talked him into doing Hawaii and Alaska as I told him I didn't want to do these trips with my mother. :D Mom and I just did the caribbean last month and she enjoyed it very much as did I. So to cure the PCD I'm getting ready to book ALaska.

Being GP's is so much fun. Spoil them, then send them home, gotta love it.

Just in case my e-mail is autumnsam at aol dot com.

Want to hear all about the Pearl, the excursions and the 2.0, from what I have read the downside is they are now goinbg to have a cover charge for the Mexican and Italian places.

Have a great time!

Archived