Economical Stroller for travel?

PassionFruit

I know strollers get discussed ad nauseum on here, but could you stand to weigh in on yet another question? I have been debating strollers for weeks now. We have a large jogging-type stroller that we've used on past trips (no cruises) that has been great. But, I think it would be a pain to manage for our upcoming NY/cruise vacation. Is there a small, lightweight, but still nice stroller that doesn't cost $100+? I've been trying to find one used, but no luck yet. The recline feature and some sort of shade feature is important to me, besides that I'm pretty flexible. If I don't find something soon our cheap-o $10 umbrella stroller may be going with us. I'm just worried it won't be as comfy for DS (or for DH to push since it's a little shorter).

Suggestions?

How old is your child? Do you need any particular features? recline? cup holders? lots of storage?

The Maclaren Volo is under $100. There are used ones on Ebay for good prices. This seat is not especially cushy and doesn't recline, but many people love it!

I know strollers get discussed ad nauseum on here, but could you stand to weigh in on yet another question? I have been debating strollers for weeks now. We have a large jogging-type stroller that we've used on past trips (no cruises) that has been great. But, I think it would be a pain to manage for our upcoming NY/cruise vacation. Is there a small, lightweight, but still nice stroller that doesn't cost $100+? I've been trying to find one used, but no luck yet. The recline feature and some sort of shade feature is important to me, besides that I'm pretty flexible. If I don't find something soon our cheap-o $10 umbrella stroller may be going with us. I'm just worried it won't be as comfy for DS (or for DH to push since it's a little shorter).

Suggestions?

Passionfruit~

I have the Graco LiteRider for my DD. I worked out great for our last cruise and I'm pretty sure we'll be bringing it again this trip:) It's slightly bigger than an umbrella stroller but a lot more sturdy. When not being used, we folded it up and stored it in the closet in our cabin. Two features that really came in handy, were the front tray (perfect for DD's sippy and snacks) and the basket underneath (it's always great to have extra space to store things).

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2786138

Take a look at the Combi EX http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2887327 It retails for $100 but you can find it on sale for $60. Great stroller. Used it on our recent Mexico cruise and I couldn't have been happier. It reclines, almost all the way. And it's light and folds easily and compactly. It's also fairly narrow which is a huge plus for maneuvering through the narrow corridors. It's my main stroller now...I like it that much!

And this extra large sunshade attaches easily to any stroller. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2302843 If you pull the top front of the shade down to the bar and clip it with a big clip, your child will be completely covered yet ventilation is allowed.

I recently purchased the Evenflo Xsport convenience stroller for our upcoming cruise in September.

It sells for $30. It's about 10 lbs. Has a removable canopy for sun protection. Has a a little storage basket and cup holders and a zipper compartment for personal items. The only feature it does not have is the reclining feature. It also has 2 mesh strips on the seat for better air ventilation. For $40, you can get one with extendable handles. The regular handle is high enough for most people.

It is great especially for the price! Hope this helps!

I recently purchased the Evenflo Xsport convenience stroller for our upcoming cruise in September.

It sells for $30. It's about 10 lbs. Has a movable canopy for sun protection. Has a a little storage basket and cup holders and a zipper compartment for personal items. The only feature it does not have is the reclining feature. It also has 2 mesh strips on the seat for better air ventilation. For $40, you can get one with extendable handles. The regular handle is high enough for most people.

It is great especially for the price! Hope this helps!

Just wanted to report back on what we finally found after some fairly extensive research. We decided on the Baby Trend Trendsport Lite. We got it at ToysRUs for $40. It has a nice reclining feature, a nice storage area underneath, cup holders, a sunshade and still folds fairly compactly. Here's a link to it on the ToysRUs website:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2671817

My second place contender (and ALMOST winner) was the Chicco Capri Stroller. I LOVED the print of the fabric (which is such an important factor when choosing :rolleyes: ). It did not recline as much as the other and had a smaller storage area and no cupholder. However, it did have a larger shade and folded up very compactly. It even came with a zip-up storage bag. It was $60, so a little more expensive than the other but still very reasonable. Here's the link to it:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2585640

I will probably be debating for a while whether I made the right decision. DH cast the final vote in favor of the Baby Trend stroller. So, if I wish I had the other, I'll blame him! ;)

Archived