PG/Bora Bora packing help please?

murphysmum

Hello...

I'm leaving next Monday for first trip to Tahiti and I'm veryexcited. I do have a couple of questions about clothing due to luggage weight restrictions.

I'm very familiar with country club casual, so no problems on board ship for dinner and pareaus will get me through the day. However, I'm curious if it ever gets cool enough in the evenings/dining rooms to take a pashmina for me and a sports jacket for my husband....or can we just enjoy being casual in the tropics and leave the warm things at home.

My main question is about the type of clothing to take to Bora Bora pre-cruise. It looks like we have a 22 lb. total weight limit. We're staying at Hotel Bora Bora, which looks pretty casual with daytime clothing no problem. I'm just curious what to take for dinners at H Bora Bora, Bloody Mary's, other restaurants. Do casual, tropical pants with a tee shirt work...or a sundress? Shorts okay for HB or long pants? Okay to leave the slightly more "upscale" silky stuff in checked luggage at the airport and skip taking it to Bora Bora? I'm not obsessive about fitting in, but I don't want to look like a bum in the dining room.

Thanks very much for any advice anyone can provide.

murphysmum;)

Ia Orana!

In Bora Bora all of the outfits you described would be fine..

In fact at Bloody Mary's you can check your sandals! (the islands version of a coat check)

I wasn't on the PG, but on the Pacific Princess on B2B for 22 days!

If you would like to view my photos of Moorea and Bora Bora, they are on our personal travel website

Here's the link for the main page, just go into

Karen's Cruise Corner

and then you will see the Pacific Princess link

http://when.do.we.leave.googlepages.com/

I guarantee you, they will put you in the mood!

After 25 years of sailing the world, this is now my favorite itinerary!

Feel free to wander other areas of the website, it's got

all sorts of nooks and crannies of interesting info!

Bon Voyage!

K.

Aloha, last time we were on the PG I had wished I had brought a little jacket as I got cold at nights and the hallways to the room are kept very cold. It sometimes got cold in the restaurants at night too. Everyone dresses pretty causual and we hardly every saw anyone with suits except for the crew. For lunch in the grill restaurant outside you can eat in coverups and t-shirts but the restaurant inside, a collared shirts and shorts for the gentlemen and sundresses or shorts and blouse for women. Of course the evenings long pants for men and pant suits or dresses for women. How long are you staying at Club Bora Bora? You will love it there and they have so many great activities right there. Check out the double parasailing excursion for either 100 or 300 meters, 15 or 25 min. We're planning this when we stay in Bora Bora May 4th thru 10 then the PG. You will simply have a great time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Aloha, last time we were on the PG I had wished I had brought a little jacket as I got cold at nights and the hallways to the room are kept very cold. It sometimes got cold in the restaurants at night too. Everyone dresses pretty causual and we hardly every saw anyone with suits except for the crew. For lunch in the grill restaurant outside you can eat in coverups and t-shirts but the restaurant inside, a collared shirts and shorts for the gentlemen and sundresses or shorts and blouse for women. Of course the evenings long pants for men and pant suits or dresses for women. How long are you staying at Club Bora Bora? You will love it there and they have so many great activities right there. Check out the double parasailing excursion for either 100 or 300 meters, 15 or 25 min. We're planning this when we stay in Bora Bora May 4th thru 10 then the PG. You will simply have a great time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Hey Aurite, we were going to do the parasailing in Moorea, but a double in Bora Bora sounds better. Do you know how much that costs in US. With our dollar so bad I bet it's expensive. But going up 900 feet versus 300 sounds awesome and for a longer time too.

Hello...

Thanks to all of you for the helpful information.

Karen, your pictures were amazing!

Aurite, we'll be at the Hotel Bora Bora the same time you'll be there and we're probably going back to Tahiti on the same plane to board the ship.

We don't "cling" to people we meet on trips, so don't worry about that, but if you'd like to say "Hi", we're both in our 60's...husband very thin and tan, white hair and beard (very professorial) and will be basking in full sun.

I'm a little "Rubenesque", dark hair and fair skin-probably burned by then, regulation black tank suit and will be either in the water or reading in a hammock. Beachfront, Matira side.

The parasailing sounds fun! I'm impressed with all of the activities they offer and don't plan to go far from the resort.

So, I look forward to meeting you either at the resort or on the ship.

Have a wonderful vacation and thanks for your helpful suggestions.

murphysmum (Janed)

Murphysmum

Thank you so much!

I received your post on our photo album...:)

A great way to start my morning!

It's really easy to do, and if you want me to teach you how

you can send me an email through our website

and I'll walk you through it!

Have a wondeful time on your cruise...

It's such a wonderful itinerary!

Hello...

I'm leaving next Monday for first trip to Tahiti and I'm veryexcited. I do have a couple of questions about clothing due to luggage weight restrictions.

I'm very familiar with country club casual, so no problems on board ship for dinner and pareaus will get me through the day. However, I'm curious if it ever gets cool enough in the evenings/dining rooms to take a pashmina for me and a sports jacket for my husband....or can we just enjoy being casual in the tropics and leave the warm things at home.

My main question is about the type of clothing to take to Bora Bora pre-cruise. It looks like we have a 22 lb. total weight limit. We're staying at Hotel Bora Bora, which looks pretty casual with daytime clothing no problem. I'm just curious what to take for dinners at H Bora Bora, Bloody Mary's, other restaurants. Do casual, tropical pants with a tee shirt work...or a sundress? Shorts okay for HB or long pants? Okay to leave the slightly more "upscale" silky stuff in checked luggage at the airport and skip taking it to Bora Bora? I'm not obsessive about fitting in, but I don't want to look like a bum in the dining room.

Thanks very much for any advice anyone can provide.

murphysmum;)

I went to the Air Tahiti site and read other message boards and they said the luggage limit was 44 lbs per person. Hope this is right as we both have suitcases around 40 lbs.:)

Hey Aurite, we were going to do the parasailing in Moorea, but a double in Bora Bora sounds better. Do you know how much that costs in US. With our dollar so bad I bet it's expensive. But going up 900 feet versus 300 sounds awesome and for a longer time too.

The double parasailing is $345 for 100 meters and $445 for meters. With our dollar so depleted (1 dollar = 76.1921 cfp) everything is expensive.

Hello...

Thanks to all of you for the helpful information.

Karen, your pictures were amazing!

Aurite, we'll be at the Hotel Bora Bora the same time you'll be there and we're probably going back to Tahiti on the same plane to board the ship.

We don't "cling" to people we meet on trips, so don't worry about that, but if you'd like to say "Hi", we're both in our 60's...husband very thin and tan, white hair and beard (very professorial) and will be basking in full sun.

I'm a little "Rubenesque", dark hair and fair skin-probably burned by then, regulation black tank suit and will be either in the water or reading in a hammock. Beachfront, Matira side.

The parasailing sounds fun! I'm impressed with all of the activities they offer and don't plan to go far from the resort.

So, I look forward to meeting you either at the resort or on the ship.

Have a wonderful vacation and thanks for your helpful suggestions.

murphysmum (Janed)

Actually after doing some research, we'll be staying at the Club Med for 6 days right around the corner from where your staying. Club Med is all inclusive including liquor. We were in Tahiti 2 years and stayed in OWB in Tahaa & Bora Bora and found the food & drinks extremely expensive. Just for the experience of your first time, the Bora Bora Hotel is a great choice. Club Med also has the best snorkeling spot we found at the Sofitel Mote which is an included free excursion. You'll see, and you will be happy aboard the PG where everything is included. I'm sure we'll meet you aboard, can't miss us, I'm 6'3" fair, and my wife is 4'll" olive complexion. We'll see you on the 10th.

Hello again,

Jim...Thanks for the packing list offer. I'll email today.

Aurite...Enjoy your time on Bora Bora...See you on the ship.

Seafaring Cindy...Thanks for the clarification about the luggage; the information solves all of my problems. I had found a post that stated that anything more than 22 lb. of luggage had to be stored in Papeete, leaving 22lb limit for inter-island flights. It seemed very cumbersome. I can easily fit everything into a 44 lb case...no problem.

This is such a great board; thanks to all of you for your advice.

Warmly,

murphysmum;)

I checked out the Air Tahiti Nui website: The 22 pound weight limit is for carryon. The checked baggage limit is 50 pounds in economy class.

The airline we're flying is Tahiti Air not Tahiti Nui, it's a different airline with different restrictions.

People frequently get mixed up with the baggage limitations for inter-island flights on Air Tahiti vs International flights on Air Tahiti Nui. Interisland flights have a more stringent limitation on checked and carry on baggage. The enforcement seems to be inconsistent but we saw several folks having to pay extra for extra weight or bags everytime we have been to FP.

Those staying at the Hotel Bora Bora get a last chance to experience the original French Polynesian resort as I understand the hotel is being demolished and rebuilt completely in the near future.

Hi!

Thanks for the information/clarification on the luggage weight. I find it completely confusing even when reading directly from their web site.

We're flying business class and on the ATN web site it says that if you've come on an international flight and are continuing to a smaller island you have a 44 lb. weight limit....on Air Tahiti (not Air Tahiti Nui...I'm not even sure if Air Tahiti Nui provides inter-island flights...does anyone know?) within a certain time limit....7 days I think.

However, on several threads, I've read that people have been penalized for taking more than 22 lbs. aboard the inter-island flights.

I guess that I'm going to pack under 44 lbs., take a small carry-on, and home that this works with Air Tahiti to and from Bora Bora before our cruise.

I also appreciate the information that they're tearing down the Hotel Bora Bora; I'm glad that we'll get to experience the old hotel before it goes. I've heard about it for so many years; it seems a shame that they can't refurbish instead of demolishing. Everyone has different tastes and I'm one of those who feels that new isn't always better.

Happy sailing...

murphysmum;)

My carry on gained weight on Tahaa and was over weight. I offered to redistribute between checked and carry on but the agent let it pass, I guess because we were OK over all. We always weigh everything before we leave home, but we really should just cut back on what we pack. We always bring too much even after three previous trips.

I think some of the confusion is that the limits I believe are posted in Kilos, so people get confused with the conversion to pounds, 1 kilo equals 2.2 ppounds or 20 kilos equals 44 pounds.

The info about the Hotel Bora Bora was provided by the lady who has the art gallery at Mateira Point. She said they were leveling the hotel and actually relocating the main road to provide more room for the new Hotel Bora Bora. She didn't appear to be too happy about it, but the folks on Bora Bora seem to be resigned to the continued building boom. The Four Seasons has residences included in its development, maybe the Hotel Bora Bora is going to do some thing similar.

Archived