Venice - Carnival shuttle port to St. Marks Sq?

Any past Carnival cruisers to Venice familiar with a shuttle from port to St. Marks Square? If yes, some details would also be appreciated.

If no shuttle, how did you best get to St. Marks?

I've searched and have seen available on some other cruise lines, but haven't seen anything for Carnival. Thanks for your help!

Hi! Not sailed into/out of Venice, so this is from my recollection of other's accounts:

There is a shuttle from where the ship is docked to Piazzala Roma, which is the "end of the line" for vehicles approaching Venice. From there on in, your only options are either a boat or your feet. The vaparettos (public water taxis) are the least expensive, quickest and most convenient way to make your way from Piazzala Roma to St. Mark's Square. You will essentially be traveling the length of the Grand Canal. :D

If there is a ticket booth at the vaparetto stop, and there will be one at P. Roma, purchase your tickets before boarding. If it is a less well trafficked stop and there is no ticket booth, you pay the attendant on board.

If your stay is pre/post cruise, be aware they do charge extra for bringing luggage on board the vaparetto, as they view the luggage taking up space that could otherwise be occupied by a paying passenger.

Other options would include a private water taxi (very expensive) or walking.

My best advice for a visit to Venice is to buy a very good map before you leave home. I swear by Insight Flexi-Maps because they are accurate and laminated to withstand drizzle, windy conditions and multiple un-foldings and re-foldings; these are available at Barnes & Noble, Borders, etc.

At the same time, there is a saying along the lines of: You haven't really been to Venice if you haven't gotten lost. I think it is very true: if you never deviate from the path traveled by the masses, say, between St. Marks and the Rialto, you'll not have seen the "real" Venice. Get away from the main tourist areas and allow yourself to just wander. Yes, you will get lost, but you will also find the true spirit of this incomparable city. And it's an island - so in the end you can't go too far wrong!:p

Enjoy your time in Venice! :)

I'll elaborate on the above answer, which is correct.

The shuttle will run continuously all day from the ship, and SOME go all the way to St. Mark's square. They usually cost about $10 per person per day.

However, there is a port operated shuttle bus to Piazzale Roma, and that's free I believe.

Look at this map:

http://www.vtp.it/pages/comeRaggiungerci/crociere.jsp?n=0

Up near number 107 is a blue box with a "P" in it, like a parking icon. This is the shuttle bus area, and it might be the red box a little up and to the right. The ships dock at numbers 107 - 112. Piazzale Roma is at the upper right side of the map.

If you go to Piazzale Roma, this is indeed the end of the line for the #1 vapretto, and that's the one you want to take. Get a 24-hour pass for about 10 - 15 Euros per person. The #1 goes all the way up the Grand Canal, and over to Murano. I suggest you take it up, back, and up again to St. Mark's square, so you can see BOTH sides of the Grand Canal.

Regarding maps: we used a folded, laminated map of Venice that we got at Barnes and Nobles bookstore. We have them for London, Paris, Amsterdam, and Venice. They are VERY handy, and the Venice map has all the vapretto stops on it.

Just to clarify please..

Is the shuttle bus from P. Roma to the cruise terminal port operated and not dependent on which cruise line you are on? If so, does anyone know whether it operates on all days when there is a cruise ship in port? I am sailing out of Venice on September 29 on HAL and it would be handy to know whether there will be a shuttle but to the ship on that day.

This information was found on the "Venice for Visitors" website.

From the Piazzale Roma:

Marittima is only a couple of minutes from the Piazzale Roma by taxi. A free shuttle bus normally runs on Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays during the cruise season, or you can ride the #6 bus to the port entrance. (Buy your ticket in the ACTV office in the Piazzale Roma.)

When I was there in October the bus was not running and it was cold and rainy. If you have any mobility problems I warn that there are many uphills and down. Many bridges to cross. It was far better to take the shuttle boat to St. Mark's for a daily price.

Fran

This information was found on the "Venice for Visitors" website.

From the Piazzale Roma:

Marittima is only a couple of minutes from the Piazzale Roma by taxi. A free shuttle bus normally runs on Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays during the cruise season, or you can ride the #6 bus to the port entrance. (Buy your ticket in the ACTV office in the Piazzale Roma.)

When I was there in October the bus was not running and it was cold and rainy. If you have any mobility problems I warn that there are many uphills and down. Many bridges to cross. It was far better to take the shuttle boat to St. Mark's for a daily price.

Fran

Absolutely agree......we were there in October and there was no shuttle bus. We walked over to Piazzale Roma, but thanks for the #6 bus info.

One other comment, also. Sit outside on the vapretto to get the best view of the Grand Canal. We put on rain gear and sat out there even in the light rain. It misted the whole time we were in Venice, and we loved every minute of it, rain or not!!!

Any past Carnival cruisers to Venice familiar with a shuttle from port to St. Marks Square? If yes, some details would also be appreciated.

If no shuttle, how did you best get to St. Marks?

I've searched and have seen available on some other cruise lines, but haven't seen anything for Carnival. Thanks for your help!

I was on the Freedom last year and did the shuttle. Actually we did it once because it was raining. I cannot remember the price, but it was a 3 minute bus ride to where you get the vaperetto to St Marks. You an walk down in about 10-15 minutes. When you get there buy a 24 hours pass. It worked well for us last year. By the way, we loved the cruise last year!!!! We took the shuttle back to the ship both days. They just put you on line and took us back. Good Luck and have a ball!!!!!!!

Archived