Anyone done the ocean racing?

TheRaven

We did the On Deck Ocean Race experience in March, 2008 and loved it. We were on the Farr 65's -- they use the Farr 40's later in the year. I posted a review here, but the search is down, so I can't find the link.

The instruction was good and the crew were great. The race itself was between 3 boats on a simple windward / leeward course. The wind was about 25 knots, waves about 7'. Everyone of the 12 passengers could participate if they wished -- all of ours did. We came in second, but the first boat "cheated" and would have had to take a penalty in a real race. The race only lasted about 30 minutes of the 4 hour excursion. After the race, we sailed in the harbor for about 30 minutes, giving all a chance to steer if they wanted. You will not be able to take pictures during the race -- too busy and no place to store a camera safely. Take pictures before and after.

The race was exciting in these wind and sea conditions and everyone on our crew worked hard at their jobs. The addreneline rush was definitely there. I had recently had a hip joint replacement and was concerned about my ability to handle the heeling (tilting) boat, but no problem. The jib sheet "grinder" winch on the Farr 65 is definitely a young mans job, but I handled the port side jib sheet winch drum with not problem (and my wife had the starboard side). My wife and I were the only experienced sailors / racers in our group, but everyone had a good time.

The rum punch back in the office was wonderful and powerful. Everyone was very pleasant and helpful. The crew took some pictures, and these were played for us on several TV screens in the office and they offered a CD of all of these pictures for $20 to take home.

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.ondeckoceanracing.com/stt/ondeck-st-thomas-performance-sailing.htm

have a great time

There is nothing like the real thing, the original racing tour is the Americas Cup Challenge in St Marten. When you finish you know you have had the ride of a lifetime these guys have perfected the experience, the one in St. Thomas lacks the excitement of real race boats! The crew try to make up for it but thats not what I paid for.:(

There is nothing like the real thing, the original racing tour is the Americas Cup Challenge in St Marten. When you finish you know you have had the ride of a lifetime these guys have perfected the experience, the one in St. Thomas lacks the excitement of real race boats! The crew try to make up for it but thats not what I paid for.:(

?? What makes you think they are not real racing boats ?

The 12 meters are like slugs compared to either the Farr 65's or 40s. They were originally designed in 1928. The meter boat design restrictions make them heavy (65,000 pounds) and slow to accelerate in comparison. They don't turn on a dime (not in their own boat length). Although "pretty" by many standards, the meter boats have been phased out of the America's Cup because of this relative poor performance when compared to modern designs.

The Farr 65s, set up properly, are serious race boats and compete in 'round the world races.

See Picture attached -- does this not look like a modern ocean racer??

421_01.jpg.8619ab3b4ece855a680c05eb34e3a6d0.jpg

The 12 meters are like slugs compared to either the Farr 65's or 40s. They were originally designed in 1928. The meter boat design restrictions make them heavy (65,000 pounds) and slow to accelerate in comparison. They don't turn on a dime (not in their own boat length). Although "pretty" by many standards, the meter boats have been phased out of the America's Cup because of this relative poor performance when compared to modern designs.

The Farr 65s, set up properly, are serious race boats and compete in 'round the world races.

See Picture attached -- does this not look like a modern ocean racer??

I agree. I have no idea why sailspirit would imply the Farr 65's or 40's are not real racing boats.

• 11 months later...

We're signed up for this on our re-routed Eastern itinerary. We had the option to do St. Maarten through Carnival but decided to do this independently instead b/c I've heard that they have a MUCH better program.

Archived