Can not use sunscreen in certain places in Cancun and Cozumel

ws293

Hi everyone,

About 10 years ago, I went to Cancun and Cozumel. I visit Xel-Ha, X-Caret and Chanakaab parks. In those places, they don’t allow the visitors use sunscreen or sun block lotion. They confiscated any sunscreen at the entrance. They rather for the visitors to get skin cancer than their fishes to die.

I’m going back to Cozumel and Cancun on our cruise in a few more weeks and I was wondering if this policy is still affective where they don’t let the visitors use sun screen or sun block lotion inside their parks.

Thanks

This is definitely the case - we were just at XCaret recently. They confiscate your sunscreen - unless you buy the biodegradeable variety. They have those for sale in most of the hotels and also at the gate to XCaret Xel-Ha and the like. I would be willing to bet you can also get these on board the ship or at home. Some brands that have the biodegradeable sunscreen are Nature's Gate, Kiss My Face and Caribbean Pacific. HTH.

They rather for the visitors to get skin cancer than their fishes to die.
Now, let me see. Options:-
  1. Ban sunscreen, fish survive, people get sunburn if they stay in sun too long.
  2. Allow sunscreen, people don't get burnt, fish die.
  3. No visitors, no sunburn, fish don't die.

If sunscreen hurts the fish, would you like to arrange these into your preferred order?

My option: Allow sunscreen - fish won't die

I've been to snorkeling in many places in Hawaii (Haunama Bay, Black Rock, Poipu Beach, etc..) and the Caribbean (St. John, Bahamas, etc...) they all allowed you to put on sunscreen in all those snorkeling places.

I've been back and forth to those places over the last 15 years and the fishes are still there.

Yes, there is a charge to those snorkeling places in Cancun/Cozumel (Xel Ha, Xcaret and Chankanaab park). Another thing is that the no sunscreen policy is not posted or advertised anywhere on the web site, travel information brochures, or in the cruise shore excursion information. The visitors found out the hard way when they get to the park entrance gate when they confiscate your sunscreen.

They want to protect their money generating asset which are the fishes, but mean while don’t give a early warning to the visitors about their policy because the are afraid the tourists will not visit those parks.

I felt at least they should let the visitors be aware of the sunscreen policy in advance so that you can be prepare.

Why don't you just put on your sunscreen before you go? You're supposed to do that anyway because it's recommended to apply sunscreen at least 1/2 hour before going out in the sun.

We were in Hawaii last summer and my DH bought 'Surfs Up' sunscreen (I think that's the name) for our daughter. We only had to apply it once a day. We were at the beach at least 5 hours every day and she was in and out of the water the whole time. That stuff was so potent - poor kid came back whiter than when she left! You would never have known she spent 2 1/2 weeks in Hawaii.

Why don't you just put on your sunscreen before you go?

I sometimes put on my sunscreen before I got to the beach, but I know some other people who didn't put on sunscreen until when they arrived by bus, taxi because of the long duration trip (an hour or more), if they put on the sunscreen before and put on their clothing, during the long duration trip the clothing would rub off the sun screen.

Nevertheless, if there were some kind of advanced warning or notification about the sunscreen policy, I rather put on sunscreen before I go and have some of the sunscreen rub off in my clothing rather than you get to the park and they confiscate your sunscreen leaving you without any sun protection.

You know, I am really tired of people complaining about rules. I come from a family of 7 children. Could you imagine "no rules". Go to a dictator country and try to live. Rules are everywhere for a reason. Do you think that someone just did not like the sunscreen companies so they said no sunscreen allowed. Get a clue please, rules are here for good. If you don't want to follow rules - stay in your home and do not leave. I am sure I will get flamed, so go to it but remember the rules.

I think I will go drive 120 MPH down the highway because I want to and there should not be any rules to stop me. I don't care if I kill someone else. GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

Cruise-nut, I'm not complaining about the rules. It would be nice if someone let you know what the rules are and don't hide it.

Some rules are good some rules don't make sense. We are in America we stand up for the rules which don't make sense. This is America a free country, we fought and die for that big price of freedom and we have every rights to question and doubt about certain rules. Don't be so narrow minded GET A CLUE and WAKE UP!!!!

WS293 - I read your post again and it sure seemed to me and others that posted on this topic that you are complaining. You said that they would rather see you get skin cancer than the fish dying. By the way, if you think you will get skin cancer after 1 day in the sun of getting a sunburn - You are the one that needs to get a clue and wake up. YOU ARE COMPLAINING & YOU MUST THINK THAT YOU ARE ABOVE THE REST OF US BECAUSE YOU LIVE IN THE USA AND SHOULD NOT HAVE TO FOLLOW THE RULES LIKE THE REST OF US. YES WE DID FIGHT FOR FREEDOM BUT THERE IS A LIMIT ON THE AMOUNT OF FREEDOM YOU CAN HAVE WITHOUT CONCEQUENCES. SO GET A CLUE.

All this over sunscreen????? I don't mind being told to wear the biodegradable stuff to protect the fish. I don't mind wearing a shirt in the water to cover up if need be. I always wear a hat when I'm not in the water. If you don't want to get sunburned, cover up.

I think some people think only of themselves, not other people or our beautiful earth.

Hey Cruise-Nut, you got off on the wrong side of bed this morning. WS293 doesn't sounds like he's complaining, all he wanted was to ask an honest question and hoping for some honest answers which are not posted anywhere and you instead of answering his question you flamed him. Is this what cruise critic board is all about?

But, ws293 - you are NOT IN AMERICA when visiting Chanakaab, Xel-Ha, or Xcaret. You are in a foreign country which can set whatever standards they like. Take it or leave it. Years ago, while staying at a resort in Cancun, I booked an excursion to Tulum and Xel-Ha. We were told when we booked the tour about the necessity for biodegradeable sunblock at Xel-Ha, as we planned to do river snorkelling. We were more than happy to buy our own at a "farmacia" near the resort, because we were told it would be more expensive at the park. BTW - these are "ECO PARKS", and the Mexican government (not the US government) has determined that these Parks be as uncontaminated as possible. I don't know if you have ever been to the Mayan Riviera area of Mexico, where these Parks are (except Chankanaab, which is on Cozumel), but they receive hundreds of visitors EVERY DAY. I have been to all three of them - sounds like you haven't, so unless you can provide a little more prudent and rational reason for "standing up for your rights" - or whatever - please don't visit these fabulous Parks, which are all worth seeing. One person wearing regular sunblock probably won't make a difference. Thousands each week doing the same thing will. They're not just "beaches". They are ecological Parks which offer a variety of plant and native animal life. I say Bravo to the Mexican government for protecting these truly beautiful areas! So....please don't be so "narrow-minded", and realize that the US - while wonderful - is only a small part of THE REST OF THE WORLD. Capice? Thanks.

Sure looks like complaining to me.

Yes, he started off asking an honest question, but then complained that the park wanted him to get skin cancer rather than let the fish die. Every message he's gone off on a different tirade. First, he complains that he wasn't notified and then claims they 'hide' the sunscreen rule because they're afraid people won't show up. Then he goes off on the ugly-American theme and how he's supposed to question any rules that don't make sense.

Even when I suggested that he just put on the sunscreen before he gets there, he complained about that.

He even complains that people say he's complaining.

We were just in Cozeumel last week and used sunscreen and no one said anything. I'm sure if they wanted to enforce it they would. The bathrooms are more of a health hazzard than sunscreen if you know what I mean. they reek of foul smells and and are very dirty. Anyway I would follow rules if they had insisted.

tmartin1 and cruise-nut you two are the ones complaining about what other people post.

You lacked people-skills, you don't understand other's messages.

Anyhow, based on your reactions to someone post on a question, I hope you don't read my question when I post one.

If someone post a question and if you don't like it, please just go away instead of flamming them. It is not what they are looking for on this board.

You forgot me, FamilyMan. I wasn't complaining, though - just trying to point out the reality.

Spatz - it depends on where you go in Cozumel. At Playa Sol and Paradise Beach, you don't have to use biodegradeable sunblock....because they are BEACHES, and not ECO PARKS.

WS293 - I read your post again and it sure seemed to me and others that posted on this topic that you are complaining. You said that they would rather see you get skin cancer than the fish dying. By the way, if you think you will get skin cancer after 1 day in the sun of getting a sunburn - You are the one that needs to get a clue and wake up. YOU ARE COMPLAINING & YOU MUST THINK THAT YOU ARE ABOVE THE REST OF US BECAUSE YOU LIVE IN THE USA AND SHOULD NOT HAVE TO FOLLOW THE RULES LIKE THE REST OF US. YES WE DID FIGHT FOR FREEDOM BUT THERE IS A LIMIT ON THE AMOUNT OF FREEDOM YOU CAN HAVE WITHOUT CONCEQUENCES. SO GET A CLUE.

Actually,one severe sunburn can DRASTICALY increase your chance of skin cancer.

However,there is a small movement studying the chemicals in Sunscreen that are believed to lead to higer risks ,as well as a "false" sense of security while using it...leads to higher risks....

Feel free to talk amongst yourselves :)

Pet peeve--people who think they must use all CAPITOL letters to get their point across.:rolleyes: All caps is a form of yelling and is really uncalled for.

Sorry to get on my soap box but I REALLY hate that:D

Archived