Us Airways???

ozcaz

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has any further updates on US Air.

Globaliser do you know anything else? Will they still be flying at the end of the year. Read further down they should be okay till xmas.

Would appreciate any info you have. Dont hear any news on them here at all.

Many thanks

Caz

I've been reading the alerts several times per day, and still nothing that indicates any major movement.

If you have flights through Pittsburgh, like I do, anytime after the General Election, then I'd worry -- no so much about US Airways going Chapter 7 that soon, but that they'll cancel those flights (they're severely reducing service at Pittsburgh, decommissioning it as a hub, in favor of Philadelphia and Charlotte, in "early November"), and you'll be transferred onto another connection that may not meet your time requirements.

The experts are still projecting that US Airways, itself, should last through the end of the year. They claim that they can make it until February, but I'm not holding out much hope for my January US Airways flights. I may make it to San Juan, but I don't expect to make it back, on US Airways at least.

I haven't heard much news. The only thing that I did hear is that a new offer has been made to the pilots union and the union is deciding whether it's worth putting to the membership. It's now well known that that union is deeply riven by internal political strife, so what the next step will be is anyone's guess. If there is news, I will try and post it to the original thread so everyone can see.

Do you know what would happen in this situation......I booked United flights through US Airways. They have US Airway numbers, but they are on United. I've heard of people with the opposite situation too.......US Airway flights booked through United. Any comments?

Do you know what would happen in this situation......I booked United flights through US Airways. They have US Airway numbers, but they are on United. I've heard of people with the opposite situation too.......US Airway flights booked through United. Any comments?

Both airlines code share. That is, they offer seats on the other's airline. Normally, it is for routes that the other doesn't offer. If you have United flights that are actually USAirways flights, you check in with US. If, and a big IF, USAirways shuts down completely, then UA will try to protect you on other flights. Hopefully, IF it ever happens, another airline will step in and take over US's routes.

There is a big question, right now, whether any airline would be willing to step in for US Airways if it goes under, even though some airline or airlines have stepped in for bankrupt airlines in all but a couple of cases in the past. This may be the first major to go under without some other airline picking up the pieces. The only US Airways assets that any other airline really wants are terminal slots, and those can be gotten much cheaper in a fire sale than as part of efforts to mitigate a liquidation.

The only US Airways assets that any other airline really wants are terminal slots, and those can be gotten much cheaper in a fire sale than as part of efforts to mitigate a liquidation.

What other airlines may be interested in are the routes. USAirways flies into East coast cities that no one else has a major presence in.

Other than the Shuttle, other airlines can better use their own equipment and their own operations to serve the cities that US Airways' demise would leave under-served. So instead of taking on US Airways' liabilities, including obligations to passengers, contracts with workers, leases, etc., these airlines could just pick up the slots and serve those cities themselves. Already, Southwest is greedily looking at PHL and BOS as places to expand, once there isn't a major airline hub in the former and a major airline international gateway in the other. Jet Blue has already added some extra service from BOS, and are looking to add more. You can be sure that neither would be willing to take on any of US Airways onerously expensive contracts or leases.

Well, good news for passengers -- bad news for pilots, mechanics, flight attendants, etc.

Update 3: US Airways Gets OK to Cut Workers' Pay

Forbes - USA

A bankruptcy judge granted US Airways authority Friday to immediately cut the pay of its union workers by 21 percent through mid-February, saying the airline's ...

See all stories on this topic

US Airways can force pay cuts

Washington Business Journal - Washington,DC,USA

US Airways, which has been unable to negotiate all of the concessions it wants from unions, won court approval Friday to force pay cuts on its workers. ...

US Airways Statement Regarding Interim Relief Approval

Yahoo News (press release) - USA

15 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- US Airways Chief Executive Officer Bruce R. Lakefield issued the following statement after the decision today by Judge Stephen S ...

Bankruptcy judge lets US Airways cut worker pay 21%: 'fiscal time ...

Canada.com - Canada

ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) - A bankruptcy judge granted US Airways authority Friday to immediately cut the pay of its unionized workers by 21 per cent, saying the ...

US Airways to cut wages 21%

The Globe and Mail (subscription) - Toronto,ON,Canada

-- A bankruptcy judge granted US Airways authority Friday to ... Under the 2- per-cent cut, the average US Airways salary would drop from $59,509 to $47,012. ...

US Airways gets OK to cut workers' pay

Boston.com - Boston,MA,USA

By Matthew Barakat, AP Business Writer | October 15, 2004. ALEXANDRIA, Va. -- A bankruptcy judge granted US Airways authority Friday to immediately cut the pay ...

Archived