Who Has Booked Alaska for '09???

Host Caroline

I must have read the wrong area....because all I saw was no shorts, t-shirts, or bathing suits :confused: . I have just read from other sites, and other cruisers that on an Alaskan cruise formal nights are still very formal, but other dinners tend to be more casual. I guess I will just pack accordingly and hope for the best. Thank you for your honesty.

Personally I could care less what the person at the next table wears. There are threads ad nauseum about what to wear/jeans. Just search the RCCL thread. It gets heated and I don't understand why. It's your vacation. I use the time to help teach my boys what dressing up is like and why as an investment in their future, not for what anyone thinks. I hope you have a great cruise regardless of what you guys decide to do!

Karen

We have started booking our excursions on line as soon as they become available. I especially do this for ones that have limited seating, like flights up to see the bears, or small boats for whale watching. I think you can cancel 24-48 hours prior to the start of the excursions, if you change your mind.

If you wait until you board the ship, you may find yourself standing in a long, long line - I've seen them.

Enjoy your trip - Alaska is wonderful.

We’ve done it!!! My wife and I have booked Northbound Vancouver - Seward on Statendam on June 7. We got a good discount from a ta offering a one-week sale on the Internet and this combined with some very good early-bird airfares tipped the balance.

This will be our first visit to Alaska an also our first cruise on HAL. We are planning on a one-week DIY tour including Seward, Anchorage, Denali and Fairbanks and are reading lots of good advice from this board.

We are booked for August 24th on the Coral...can't wait to visit Alaska. I remember on our first cruise the experienced cruisers told us that once we cruised Alaska, nothing else would compare. Well over 15 years and 5 cruises later, we're finally going!

Now, we just have to determine which port tours we'll go on! 10 months of planning should be enough time to figure it out!;)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally booked and got a great price - while on phone with TA dropped from $1150 to $599. My mother and I and another couple are doing an 8 day independent pre-cruise tour. North (Anchorage to Fairbanks( on Alaska Railroad with 2 nights in Denali and south by rented SUV with an overnight at Talkeetna. Can't wait. Any advice about shore excursions would be welcome. Think we may do a Chilkoot Charter rail/bus from Skagway to Carcross, Yukon. I'm interested in a whale watching tour - maybe in Juneau. Has anyone sailed on the Sapphire? My first time on Priness after years of sailing RCI and Celebrity. The Glacier Bay itinerary sold me on this cruise.

YES!!! :D

We are going to Alaska May 30. 2009 on the Serenade of the Seas,

and very much looking forward to it.

This will be our 2nd cruise to Alaska on Princess. This time we will be on the Coral Princess departing 9/10/2009. We are doing the 4 day pre and 2 day post cruise.

DJ127

We were on the Coral last month - beautiful ship :)

We are just in the process of booking NCL Star leaving Seattle on August 8, 2009. This will be my DH and my second cruise - we did Golden Princess to Mexico last December, but the first cruise for my two teen-agers. We picked NCL because I thought the "freestyle" would be a better fit for the kids. I hope there is enough for them to do on sea days.

We were also considering a RCCL Mexican cruise but not having to fly was the deciding factor (plus really wanting to see Alaska).

Esmo

My wife and I are taking the Island Princess on 9/7 SB to Vancouver. Very excited about our first cruise and first trip to Alaska. Just booked it today! I am finding the postings here very helpful as we decide on excursions. We are also going to spend 3 nights on the Kenai peninsula before the cruise.

My husband and I are traveling May 10th, 2009 to Alaska on the Star Princess, out of Seattle. We've cruised many times before, but always on Royal Caribbean. We are so excited!

We've never been to Alaska, & really didn't want to travel on RC on the Radiance. We really prefer there "big ships", so decided to spice things up a little & try Princess this time around.

I've already been very pleased with the customer service I've received, the "anytime dining option", larger staterooms, & being able to access my cruise options right online. Like...I love paying off the balance online...so convenient! Just a few things RC didn't allow us to do.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Royal Caribbean, & will definitely travel with them in the future, but I just wish they traveled Alaska on one of their bigger ships. Just more to do I guess. My husband and I even married on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship 5 years ago in the Caribbean...we truly love the cruise line, but we just wanted a change, & so far are really pleased.

I hope Princess is all we hope it to be!

June...that is.

Out of Seattle. NCL Star although after reading many posts maybe we made a bad choice. Our anniversary. SIKED and so ready! First time to Alaska. DH first time to Seattle. Arriving early to see the sights! We WERE really looking forward to our champagne and wine aboard the ship but not so sure now with all the posts we've read about smuggling. Can't believe it's REALLY that big a deal to carry a few bottles of wine aboard a ship. anyway, we are counting down the days.

2000 - Carnival Fantasy

2002 - Sovereign of the Seas

2004 - Rhapsody

Hi Planodeb, you will love the Serenade. We are neighbors, I'm just to the East of you in The Colony. We did a 2 week trip to Hawaii last year on the Serenade and loved it. We will be doing the Southbound Alaska on the Radiance a couple of weeks after you are on the Serenade

I just booked Diamond northbound June 20, 2009. It's a belated 25th anniversary for my DH and I and graduation for my DD (who would really like to meet a cute boy on the trip!:eek:).

According to this thread and the Diamond Roll Call, we have the ship to ourselves! Does that mean the upgrade fairy will visit? And how many categories do they upgrade in such a case?:D

I booked my first real cruise ever and my first time to Alaska back in June. I'm set to leave on 9/11/09 with the Radiance, and that for 14 night. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm still trying to find a reason to celebrate on board :D, but I can find none. Oh heck, I'll just celebrate for the fun of it :)

Archived