Dolphin Swim in Cabo

LUVS2CRUZE

Hi

Has anyone done the Dolphin Swim in Cabo???

Is it fun?

How much time do you get to swim with the dolphins?

What type of things do you do?

Is the Swimming with the Dolphins better in Puerto Vallarta?

Any suggestions???

We did the dolphin swim----a ship's tour with Carnival Elation.

The cost was $115.00 (?) each. I thought I overheard one of the girls at the facility say that they only allow ship's tours to book, but I may be wrong.

At any rate, when you check in, you are given a color. You wait until your color is called. There is a nice changing area with lockers, and a nice outdoor waiting area.

I believe you have actually 30 minutes in the water---can't remember. Think the ship's info said a 1 hour tour.

It is very close to the pier. We walked to it.

You go in groups of 8 swimmers per dolphin and trainer. At first you're just in the water (wearing life jacket), and the dolphin swims around you. Then you hold it's flippers and it will dance with you. Next comes the dolphin kiss. My photo of Mike was used on a cruise board for picture of the day.

Then, you swim 1/2 way out into the pool (I can't swim, but I got out there !) and the dolphin swims to you, you grab onto the dorsal ? (top) fin, and it tows you back to the pool ledge. Very cool !

The last photo op is the one you see in my avatar---the dolphin gets up on the ledge and you get to touch it before the last photo is taken.

We thought it was well worth the money. Nice facility, well cared for dolphins, and the water is clean. They do have a photographer taking pictures, which you can buy. Somewhat pricey, but we bought 8 and put them on a CD.

If you have someone who isn"t swimming, they can sit in the seats near the pool for $10.00.

We loved it !

Pat

I contacted Cabo Dolphins before hand to see if I could book directly with them and they said no. They only book thru the ship excursions. Ship excursions was $163/pp and Cabodolphins website said $165/pp with internet booking discount for a little less. We checked in at the pier when we got off the tender and they told us we could go on our own to the facility at our alotted time since we already had checked in with them at the pier. It is a very easy walk - you can see the building on the opposite side of the tender pier - maybe 10 minute walk max.

Yes, there is a locker room (men & womens) with bathrooms so you can store your jewelry and personal items. They provide towels so you really don't need anything. They won't allow you to take pictures (they want you to buy theirs).

You have a brief introduction to the anatomy of your dolphin. Note, the trainers are hispanic and sometimes hard to understand with their heavy accents. Then they gear you up with lifejackets and have you shower off then you get your one-on-one time with your dolphin. Ours was Jenny and she had a mind of her own and didn't always understand the commands. She was one of the younger dolphins. I wanted to ride the dorsal fin but she kept wanting me to ride the pectoral fins so we were belly to belly. My DH got to ride the dorsal fin. We got the kiss on the cheek. Our group of 7 was in the water while Jenny swam all around us and we could touch her as she went by. The power in her tail was incredible. You almost felt like she would bruise you when she swam by you from the tail that hit your leg. Each of us held a pole on each end and Jenny jumped over the pole and got a great photo of it. Actually, all the photos were great and I wished I had bought more. I got 3 photo's 6x8 size and a t-shirt for $78. They were selling a cd with 8 photos on it for $99 but they weren't printed photos so you still had to pay someone to print them. I wish I had done that so I could have more photo's. It was an experience that I will always remember. So much so that I booked another trip to Cabo so my kids could do it. It is incredible.

I don't know if Puerta Vallarta is better but it is cheaper than Cabo & heard it is a great facility. They do have an area to the side for spectators but I think it is like the previous poster indicated that you have to pay cuz it is roped off & they have to allow you to get to that point. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Archived