Train to tampa

Quikster

Anyone travel by train lately? I would assume they are somewhat on time. If we are supposed to arrive Saturday Evening what are the chances that we would not get there in time for our cruise Sunday?

Anyone travel by train lately? I would assume they are somewhat on time. If we are supposed to arrive Saturday Evening what are the chances that we would not get there in time for our cruise Sunday?

There was a thread about train travel a couple of weeks ago. Here is the link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=765908&highlight=amtrak

If you plan to arrive by train pad the time by 1-2 days. Trains can run very, very late.

This is reasonable. I like taking the train, and if I was traveling to Tampa for my Inspiration cruise, I would do the same thing . . . arrive the day before.

Be prepared that the train might run several hours late. Usuualy they are on time or arrive about 1 or two hours late. The poor time keeping is a result of the trains being held up by freight traffic.

If you are coming from the north be aware that there are 2 trains a day that go to florida. One of them serves Tampa directly, the other involves a bus connection from Orlando.

So choose carefully if you want to avoid a bus ride.

This is reasonable. I like taking the train, and if I was traveling to Tampa for my Inspiration cruise, I would do the same thing . . . arrive the day before.

Be prepared that the train might run several hours late. Usuualy they are on time or arrive about 1 or two hours late. The poor time keeping is a result of the trains being held up by freight traffic.

If you are coming from the north be aware that there are 2 trains a day that go to florida. One of them serves Tampa directly, the other involves a bus connection from Orlando.

So choose carefully if you want to avoid a bus ride.

Yep unfortunately it looks like there is no good option to and from Tampa.

We do not want to ride a Bus at all so we would have to wait several hours between trains.

On the way down we'd have to leave Friday and get to Savanna @ 9PM then Savanna to Tampa @ 4AM and on the way back leave at 5PM from Tampa arriving @ 1:AM Savanna and then the train doesn't head to Charleston till 8:00AM :(

Yep unfortunately it looks like there is no good option to and from Tampa.

We do not want to ride a Bus at all so we would have to wait several hours between trains.

On the way down we'd have to leave Friday and get to Savanna @ 9PM then Savanna to Tampa @ 4AM and on the way back leave at 5PM from Tampa arriving @ 1:AM Savanna and then the train doesn't head to Charleston till 8:00AM :(

We were looking into taking a train from here in Charleston, SC to Fort Lauderdale for our February cruise and ran into the same problem with connections in Savannah.

If the Savannah train station is in the same part of town as the Charleston train station, I don't think a 1AM-8AM layover is terribly safe.

Bill

We were looking into taking a train from here in Charleston, SC to Fort Lauderdale for our February cruise and ran into the same problem with connections in Savannah.

If the Savannah train station is in the same part of town as the Charleston train station, I don't think a 1AM-8AM layover is terribly safe.

Bill

yep, i have no idea where in Savanna it is, but I don't' want to stay anywhere there for 7 hours with luggage overnight.

Archived