The Ventura Maiden Report (18 April - 2 May)

Ps646566,

An interesting comment and in my view as a long term cruiser who has sailed on older ships and also the Canberra. Standards have improved greatly on most ships. The problem is that people’s expectations have gone sky high.

Having sailed with P&O and other cruise lines in the 80's I can confirm that food choice and standards in my opinion are far superior now then that period.

The slipping of standards is maybe more to do with the type of passengers that cruise ships attract now then the actual ships themselves. The concept of all inclusive in my opinion attracts the wrong type of person in the first place nothing in this world is free.

People that are complaining about standards should be listened to as you say if they are in fact correct, but in this world and on the good old internet their are a number of so called pro moaners who make it their life times ambition to find fault with everything.

It is far easier to find fault than to commend and be positive.

Hi there

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on some of your comments. We have been cruising a long time and yes started on the Canberra we have been extremely loyal to P&O and always championed them as a company. However, having introduced a number of people to cruising over the years and from my personal experience, standards have definately dropped.

I think the problems are not so much on the ship, although there are cost cutting exercised going on, which I suppose is understandable and some indeed are valid i.e. pool towels not readily available, no free ice cream in the afternoon, payment for films, no soft drinks for kids and tea and coffee not available throughout the day on the deck, to name just a few, yes minor and in the scheme of things not a 'big deal', but do change the 'special 'luxury' feel of being valued.

However, the main problems seem to stem from the customer care side of things and 'downmarketing' cruising. Again understandable in the current market, but existing clients are just as important as gaining new ones. Not listening yes, being a bit 'gung ho' e.g the Maiden not the Maiden. Changing things after they are booked, with no apology or 'care'. The 'take it or leave it' attitude.

I do think you are correct in the passengers changing, but that is because P&O under their American owners, have targeted a different market. What I fear is that soon I will be on a floating 'Butlins', there are plenty of similarities and I only went to Butlins once in the 1960's!!

Ventura it seems is a bit of a cross over and an interesting departure. For those of us, who don't want the 'stuffy and pretentious side' of cruising, but like the 'posh' element it could be brilliant. On the other hand it could be a disaster and for us, the end of our relationship with P&O.

Derek has given me heart as to the ship and I am feeling a bit more positive about our cruise, as I would like to stay with P&O. But time will tell. We go on 30th.

Kate

Hi Derek,

Phew!! I've finally got to the end of your fantastic report and now feel like a holiday, although I only got off the Oceana 3 days ago.

We're on the Ventura around the Med in September, so was eagerly awaiting your "book". I had fish for a starter, almost every night last week on Oceana, so will ask on Ventura. I also had (like you) rabbit, wild boar sausage and ostrich last Friday night - they must be swapping recipes. If they don't let me have enough sauce on my m/c, I will mention your name!

I'm not looking forward to the fug when passing the Exchange. Why not put it on the Sky deck out of the way?

Thank you for such an interesting and detailed report. I'm looking forward to our Sept. cruise very much.

Best wishes,

Windsong2

Hi Derek

I agree with the other "posters" here and thank you very much for your amusing and balanced review of Ventura. I will be going on the Med Legacies cruise in Sept and as a "first time cruiser" found your detailed opinions and experiences invaluable.

If anyone has menu details for Club dining I would be grateful and does anyone know when the new P&O website will be up and running? I hope it's quicker than the current one!

Regards

Bella36

Archived