Portable UV toothbrush sterilizer

Not really cuise related, but travel related.... I found today at Wal-Mart a toothbrush case/UV sterilizer for $12. It's competitor (Violight) is $30 for the travel size. Look at www.healthybrush.com

I know there has been a lot of threads about Noro... germs.... viruses... so I thought I would just pass this along. For the serious 'germ-o-phobes" they now make a UV wand that you can wave over beds, comforters, bathroom's.

These people will soon have no immune system at all...they'll need to live in a plastic bubble.

Anyone can get exposed to Norovirus or other germs....the big difference in whether you get sick or not is how strong your immune system is....the more germ killers and UV lights you use, the weaker your immune system becomes.

You need healthy bacteria!!

And who's to say that UV toothbrush cleaner really works? How do you know? Just something to ponder...

But seriously... people often ask why I don't use one of those shopping cart covers with my kids or wipe down the cart before I put him in there... well my parents didn't use them with me and I turned out fine. I think most of the reason why people are so sick these days is because they've killed all of the healthy bacteria around them... so the littlest virus makes them sick.

Buy a tiny plastic cover for your toothbrush. They are tiny little rectangles that snap of the part that goes in your mouth.

Snap it on and stick it back in your makeup case when you finish brushing your teeth.

I always put my toothbrush away because the idea of a "dirty" rag accidently wiping across my toothbrush sounds awful.

It's not the germ factor it's the YUCK factor.:eek:

But seriously... people often ask why I don't use one of those shopping cart covers with my kids or wipe down the cart before I put him in there... well my parents didn't use them with me and I turned out fine. I think most of the reason why people are so sick these days is because they've killed all of the healthy bacteria around them... so the littlest virus makes them sick.

I wipe mine down when I can simply because I don't care to catch a cold if I can help it. I also avoid doorknobs, especially in public bathrooms. I don't live in a bubble at all and do occasionally catch a cold, or have a tummy problem for a couple of days. I avoid using antibacterial soap when I can, regular soap is fine and I don't carry a bottle of hand sanitizer. To a point you're correct, but just being around other human beings is enough exposure without directly touching dirty germy surfaces.

Your reasoning is like those emails that are passed around stating "how did we ever grow up without" and then there is a list of safety precautions that weren't around 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago. Well, the majority of us did survive, but I'd hate for those emails to reach family and friends who lost or had a child severely injured due to something that could have been and is now preventable with safety precautions.

I would not buy the above mentioned toothbrush holder, but I do pack my toothbrushes into a case, the case is aerated so the toothbrush can dry without becoming gross with wet germs. A toothbrush is a wonderful place for germs to multiply and grow, I rinse it out well and pour a bit of Listerine on it before use.

If I can avoid an illness on vacation that has cost us plenty, you bet I'll use a few precautions.

And who's to say that UV toothbrush cleaner really works? How do you know? Just something to ponder....

Healthy bacteria is the good bacteria you need in your mouth, intestines, etc.... like what is found in yougurt. There is no need for any bacteria, regardless of kind, on your toothbrush. You certainly DO NOT NEED healthy bacteria on your toothbrush.

The toothbrush cleaner does work.... UV light is used in many industries to destroy and irradicate germs and viruses. UV sterilizers are even made for your heat pumps and A/C systems. My wife (a bio-chemist) and I have had fun going germ counts around the home and my workplace. UV light does work. FYI.... in a typical household there are more germs on the computer keyboard than on the toilet seat.

I am not trying to live in a bubble. You are going to be exposed to enough 'stuff' anyway... I just feel you might as well take the precautions that you can.

Not that it is that big of a deal, but I bet the cruise industry uses UV in its air systems and possible water treatment.

Buy a tiny plastic cover for your toothbrush. They are tiny little rectangles that snap of the part that goes in your mouth.

Snap it on and stick it back in your makeup case when you finish brushing your teeth.

I always put my toothbrush away because the idea of a "dirty" rag accidently wiping across my toothbrush sounds awful.

It's not the germ factor it's the YUCK factor.:eek:

I always use one of those plastic covers for my toothbrush when traveling...

I wipe mine down when I can simply because I don't care to catch a cold if I can help it. I also avoid doorknobs, especially in public bathrooms. I don't live in a bubble at all and do occasionally catch a cold, or have a tummy problem for a couple of days. I avoid using antibacterial soap when I can, regular soap is fine and I don't carry a bottle of hand sanitizer. To a point you're correct, but just being around other human beings is enough exposure without directly touching dirty germy surfaces.

Your reasoning is like those emails that are passed around stating "how did we ever grow up without" and then there is a list of safety precautions that weren't around 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago. Well, the majority of us did survive, but I'd hate for those emails to reach family and friends who lost or had a child severely injured due to something that could have been and is now preventable with safety precautions.

I would not buy the above mentioned toothbrush holder, but I do pack my toothbrushes into a case, the case is aerated so the toothbrush can dry without becoming gross with wet germs. A toothbrush is a wonderful place for germs to multiply and grow, I rinse it out well and pour a bit of Listerine on it before use.

If I can avoid an illness on vacation that has cost us plenty, you bet I'll use a few precautions.

While I agree that there's a lot of really good safety precautions out there now... because of the society we live in... I also think that most companies have learned to market to new parents who think they need everything to protect their child when in fact it's just that... marketing... I just think some things are completely overboard.

Healthy bacteria is the good bacteria you need in your mouth, intestines, etc.... like what is found in yougurt. There is no need for any bacteria, regardless of kind, on your toothbrush. You certainly DO NOT NEED healthy bacteria on your toothbrush.

The toothbrush cleaner does work.... UV light is used in many industries to destroy and irradicate germs and viruses. UV sterilizers are even made for your heat pumps and A/C systems. My wife (a bio-chemist) and I have had fun going germ counts around the home and my workplace. UV light does work. FYI.... in a typical household there are more germs on the computer keyboard than on the toilet seat.

I am not trying to live in a bubble. You are going to be exposed to enough 'stuff' anyway... I just feel you might as well take the precautions that you can.

Not that it is that big of a deal, but I bet the cruise industry uses UV in its air systems and possible water treatment.

I wasn't trying to say that you want healthy bacteria on your toothbrush... I was simply stating that sometimes things are just too much... like above... it's in the marketing!! Your toothbrush is probably sitting in a holder on your bathroom counter... so everytime you flush, you're getting fecal matter in the air which then falls on your toothbrush!! YUCK! But would I buy a UV sanitizer for it...probably not. I am a big fan of taking precautions, though... There's a difference in being clean and going overboard. That's all I was trying to say...

Your toothbrush is probably sitting in a holder on your bathroom counter... so everytime you flush, you're getting fecal matter in the air which then falls on your toothbrush!! YUCK!

Whoa! Thats some toilet you have there!:eek::D

Haha. My husband actually asked for the Violight one for Christmas...and that was one of his gifts from me. I found it so funny that out of all the gifts I got him, he was so excited about that one.

He puts his toothbrush in about once a week to kill whatever is on it for good measure. But he uses it after everytime he brushes when he is sick. Makes sense...no need to stick those germs back in your mouth after you get healthy again.

He does have a weak immune system, and so this causes him to be extra careful when it comes to germ matters.

I have a Vio-light too.... No fecal matter on my toothbrush:D I know there are a lot of marketing strategies out there. UV is not one of them... it's scientific. I dare to say, but you would kill more germs if you waved your hand under a UV light than using the alcohol based sanitizers that really dont work. {{Hey, that may be an idea for Windjammer... LOL}}

I have a Vio-light too.... No fecal matter on my toothbrush:D I know there are a lot of marketing strategies out there. UV is not one of them... it's scientific. I dare to say, but you would kill more germs if you waved your hand under a UV light than using the alcohol based sanitizers that really dont work. {{Hey, that may be an idea for Windjammer... LOL}}

You would have to hold your hands under the UV light for a while in order for it to work. :D UV is Not an instant killer!!

Archived