Taxi rate within Rome

We were in Rome in April. There is supposed to be a ceiling of 40 E to taxi from FCO to Rome, but the drivers wanted more.:rolleyes: There is a limo service called Rome Cabs, which charges 55 E, and the drivers speak English and point out sites on the way. You could email him and get estimates, and BTW I bet the drive will be smoother!

For the routes you mention, there is no need to prebook a taxi. There are taxi stands near both exits at Termini, and taxis are readily available at the Vatican. I do not know the fare from Termini to the Vatican, but IIRC going from the Vatican to the Colosseum was in the vicinity of 6 to 8 euros. Someone else may be able to give you more exact rates.

Within the historic district, I found taxis to be a reasonable expense, and particularly useful if you have limited time.

Taxis in Rome are very reasonable compared to other big cities. I would be very surprised if you pay more than 10-12 euros for the longest trip. The distance from the colosseum to the vatican is about the same as from Termini, so the above quote is a good rule of thumb.

Caution: There are "gypsy cabs" which operate illegally. They will quote you a set amount and it will be exhorbitant. ALWAYS take a cab licensed by the city of Rome. All licensed cabs will be metered and on the outside door it will have a logo which identifies it as a licensed taxi. All licensed taxis are named. This name is composed of a name of a city + a number. For example, your cab may be "Roma 10" or "Napoli 3". When you exit Termini go through the MAIN DOORS, not the doors on the side. The licensed taxi rank is in front of the main doors. The gypsy cabs congregate near the side doors.

You don't hail a cab off the street like in NY or London. Either go to a marked taxi stand (they are all over the city) or, if you're stuck and/or your feet ache and you can't go one more step, have a drink at an outdoor cafe and ask them to call a taxi for you. Every cafe and restaurant is able to call a taxi automatically. It's a bit more expensive since you pay from the place where the taxi is when called, but if your feet hurt and it's 90 degrees out, it's worth a couple of euros extra.

When you exit St. Peter's, the cab stand is at the front of the piazza. You'll see the cabs there.

You will love Rome. Have a great time.

We were in Rome in April. There is supposed to be a ceiling of 40 E to taxi from FCO to Rome, but the drivers wanted more.:rolleyes: There is a limo service called Rome Cabs, which charges 55 E, and the drivers speak English and point out sites on the way. You could email him and get estimates, and BTW I bet the drive will be smoother!

RomeCabs is charging us $65 from our hotel to FCO. There are 6 of us.

Can anyone give me an estimate how much a taxi rate from Termini station to Vatican or Vatican to coliseum ? Is taxi stand available outside Rome Termini station? Thanks!

Do not know how much the taxi costs but all three sites are connected via the underground.

Thanks for all the helpful info. From Termini station to Vatican around $6 to $8 is very reasonable for big city like Rome.

I already booked Rome Cabs for airport pickup for $45 (2 adults and 1 baby) and Hotel to Civitavecchia port the next day for $155 (6 adults and 1 baby).

When return from Civitavecchia port to Rome. I plan to take train to Termini station then taxi back to my hotel. I know I can use subway to transfer, but with two big luggages and a baby stroller, I think taking taxi to my hotel is a good idea.

Thanks for all the helpful info. From Termini station to Vatican around $6 to $8 is very reasonable for big city like Rome.

I already booked Rome Cabs for airport pickup for $45 (2 adults and 1 baby) and Hotel to Civitavecchia port the next day for $155 (6 adults and 1 baby).

When return from Civitavecchia port to Rome. I plan to take train to Termini station then taxi back to my hotel. I know I can use subway to transfer, but with two big luggages and a baby stroller, I think taking taxi to my hotel is a good idea.

In that case you are perfectly right .. a tax is the best option. Enjoy your stay in rome! :D

Taxi rates on our trip last year:

Train Termini to Colosseum: 5 euros (be sure to use the main taxi line -- someone tried to charge us 25 euros outside the line)

Trajan's Market to Trevi Fountain: 5 euros

Trevi Fountain to Piazza Navonna: 5 euros

Piazza navonna to Vatican Museums: 8 euros

Vatican Museums to San Pietro train station: 5 euros

As far as I'm concerned, using the taxi is the easiest way to get around Rome. It save a lot of walking and frustration, especially when it's hot. Plus, you're not standing on a corner waiting for a bus and having to check your Bus #'s, etc.

Archived