Any Info On Lisbon

This will be the first time we will stop in Lisbon. Does anyone have any information on what to do and how far the port is from the town?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

I don't have the answers to that. Just curious when you are going to be there. We will be on the Rotterdam in September and I am corresponding by email with a small tour company that we will probably use. I can post the information when they get back to me with the price. Sounds like a nice tour and not too pricey.

The port is quite close to the town.

When we there in 2007, we walked from the ship to the main road, about 300 metres and then caught a tram to town, which was very cheap. It's then possible to buy a ticket for metro, buses, etc and do as you please.

I have not cruised into Lisbon, but just recently spent a week there. From what I understand, the port is very close to Belem, which is slightly outside of the central area of Lisbon but still not that far.

Belem has lots of interesting things to see, including the "Monument to the Discoveries" (commemorating all the Lisbon luminaries who played a role in discovering both the New World and a route to India), the Monastery of San Jeronimo (where Vasco de Gama is buried), the Belem Tower, and a museum of coaches that is housed in the former royal stables and has a great collection of extravagant royal coaches from the 1600s to 1900s.

The central part of old Lisbon is built on several hills. One neighborhood, Alfama, is particularly picturesque with interesting vistas and antique shops as you wind your way up the hill to the castle at the top. The castle grounds are like a park where you can get fabulous views to the coast and overlooking the city itself.

Shopping areas include the Baixa (central downtown) area, where there is a nice pedestrian street complete with street artists selling watercolors and oil paintings of Lisbon. The shopping is so-so although there are a few good quality shops selling the Portuguese faience (pottery) and tiles.

There are several trams that do a circuit around these neighborhoods. Some are historic and it's an experience in itself to ride one (particularly up the steep Alfama hill). I would highly recommend it!

Taxis are relatively cheap and can take you wherever you want to go in the city. There are excursions outside Lisbon that are also worth doing (such as Sintra) but if you only have a day, I recommend you stay in the city and get a taste of it.

Thank you very much. These are wonderful ideas. Would you suggest the tram, if so do you know the number. Or is there a HOHO bus in Lisbon.

Thank you very much. These are wonderful ideas. Would you suggest the tram, if so do you know the number. Or is there a HOHO bus in Lisbon.

There is a HOHO bus, but I would recommend the tram for a more local experience.

The tram (or more properly trolley) numbers that you may be interested in include:

#28: Includes Chiada, Baixa (both trendy shopping areas), and Alfama (including the Cathedral and also the Alfama vantage point I mentioned before), as well as a couple of additional areas. These tend to be the "vintage" trolleys and are a lot of fun to ride.

#12: Does a loop around the Alfama district and the Baixa area.

The No 28 Tram is great fun, you can catch it on the road behind Black Horse square. As an alternative take a taxi to St George's Castle and walk downhill through the Alfalma district. There are lovely shops in Lisbon one tiny shop in the street behind the Sant Justa lift sells only lovely leather gloves there are loads of jewellers & leather goods shops in that area.

What ever you do I am sure you will enjoy Lisbon

Coolgran

The only comment I have for Lisbon is watch out for pick pockets.... especially on trams and streetcars.

They do the bump and run very quickly. If they are encouraging you to cram into a full car avoid that car totally.

Keep you money and valuables in your hands in your pockets so you know whose are in there.

The only comment I have for Lisbon is watch out for pick pockets.... especially on trams and streetcars.

They do the bump and run very quickly. If they are encouraging you to cram into a full car avoid that car totally.

Keep you money and valuables in your hands in your pockets so you know whose are in there.

I don't think Lisbon is on it's own re.pickpockets. You should always take precautions in any place that you visit. Lisbon is safer than most in my experience. I have spent holidays there and visited it on several cruises.

In general the people are most helpful. As I say just be careful as you would anywhere else.

Coolgran

Archived