Scotland, Ireland, and Wales

Fred Olse, Azamara, Slversea, Saga, Voyages of Discovery. Some of the cruises are norway and Shetland Islands, although the Balck Prince and Azamara have loads of stops around the UK including the Channel or Siciliy Isles. If ypu go to Porttime.com and select various UK ports it shows which ships are calling each month. If you then click on the ship's name, you can see what the itinerary is.

Thanks, Amomondo,

I did go to Porttime.com and navigated around it a bit. I like it too as it shows how many ships are in port at the same time.

One question: I noticed that a couple of the British Isle cruises stop in Le Havre. Is that the port for Paris? How far is it from the port, how do you get there, and how long does it take?

One question: I noticed that a couple of the British Isle cruises stop in Le Havre. Is that the port for Paris? How far is it from the port, how do you get there, and how long does it take?

Yes, Le Havre is the closest port to Paris. The ship will offer excursions there (several hours away), as well as to the D-Day beaches on Normandy, and probably one to Mont St. Michel. You can also take the train on your own. I wouldn't recommend trying to drive in Paris...what a nightmare!

As others have said it's a long way to Paris from Le Havre - some hours, each way, by coach or train.

I'll second the suggestion of doing an excursion within Normandy. You may find that the cruise line offers trips to Rouen or Caen, the two major historic towns of Normandy. Or there's also Bayeux (also very good for history), and of course Honfleur (not very far from Le Havre) which on a good day is a delightful spot.

Minke, will you send a report on your cruise? The Prisendam cruise looks great. Five* dining will be very nice. You're right: I would like to spend more time than the Fred Olsen cruise allows. What about the Princess cruise? It looks interesting too.

When I mentioned the idea to my husband yesterday, he asked me if it goes to Wales, so I am not the only one interested in going there, Welshlassie!

We did take the all day cruise to Wales and Chester and it was a great day. It was the northern part of Wales and people are so friendly there. As for Chester, it was lovely. Very historic but modern as well.

As you may have heard, we missed Le Havre due to the strikes in France but instead we had Dover and we had a wonderful day there. We spent about an hour or so in the town and then took the shuttle to the Castle where we had a very interesting rest of the day and saw so much. I was really pleased that we missed Le Havre as when we left the ship, we did NOT have to go through customs which was great. Saved a lot of time and line-ups.

As you know, we were on the Princess Grand. We really loved this concentrated British Isle Cruise. It was better than we expected.

It is so sad to see that most cruise lines have stopped calling into Holyhead. I live just across from the port and it is lovely to see the ships moored outside the port. In previous years we have had Princess, Celebrity, Fred Olsen, Saga. This year we only have 3 ships calling,Jewel Of The Seas being one, the main reason they have stopped calling is the fact that you have to be tendered, and the weather in the Irish Sea can be very unpredictable. Hopefully we will have a terminal and berth alongside by 2010, but by then ship swill be used to calling into Liverpool. There is so much to see here in North Wales, Snowdonia national Park, the castles in Caernarvon, Conway,Beaumaris, or just to take in the Welsh culture and hospitality. Come on cruise lines give us onother chance.

Hello Welshlass,

I will be on Jewel of the Seas this September and since we will only be there one very short day, can you tell me the one thing I should not miss seeing in and around Holyhead?

Thanks a bunch!

deb

Johanna,

You're back! I'm so glad the cruise was even better than your expectations. It's too bad you missed Le Havre...(but it's good that they substituted Dover.) How did you like the Grand Princess? Did you share trips with others on board or take shore excursions mostly? What was the highlight of the trip?

Thank you to everyone for the information about getting to Paris. I had wondered about disembarking a day early to have 2 days there, but it would have been a problem to have planned that and then have a change of port. What would be the best way to work Paris in if you think it would take 2 days to see the main sights?

• 1 month later...
There is so much to see here in North Wales, Snowdonia national Park, the castles in Caernarvon, Conway,Beaumaris, or just to take in the Welsh culture and hospitality. Come on cruise lines give us onother chance.

As an Englishman, I second that. Beautiful place, nice people. Well worth a visit.:)

Hello Welshlass,

I will be on Jewel of the Seas this September and since we will only be there one very short day, can you tell me the one thing I should not miss seeing in and around Holyhead?

Thanks a bunch!

deb

Hi sorry i have not replied before today have not been on site for ages, the best tour off the ship is the caernarvon castle and snowdonia if you want to see a little bit of north wales, you can just walk around holyhead, not an awful lot there an historic church a smallmaritime museum and usually welsh choir and of course us the locals who welcome all criuse ship visitors. if you decide just to stay in holyhead let me know and i will try to meet up with you i fancied this cruise myself, so you never know i might be on with you

Hi sorry i have not replied before today have not been on site for ages, the best tour off the ship is the caernarvon castle and snowdonia if you want to see a little bit of north wales, you can just walk around holyhead, not an awful lot there an historic church a smallmaritime museum and usually welsh choir and of course us the locals who welcome all criuse ship visitors. if you decide just to stay in holyhead let me know and i will try to meet up with you i fancied this cruise myself, so you never know i might be on with you

Hi, I am also on the Jewel Cruise next month and wonder if you know of any private tour company we could use. The ship does offer several tours but I dislike being herded around and often want to linger instead of having to move on.

If you know of any tour or taxi companies that could suggest a tour I would be very grateful as I understand getting to Caernarvon by public transport would be quite time consuming. Ideally I would like to go to Caernarvon and then the railway trip - do you think that would be doable on our own?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.:)

Faye

Welshlass,

It looks like there are others who would love to visit Wales. That would be great to see you whether on a cruise or there. If/when we come I will send you my email address.

Texascruiser, thanks for the tips. What is it about the castle and Snowdonia you liked?

Archived