Private Cabana

Acrusa

Stanandjim,

Wow, we are both up late! Thank you so much for the info. I'm not 100% sure that I fully understand the concept. Can you dine up there? The cabana boys bring drinks, right? and fruit kebobs? Can they bring a sandwich or something too?

I called about getting one for a day and they are still available. I have to choose now between the "shore day" or the $100 sea day. It was recommended that I choose the transit through the Kiel Canal. I was just on the verge of making that selection when I saw your post and decided to ask the questions.

But... I have to say that I am disappointed. I am traveling solo. So you are saying that should I meet a lovely couple with whom I'd like to visit, both of them cannot join me at the same time? Bummer!!!

Thanks again, and if you can think of anything else, I'd love to hear it.

By the way, did you by any chance take advantage of the whole-cruise Thelassotherapy pool offer?

Jana

Thats right I had forgotten about the misting sprays--

Another thing that was good for me was that my husband had to tend to business on the cruise while he would be in the computer room I would be up in the cabana --- felt like I had the ship to myself.

On our cruise we went through the Dardenelles(sp) all of the cabanas had the curtains tied back so that all could see the view from where ever they liked.

No body complained or whined about prime viewing deck space.

Some of the cabannas occupants had "visitors".

Do any other cruise lines have cabanas??

Can the cabanas be reserved for a day prior to going on board? Thought I read somewhere that prior to the cruise you could only reserve on for the full time.

Oh! I don't know! Since I didn't say "OK, put me down for xxx day," we never got that far. I guess that they aren't all taken for the entire cruise but I don't know if I can just ask for one day pre-cruise.

I'll let you know!

Jana

Its worth booking for the entire trip --it seemed to make sense to do that. I think it works out to be costlier on the daily plan.

If you pay ahead on your arrival in your cabin they will have a package with the name of your cabana and we got a bag a sub visor and a towel.

:)

Oh! I don't know! Since I didn't say "OK, put me down for xxx day," we never got that far. I guess that they aren't all taken for the entire cruise but I don't know if I can just ask for one day pre-cruise.

I'll let you know!

Jana-

The Cabanas are only available "by the day" once you are aboard the ship. This is another reason why it's hard to "count" on securing a day rental.

**Note** There is a printed "Cabana Menu", however, the Cabana boys will work with you if you want something from the buffet (or, even room service). A California couple, in a cabana next to ours, had a delectable looking cheese plate every afternoon.

We ate lunch up there almost every day, but then, we're addicted to Waves (best burgers at Sea.....and the fries....OMG, the fries!!!).

BTW, iced cream in your cabana is one of lifes simple pleasures! There is something decadent about not fetching it yourself!

OceaniaCruisesCabanas01.jpgIncidentally, Holland America is announcing the innovations on their new Eurodam today. One of them is.....you guessed it......Private Cabanas! We're Innovators!!!

On our cruise we went through the Dardenelles(sp) all of the cabanas had the curtains tied back so that all could see the view from where ever they liked.

Was that an Oceania policy, or were the cabana renters simply being considerate?

I actaully booked an Azamara Panama Canal cruise over Oceania simply because I didn't want a blocked view.

OK boys, you have me sold sold sold.

Pray that there will be one left for me at some point (I'm not going to do the whole two weeks) but I can see why they make you wait, they want to sell the whole cruise.

So I get onboard and run to the Concierge first thing to reserve? Is that how it works?

Now that I've decided I have 30 days to sweat out the wait! Eeek!

Jana

Was that an Oceania policy, or were the cabana renters simply being considerate?

I will jump in, I have not posted here in a long time. We booked a Cabana during our 10 day Regatta cruise and we never closed the curtain. I do not remember anybody closing their curtain. It really helps to have the curtain open to improve the airflow.

We loved having a Cabana and used it every day weather permitting (we had a couple bad days).

Jana-

1. What exactly do the "cabana boys" do?

Everything! Think of them as "outdoor" room stewards. They certainly cannot seem to do enough for you.

2. Is it worth it if it isn't really hot out? (Love those misters!)

It all depends on you. Some people rent the cabana simply to have a sheltered private spot with a fabulous view.

If it is very hot and you're a pool person, you may find it a drag that the Cabanas are two decks above the (deck 9) Pool (with elevator service only up to deck 10).

3. How long is the "rental period?"

They rent the Cabanas either for the full cruise, or by the day. Figure the "Day" to run from after breakfast until Dark. If you get to the Cabana any earlier, the mattress won't be on the Day Bed yet (they take them in at night), and Deck 11 basically closes at Dusk (they won't put you out, but the Cabana boys go off duty then)

4. What else can you tell me???

First things first, If you're sailing to a "cabana weather" area of the world, don't count on securing a day rental. There are only 8 Cabanas and they sell out very quickly.

The cabanas are named (Portofino, Phuket etc.) rather than numbered, and they are assigned to clients by the purser. What we are saying here is that Oceania chooses the cabana that you get, they are not first come, first served.

Full Cruise Cabana renters receive 25% off Spa treatments on Port Days.

Some Cabana Hints:

• The fruit skewers (which, at first, did not appeal to us) were FANTASTIC.....they have this seedless rasberry dipping sauce that is to die for.
  • If you feel overheated, feel free to ask for the iced towels at any time. They are SO refreshing! (and many people NEVER seemed to want them).
  • If you're a person who likes ice-cold beverages, ask that an Ice bucket be placed in your Cabana (they use the chrome ones on a pedastal, like in the dining room.)
  • There is a telephone in each Cabana (so that you can call a cabana boy, if you ever cannot find one). You can also call your room, or around the ship with this phone.
  • Although it is not mentioned in the literature, there is a strict rule that only two persons at a time may utilize the cabana.

Hope this helped-

Hi SPTROUT,

We booked the cabana for the full cruise on Insignia for 9/1/2008. On Oceania WEB sight they say that full time cabana rentals receive 25% from SELECTED SPA TREATMENT on port days. Do you happened to know what are they? Did you take any?

Thanks Alla and Frank

We are going to be on the Nautica in August and have only one day at sea. I would like to prebook a cabana for that day but see nothing on the Oceania website that mentions it. Help?

Thanks,

Carolyn

It was passengers being considerate.

I think in that part of the world it was a matter of respect as well.(War Memorials)

Why not?Who wouldn't?

I would say its obvious to most that when there are more passengers than usual on that deck that it is more socially acceptable to let all see the view.

Hi SPTROUT,

We booked the cabana for the full cruise on Insignia for 9/1/2008. On Oceania WEB sight they say that full time cabana rentals receive 25% from SELECTED SPA TREATMENT on port days. Do you happened to know what are they? Did you take any?

Thanks Alla and Frank

Hello Alla & Frank,

Sorry, but I do not remember us using the spa during our trip. I am not a spa person.

EDIT: One thing maybe: There is a private hottub in front of the spa area that is available for a fee either for a day or the entire cruise. (It is nearly invisible from any other place on the ship.) I do not remember if we got a discount or not, but it was a great place to get away from the crowds (what little crowds there are on a Oceanic Ship). We almost always had this hottub to ourselves each time we visited it; almost every day. Highly recommended!

We are going to be on the Nautica in August and have only one day at sea. I would like to prebook a cabana for that day but see nothing on the Oceania website that mentions it. Help?

Thanks,

Carolyn

You can only prebook Cabanas for the entire cruise on the web. Once onboard you can try to rent a Cabana for a day, but it may be difficult to grab one for a sea day. BTW - - We spent as much time in our Cabana during port days as sea days. We would visit the port stop in the morning and then spend the remaining part of the day in the Cabana.

As one would expect, it is very windy on the top deck-forward when at sea so the weather had to be warm and sunny to make-up for the wind. Sometimes it was a chore just to get to/from the Cabana to a lower deck. For this same reason most of the time the top deck had very little non-Cabana traffic.

I would not cruise without having a balcony cabin. So I can't see why I would ever use a cabana. If you have a butler or even room service you can get food or drinks on your own balcony. My first "O" cruise was a 17 Day Antarctica/SA cruise. There were no private cabanas then, and the space was full every day with people enjoying the scenery and taking pictures.

I can't see why I would ever use a cabana

Digby-

Not that we're trying to talk you into taking a cabana (after all, there are only 8 of them to go around!), however:

• None of the Cabin Verandahs are as condusive to sun bathing as are the Cabanas.
  • The retractable roof, in conjunction with the fan (with the misters) allow you to control your environment to a much greater extent than the verandahs.
  • The Cabanas can be as social (the walls retract, too), or as private as you and your "Cabaneighbors" agree to be. On our last cruise, we all started out private, but by week 2 we were contemplating a "Cabana Block Party". The Cabin verandahs are universally private.
  • In your cabin, after the room service waiters serve you, they return to their pantries. On deck 11, after they serve you, they remain around, so the service is amazing. As good as Queens Grille on Cunard, and that is saying something!

Of course, some people prefer a solitary ambience, others hate sunbathing, or are prohibitted for health reasons. If you don't think you'd like it, don't take one. We just happen to find it our cup of tea!.........

Coffee anyone?

Digby-

Not that we're trying to talk you into taking a cabana (after all, there are only 8 of them to go around!), however:

• None of the Cabin Verandahs are as condusive to sun bathing as are the Cabanas.
  • The retractable roof, in conjunction with the fan (with the misters) allow you to control your environment to a much greater extent than the verandahs.
  • The Cabanas can be as social (the walls retract, too), or as private as you and your "Cabaneighbors" agree to be. On our last cruise, we all started out private, but by week 2 we were contemplating a "Cabana Block Party". The Cabin verandahs are universally private.
  • In your cabin, after the room service waiters serve you, they return to their pantries. On deck 11, after they serve you, they remain around, so the service is amazing. As good as Queens Grille on Cunard, and that is saying something!

Of course, some people prefer a solitary ambience, others hate sunbathing, or are prohibitted for health reasons. If you don't think you'd like it, don't take one. We just happen to find it our cup of tea!.........

Coffee anyone?

Hi Stanand Jim,

Is there anyway to get the shade in the cabana and not be under the sun all the time.

Thanks Alla and Frank

Is there anyway to get the shade in the cabana and not be under the sun all the time.

Hi Alla and Frank-

Yes, the Cabana's have fabric (a thick white nylon) "roofs" which those lovely Cabana boys will open and close for you (there is a crank mechanism to do this). There are also curtains on three sides of the cabana which you can open and close as you like to block the sun or the wind, or to let them in.

2672466330048908256LEutgp_th.jpg2427602700048908256emyEXP_th.jpg The fourth side is the wind screen at the front of the ship, which is tinted glass.

Regatta_Stockholm.jpg

You can actually see the Cabanas behind the windscreen of deck 11 ( at the very top of the ship, just in front of the mast)

Hope this helped-

Two of our three "O" cruises have been OS cabins, and there was plenty of sun and shade on the balconies. (We now avoid sun bathing after bouts of Melanoma and squamous cell cancers which were both the direct result of many hours of sun bathing. Of course, we always knew the danger, but what young person listens to their elders?) I still think I would rather pay the money to upgrade my cabin than for a cabana, but to each his own!

Hi Alla and Frank-

Yes, the Cabana's have fabric (a thick white nylon) "roofs" which those lovely Cabana boys will open and close for you (there is a crank mechanism to do this). There are also curtains on three sides of the cabana which you can open and close as you like to block the sun or the wind, or to let them in.

2672466330048908256LEutgp_th.jpg2427602700048908256emyEXP_th.jpg The fourth side is the wind screen at the front of the ship, which is tinted glass.

Regatta_Stockholm.jpg

You can actually see the Cabanas behind the windscreen of deck 11 ( at the very top of the ship, just in front of the mast)

Hope this helped-

Thanks,

Great picture of the ship.

Alla and Frank

Digby, could you direct me to a site where I have find actual photos of the OS cabins. All I seem to get are video tours or floorplans. Any opinions on those cabins would really be helpful too.

Thanks

Gail

I am very impressed with the overall Oceania experience, with the notable exception of these stupid cabanas! For the sake of a few dollars of revenue Oceania has created a virtual two-class system, depriving over 98% of their paying passengers of very limited forward facing open deck space. I hate feeling like an illegal intruder every time I try to take a peak forward! Will one of the cabana butlers lead me away in cuffs??

This is nickel and diming on steroids, and totally out of place on a deluxe line like Oceania. Its time they were thrown overboard.

Digby, could you direct me to a site where I have find actual photos of the OS cabins. All I seem to get are video tours or floorplans. Any opinions on those cabins would really be helpful too.

Thanks

Gail

Hi Gail,

These are post-refurb photos of the Owner's Suite (I have some pre-refurb photos too if you'd like to see them).

owners suite living room.jpg

owners suite bedroom.jpg

oh, yum!!!

Jana

Archived