Can't believe we always missed this....

Several years ago on a Carnival cruise, we had met two Italian couples on their honeymoon. They spoke little to no English and my husband, being born in Sicily, is quite fluent, so of course they had much to talk about. I don't remember the port, but the honeymooners were running for the ship just as we pulled away and we actually went back for them. Guess they felt sorry for them. Marcia

we almost missed the ship in Pto. Vallarta once, but we learned the place we ate dinner took visa, so we spent all of our cash, then when it came time to pay, the power went out and we couldn't! We did make it back, but barely! Can't wait to watch for this next trip!

I don't get any joy out of seeing someone being left behind, but it is as many have said a sport to watch those who are late to the ship.

I was in the caribbean and watched a Disney ship pull away. It was about 100 feet from the peir when this young family cam running to the dock. People from our ship and the Disney boat were all focused on the couple and their 3 young kids.

The captain on the Disney ship must have had a tug at the heart because he pulled back to the dock and picked the family up.

People on both ships went wild! Lot's and lots of cheering...

It was a good moment (and they were very lucky)

I can see the amusement about the drunks but some of these other people you never know what might of happen to make them late...I think if I start making fun of these runners karma is going to kick me in the butt and I will be one of those runners one day! :eek:

I'm sorry, but if you miss your ship, unless it is the fault of a ship-run excursion being late (or some terrible unforseen accident), then you only have yourself to blame. My 12 year old could get back to the ship on time if he had to, why can't an adult do the same?? It's called a watch, they sell them in every port.;)

I myself hate it when the ship is held in port waiting for potential latecomers. I made it back on time, as did 99% of the passengers, why should one person being irresponsible impact 3,000 other people?

But then again, lateness is my pet peeve, I'm always early, so I just don't get it. For me, if the last time to be back on ship is 5:00pm, I'll be back at 3:45, at the latest. Who wants to deal with all the last minute rush and drama.

Wow... I am glad I have my philosophy when cruising of "I don't have any special place to be and no special time to get there" but I have never missed getting back on the ship because "It's 5 oclock somewhere onboard, just point me to the bar and the caribbean breeze" ! :D

Years ago we were sailing out of a carribean port. The shipped left as planned and about 1/2 hr later the captian came over the loud speaker to say we were turning around because we left someone behind. He stopped the ship, turned it around and sailed about 1/2 way back to the port. All the passagengers were hanging over the railings waiting to see what was going to happen. The shipped stopped to meet up with a small boat that had come from the port we were just at, and the late passgenger was in that boat! The crew opened a side door and dropped out a rope mesh that the passenger had to climb up to get back onto the ship. Everyone on deck was yelling and screaming at the passenger and laughing! It really was exciting and fun to be rooting for the passenger. Never found out who he was, but I am sure he must of felt pretty bad ( or very lucky that the ship came back for him ) after that episode.

~Sue~

Archived