Alaska Railroad

Nancynurse

We made our reservations for the Alaska Railroad last year for our upcoming cruise leaving from Seward. When we made this reservation, they said that they would transfer the luggage to the ship. I had heard rumors that they might not be doing this? Have any of the early cruisers cruising from Seward found out if they are still doing this? We are on the early train from Anchorage to Seward.

Thanks,

Nancy

I know Princess picks up luggage for the train passengers. Not sure of HAL or RCT still do it. I don't know why they would not pick up the luggage.

I would call the local Alaska office of your cruise company and find out.

Well Princess has not sailed out of Seward for years. I have not seen cruiselines pick up luggage from the Seward depot on the regular run of the Alaska RR, Which is a different spur than the cruise contracted train which goes right to the ship. I assume you booked independent???

I suggest you just call the Seward depot yourself and get the current information. You likely are going to be responsible for your own luggage transfer.

Celebrity has transfered our luggage, from the train to the ship.

We independently booked the train ride from Anchorage to Seward.

We were not on a land tour with Celebrity.

This was the early morning train route.

I recently read a Celebrity review from the 07 Alaska season, and indeed Celebrity was still doing this.

I am remembering,

because I had read prior reviews about this occurring,

I was anticipating the transfer.

When I was at the Train Depot in Anchorage, I inquired about it...

and the Depot folks had no idea what I was talking about.

But, the transfer (as mentioned above) did occur.

At the Anchorage Depot, there's a big tent for luggage. When you get there, just ask the guys if the cruise company picks up the bags for transport to the ship.

I know Princess picks up bags for Whittier.

I'm sure the other companies would still be offering this service, the Railroad would be swamped with bags in the Baggage Car, if they didn't.

I just verified that Celebrity and Royal Caribbean offer this service for folks cruising out of Seward. Just make sure to put your cruise tags on the bags when you get to the train station in Anchorage, then your bags will be delivered directly to the ship. What a nice service!

Archived