Live music on Princess and other lines

mauiedin87

This will likely be my "parting shot" on the cruise boards for this year, but I wanted to share our experience with the live bands on the Island Princess. There had been an earlier thread on this subject, bemoaning the fact that more and more ships were doing away with live music. We found out why on our recent 19-day cruise!! The ship was fully booked. There were 3 live bands which VERY often played to tables and chairs, I'd say most of the time. Among 2000 passengers there VERY few dancers, those of us who actually danced had very little that we could dance to. The bands knew only the very very basic Waltzes, Foxtrots and Swings even though this was a Panama Canal, Mexico and Centrasl America cruise and we'd hoped for some Latin tunes. One of the three bands couldn't keep a rhythm if their life depended on it! The one really good one started playing more for the drinkers and sitters at the end.

We like to dance when we cruise, but it looks like that may become a thing of the past... We're sad about that!:(

We are recently back from a Med. cruise on RCCL. They had several bands a live entertainment for dancing in several venues although this was a smaller ship (Splendour of the Seas). We really enjoy the live music.

This will likely be my "parting shot" on the cruise boards for this year, but I wanted to share our experience with the live bands on the Island Princess. There had been an earlier thread on this subject, bemoaning the fact that more and more ships were doing away with live music. We found out why on our recent 19-day cruise!! The ship was fully booked. There were 3 live bands which VERY often played to tables and chairs, I'd say most of the time. Among 2000 passengers there VERY few dancers, those of us who actually danced had very little that we could dance to. The bands knew only the very very basic Waltzes, Foxtrots and Swings even though this was a Panama Canal, Mexico and Centrasl America cruise and we'd hoped for some Latin tunes. One of the three bands couldn't keep a rhythm if their life depended on it! The one really good one started playing more for the drinkers and sitters at the end.

We like to dance when we cruise, but it looks like that may become a thing of the past... We're sad about that!:(

Mauieden,

Do you remember the names of the bands and where they played?

Sorry that the bands weren't to your liking On our Caribbean cruise in September Phoenix Rising always had dancers on the floor and plenty of listeners. Maybe as you said the group of people on your cruise just weren't dancers.....

We are recently back from a Med. cruise on RCCL. They had several bands a live entertainment for dancing in several venues although this was a smaller ship (Splendour of the Seas). We really enjoy the live music.

Linda - how did you like that ship? Not reading so good things about it.

Archived