PASSPORT? (not if or not to get) but NAMES!

bwjm

Im gonna throw this in, just in case it may help.

When DD went for her drivers license, we discovered that she had a birth cert. APPLICATION....looks like a bc but didnt have raised....Aparently, during the years of '72 &'76, some states were tying this.........and you had to pay $2.00 to get the real one. Uh Huh!!!....leave it up to our government!!

Kathie

Whatever is shown on his birth certificate when you get it back is his LEGAL name. It doesn't matter what's on his DL or other I.D. His passport will be issued with the name exactly as it is on his passport.
I think you are wrong about this.

The birth certificate name was the legal name at the time of birth, but not necessarily now. The BC is used to prove citizenship, and the DL is needed to prove identity and legal name. There is another thread where the woman used the BC name (spelled Debra) and the passport acceptance officer required the name be changed to match the DL, which was Debbie. Passport came back as Debbie (and which appears to be how Morriscats' Jess also obtained a passport).

Do note that the passport application lists a place for other names one has used, which is the correct place to list maiden names, prior marriages or other spellings including those on the BC, but the current legal name on the passport application has to match the current legal ID/DL.

I don't know any women who do this anymore.

Are you kidding me? You must be from Kalifornia ;) . The majority of women still take the man's surname - here a paste from an article (April, 2007):

"NEW YORK (Reuters Life!) - The tradition of the bride taking the groom's

name still prevails in the United States, with a survey released on Monday

finding eight of 10 brides-to-be planned to take their husband's name.

The survey conducted by online wedding planning directory, WedAlert.com, found that 79 percent of respondents planned to switch to their husband'sname after walking down the aisle while only 21 percent planned to keep their maiden name."

Anyway, don't worry about the name difference. The passport will come with the BC's name and you rarely have to show both passport and DL at the same time as the passport is typically viewed as the "universal" ID as it has pic and everything on it.

Archived