PASSPORT? (not if or not to get) but NAMES!

bwjm

My question, are going to get passports, too many stories of the 'what ifs', so we're in process of doing so. Problem is DH.....(not legal on paper, but 10+ years, close enough);) ...

He is 50, and he's NEVER noticed this till today (MEN!). When I was filling out request for birth certificate (all he has is record, and it doesn't have the 'bumps' so they won't accept it). His name is Jeff. On his birth certificate and checking account it is jeffREY. HOWEVER, on his drivers license (yes, I don't see how he missed it here, either) AND his social security card it is ERY.

I'm dumfounded this has NEVER been caught before today! I went ahead and mailed in the request for BC, hoping it wouldn't get caught there, either, and hope he will be issued one. BUT, when we go for the passports, and have to show ID, it will be different spelling. Have you ever heard of such a thing?

Can anybody help me get this fixed? Glad I found it now, while we still have time before leaving:eek: !

Hi BW,

His passport will be done in the same spelling as his BC. They didn't ask my DH and I for our SS card at the passport place so hopefully they won't ask or notice on yours. Have him go down to the dmv and get his DL changed to reflect his BC. (same with checking, but not nearly as much of a rush). If you have time or when you get back, there is a form you can fill out with SS to fix the name and have a card re-issued. Takes a while to get that card back. If they give you a hard time at the passport place, the form from SS reflecting that his name is being fixed with their stamp, might be enough. Another thought is that you might check your taxes to make sure they have only had it one way and haven't been filing them under the wrong name. Hopefully it can all be fixed quickly. Don't you just love paperwork?

Our state BC's don't have any "raised" areas anymore, yet they are still acceptable. As long as it is a government issued birth certificate, and not the one from the hospital, it'll be fine.

No one is going to notice the different spelling on his DL!!

My mother's name is Maryanne, but on her birth certificate it's Maryanna. The passport people would only accept the name on her birth certificate even though she's been known as Maryanne all her life. When my father applied for his passport at the age of 65, he got his birth certificate, and never realized that his last name was misspelled on the BC, but the passport office would only accept the spelling on the BC.

My question, are going to get passports, too many stories of the 'what ifs', so we're in process of doing so. Problem is DH.....(not legal on paper, but 10+ years, close enough);) ...

He is 50, and he's NEVER noticed this till today (MEN!). When I was filling out request for birth certificate (all he has is record, and it doesn't have the 'bumps' so they won't accept it). His name is Jeff. On his birth certificate and checking account it is jeffREY. HOWEVER, on his drivers license (yes, I don't see how he missed it here, either) AND his social security card it is ERY.

I'm dumfounded this has NEVER been caught before today! I went ahead and mailed in the request for BC, hoping it wouldn't get caught there, either, and hope he will be issued one. BUT, when we go for the passports, and have to show ID, it will be different spelling. Have you ever heard of such a thing?

Can anybody help me get this fixed? Glad I found it now, while we still have time before leaving:eek: !

Whatever is shown on his birth certificate when you get it back is his LEGAL name. It doesn't matter what's on his DL or other I.D. His passport will be issued with the name exactly as it is on his passport.

He should really have at least one government issued I.D. with his legal name on it. Discrepancies can lead to aggravation. For his driver's license, all you need to do is put in a request for a new license showing the corrected name. Might cost a few bucks.

my MIL got hers today and it has her real name that is on her BC she does not go by that, DL has the name she goes by and we filled out the passport forms with the name she goes by not her real name and they still used her real name. does not matter what is on anything but the BC.

We had the exact same problem the first time we cruised. My husband's name was misspelled. I thought it was a typo on his birth certificate. I was able to get in touch with someone from vital records and gave her the record number, etc and she confirmed that the spelling I had on the birth certificate was the spelling on record. We had to send a copy of his drivers license and something additional government issued (could not be ss card) that was at least 5 years old (could be school record or voters registration) indicating they way he has been spelling his name since birth or school. They did an amendment to the birth certificate and we were able to get a passport for the spelling he uses today.

I'm dumfounded this has NEVER been caught before today! Have you ever heard of such a thing?

YEP! Sure have, this happened to me also. I have gone through all my 46 years spelling my name Narrell (even my Mum & Dad spelt it this way), but when I applied for my passport, it wasn't accepted due to the spelling on my birth certificate being Narrelle (my dad, who filled in the registry forms had made a spelling error and never told my mum) . I couldn't believe it. And as I'd used my birth certificate to get married and also to get my Drivers Licence, I was unable to use these as proof of Identification either. The only way to rectify the whole sorry mess was to apply for a change of name certificate through our Dept. of Births,Deaths and Marriage. I applied to have my name spelt the way I had always spelt it and they issued me with a new Changed Name certificate to use in conjunction with my birth certificate to apply for my passport. This doesn't change your birth certificate, it's a separate paper thats just used if you have altered the spelling of your original name or if you decide to change your name.

As I'm in Australia, I'm not sure if you can do this were you are, but its worth a try!:)

Oh and on DHs Passport they left his middle name off because it was never included on his certificate of naturalisation when he was a child and that is what they used as proof of ID.:(

Hope all goes well for Jeffrey/Jeffery

As Narell pointed out there is a legal procedure for change of name. I've been through it twice in different jurisdictions in Australia, once to adopt a religious name when I joined a religious order, and to change back to my birth name when I left. In some jurisdictions (like Victoria and the Australian Capital Territory in Australia) it is relatively easy and cheap. In other jurisdictions it can be complicated and expensive.

Having said all of that, it is well worth going through the process to ensure that your legal name is the name that everyone knows you by. It saves having to remember your legal name, or explain why your legal name is different to your social name.

BC name is what he uses for himself, so that's good on the banking end of things for him.

Just wasn't sure b/c of the BC one name and SS other, would this be a problem, but hopefully it won't. We're in process of working to get his DL changed to proper name spelling.

Thanks for all the useful info and SOOO glad to know he isn't the only one who's had/having this problem!

Lucked out here, and way he spells it is what IS on his BC, so don't need name change there, just gotta get the DL and social security fixed. He's going to want to retire someday and he'll have this cruise to thank for it to get his social security benefits!

So now it's waiting on his new BC to come. Here in PA we do have the bumps, and that's where he was born, so it's what we need. Already took what he had in, and they wouldn't accept. It is just the hospital record.

This must mostly apply to just men, because my birth certificate & SS card have a different name because I'm married and I changed my middle and last name when I got married, my passport is in my current name not what is on my BC or SS card and I sent them with the application. They put the name that I put on the application, no questions asked.

I guess they are used to that because most women change their name when they marry.

Now the Tag office mispelled my last name on my car title and refused to change it saying I had to provide them proof of a name change and pay a fee. I told them I didn't have a name change, they misspelled it but they still refused. So we will see what happens if I ever sell or trade the vehicle.

Now the next step is to insure that the name on the passport is exactly the same as the name on the air res and cruise res. There can be multiple hassles if the names do not match. If you have a FF account be sure that that is the same also.

My husband's birth certificate has the formal version of his name. He has always used a nickname and that is what is on his drivers' license and all other legal docs.

I don't know how he managed it, but his passport was issued using the nickname. So it does NOT match what is on his BC.

My husband's birth certificate has the formal version of his name. He has always used a nickname and that is what is on his drivers' license and all other legal docs.

I don't know how he managed it, but his passport was issued using the nickname. So it does NOT match what is on his BC.

I also don't have my real name on my passport. I've never used it and when we applied I emailed the passport office and asked to use my nickname. They replied that it was okay. It's the same name I've used on my Social Security card, my DL, my tax returns, etc.

So, it can be done :) !

Yes, I'm hoping in this case it can be done, too! He NEVER travels, and neither do I, and this is the first time for both of us. He's only ever needed DL before yes, the one with the MISSPELLED NAME:rolleyes: , but we want passports because of all the 'what if's' in needing one to get home in case of emergency.

DMV will accept a name change, and I'm hoping for a smooth transaction there, especially with BC and PP (if we can get it in BC spelling) will make for a smooth transaction to get DL changed.

I still can't fathom, how, after 34 years of getting DL he has NEVER noticed his name spelled wrong?!?! Is it a man thing?;)

But yet when I'm filling out his forms, it took me 30 seconds?:o

First cruise and first crisis, so I guess it isn't too bad, right?

I know a lot of people where DL and passports do not match the BC.

I know of 2 ladies that had to get a change to there birth certificates.

When they got their BC, one in her 50's and the other in her 60's they learned that the first name on their birth certificate was not the name they had used all of their life. One's name was Carolyn and the BC was Caroline.

The other's BC read Jeananna with no Middle name and not Jean Anne.

Both ladies contacted BC issusing state and got form for an admement to BC to show the name they had used all of their lives. The did need to show DL, SS Card, Check and/or Tax return showing the name they had used. Both got a "corrected" BC and then got Passport..

Remember the go old days when you just filled out the school enrollment forms and got a driver's license without showing any BC.

Just be sure that all travel tickets show the name on your passport.

MSEm

I am serious.

Jade - are you in the US? I know in some countries, it is unheard of for the woman to change her name, but here in the states, I think you'll find it's about 50/50.

If most of the women you know got married late in life, or are big professionals with a lot of things attached to their maiden name, than they are less likely to change. However, many women who marry in their 20s and 30s do still change their name.

I did change my name, two close girlfriends did (or are going to), and my two sisters did not (one to keep our family name going - all girls - and the other because a) she married a Hungarian, who don't take names when married, and b) her husband's name is difficult to pronounce for many Americans, and c) the whole women's lib thing). So, that's 50/50. I think, of most women I know, especially ones that married in the last 10 years, 90+ percent have taken their husbands name.

Jade - are you in the US? I know in some countries, it is unheard of for the woman to change her name, but here in the states, I think you'll find it's about 50/50.

If most of the women you know got married late in life, or are big professionals with a lot of things attached to their maiden name, than they are less likely to change. However, many women who marry in their 20s and 30s do still change their name.

I did change my name, two close girlfriends did (or are going to), and my two sisters did not (one to keep our family name going - all girls - and the other because a) she married a Hungarian, who don't take names when married, and b) her husband's name is difficult to pronounce for many Americans, and c) the whole women's lib thing). So, that's 50/50. I think, of most women I know, especially ones that married in the last 10 years, 90+ percent have taken their husbands name.

All of the couples we know the woman has changed her last name to the husbands. And they range in age from 20's to 50's. My niece is 21 and just got engaged and she plans to change her last name to her husbands. My brother in law got married 3 years ago and his wife changed her last name and she is a professional in the medical field, I honestly thought she would keep hers but she didn't.

I guess it just depends on the person but there are still alot of woman who take their husbands name when married.

Archived