Sea Dream vs. Seabourn

seagirl51

First of all, both are great products, so you really can't go wrong. They both have wonderful service, very good/excellent food, a small/social atmosphere, etc.

Differences:

-Seabourn's ships can travel greater distances and carry more supplies so stopping in a port every day, or ports as close together as SeaDream, is not necessary.

-Seabourn visits many more ports and in many more areas of the world than SeaDream.

-Seabourn has fully furnished suites (most are 277 sq. ft.) with larger marble bathrooms with real bathtubs/showers, rather than cabins with small baths.

-Seabourn suites either have large picture windows or French (step-out) balconies, rather than small windows.

-Seabourn, even though trending to less formal is, regardless, more formal than SeaDream. It is not stuffy or formal, but simply more-so.

How is that for a start? Any specific questions?

seagirl,

As you probably know, Sea Dream Yachts were the Seabourn "Sea

Goddess's." The owners, Mr. Pimentel and Mr. Brynestad, owned Seabourn many years ago. As to service, food, wines, etc. Seabourn is 6*s ~~but alas, no "sleeping under the stars beds." Seabourn is more formal and has a dress code. Daytime very casual ~~evenings Guests do dress for Club cocktails and dinner in the Dining room. Casual dinners are enjoyed in the "Veranah 2" restaurant on In-suite dining~~served course by course. Quite elegant ~~but you can wear the white terry bathrobes and slippers!

Entertainment is excellent! A small combo playing before/after dinner in the Club. Also many fine lecturers aboard. Usually 2 Bridge instructers, as well. Cruise Directors and the Assn. CD's plan many fun events and are always available to assist Guests.

If you choose the Pride ship your Captain could be Capt. Erik Lund Anderssen, former Master of Sea Dream Yachts. (he came back to Seabourn about a 1 1/2 years ago. (He brought out the Pride for her Maiden voyage in the late 80's) M/V Legend Captains are Karlo Buer and Tom Thomassen. Master "Karlo" will be the Captain of our new Odyssey ship--June 24, 2009. (Handsome "Tom" will marry his sweetheart this Aug.)

Our Seabourn board is very helpful in answering any/all questions.

Please feel free to ask ~~~~

Happy Memorial Weekend to all!:p

Martita B.

We sailed Sea Goddess 14 times before we switched to Seabourn.(now 10 cruises) We loved Sea Goddess, and switched when Seabourn bought Sea Goddess and removed all dress requirements. People went crazy--showing up at Sea Goddess"s beautiful cocktail parties in flip flops, bathing suits and muscle shirts! We complained, and got a call from Warren Titus who was President of Seabourn--we talked for 40 minutes discussing how Seabourn ruined Sea Goddess--however Warren won--he convinced us we should try Seabourn--with a dress code--we boarded Seabourn Pride still a little upset--the Cruise Director Jan, said, " Give us one day!". She was right, after 24 hours we were sold. Seabourn is a great cruise line--I'm sure Sea Dream has settled down and continues to be a great cruise experience. I think one of the most important things about both ships is the people they attract--it's a class act--nice ships--great service--super passengers! Give it a try--you will love it! Don

Don,

One reason I've never considered booking a Sea Dream cruise is "I enjoy dressing up!" We found many Guests on the Legend Panama Canal voyage in Jan. agreed ~~~Seabourn is an elegant line and I will continue to sail on the Sister's as long as the dress code is upheld. It's nice to be informal/casual the 1st and last evening....fun

also, to dress for a "deck BBQ party" but many of us who sail regularly certainly will dress for dinner other evenings. It's not that difficult to pack for these nights. Those that do not want to dress have alternatives on Seabourn.

I'm sure the new Odyssey ship will also be an elegant/dress code ship.

Many cruise lines for many Sailor guests......last year I sailed with a group of West Texas friends on the Carnival Ecstasy ~~~we all dressed in the evenings. (by the way, I had a blast!)

Happy Memorial Weekend:p Stay cool!

MB

Thank you for your helpful information. I am happy to report to you that Sea Dream has, in fact, settled down. We have sailed twice with them (2003 & 2007). Both times they exceeded our expectations. While dining at night is not formal, they do require "casual elegance" and shorts/swimsuits are not allowed. Daytime, of course, is casual. I must say, that we never experienced anyone abusing the policy.

We love the intimacy of Sea Dream with just 110 passengers and we had heard that the caliber of people are very much the same on both Sea Dream and Seaourn. We are now looking to travel this November on the Seabourn Legend to Belize/Panaman/Costa Rica etc. While we are used to the small 110 passenger load, we are a bit concerned about doubling the number of passengers when travelling on Seabourn.... and we will miss the sun beds of Sea dream (they are fabulous!).

Sounds like we should find the same level of service on Seabourn that we found on Sea Dream and will look forward to experiencing Seabourn.

Thanks again for the feedback

Thanks Eric for your reply. Is the quality of service equal?

The service is very good on both. They are just a bit different.

SeaDream is more informal (not as informal as it was) and Seabourn is more polished.

SeaDream is, in a way, slightly more casual yacht and Seabourn is more superyacht.

Archived