Antartica on the Star

abbydancer2003

We're giving some very serious thought to doing the Antartic cruise on the Star Princess in 2010. I'd be interested in opinions on this from cruisers who did this cruise in 2008 (or the Golden in 2007 I think). Was it worth it? What was it like? January or February? etc, etc, etc.

We're, to our surprise (just yesterday we were in college!) middle-aged, and active. Our major hobby is ballroom dancing, and on our Alaska cruise last year we danced in the Wheelhouse every night. One of the appeals of this cruise is that it appears the Star has dance venues.

On our Alaska cruise we were in the topmost, forward-most cabin on the ship. The third night (RT from San Francisco) we hit a major storm - the captain had to turn off the sea condition indicator because apparently the waves were well over 25 feet. Other than being woken up every 10 minutes by the speed bumps and the noise when all the drawers opened up at 2 am, we thought it was great fun. So, I don't think potential weather is a problem.

That said, I'm not a bundle up and get on the Zodiac kind of girl, so a drive-by is fine this time.

Thanks for any thoughts, advice and opinions.

You can gets lots of info by going to the Ports of Call forum - there is one for South America and I think there is a separate one for Antartica.

Also - read some of the Star Princess reviews from the cruises that went to Antartica - lots of great info there also. From what I have read, most everybody just loves this cruise!!

Have Fun:)

Does the cruise just cruise Antarctica or are you able to get off the ship at all to check out the wild life for example? Anyone know?
You cruise Antarctica, not dock or tender to shore. There may be a shore excursion from Ushuaia that goes there but it's pretty darned expensive and once you've paid your money and if weather prevents you from going, you don't get your money back.

We considered the Star for Antarctica but having been on the Golden last year from Buenos Aires to Santiago, I felt that sized ship is way too big for several of the ports, overwhelming the local population and resources. Instead, we're booked on HAL's Amsterdam for Antarctica next January as it's a much smaller ship and we felt it was a better itinerary.

Archived