Exercise classes and gym on the Pearl?

Ratatouille

Can anyone tell me what they are like? I debated whether to post this message here or on the diet board. Hopefully on this board I will hear from people who have been on the Pearl. I am working at losing weight before our cruise and now am afraid I'll put it all back on during the cruise. Always found gyms a bit intimidating and feel a bit like I don't have the "right" clothes!

I haven't been on the Pearl but I can tell you what the Star was like. They had several Exercycles, Treadmills and Ellipticals arranged around the walls. In the center of the room were the machines - the kind where you use a pin to select the weight. Mostly arm machines, a few legs. One very tricky machine that would convert to several uses. Off to the side were the free weights - just bar-bells I think. A separate room was set up for spinning and aerobics. All the exercise classes cost extra. The Star also had classes in port - mostly walking or stretching.

Nothing to be intimidated about at all. Wear an old pair of sweats and a t-shirt. If you don't already know how to use the machines or have an exercise routine get a free pass at your local gym before the cruise and have someone show you the ropes. I didn't find much help at the Star. I think they had an orientation the first day. Go then and you can get all your quesations answered.

Then do yourself and your diet a big favor and get a spa pass. Do your gym workout, then go down and swim in the spa lap pool, followed by the hot tub and some relaxation on the loungers. Heaven!! You'll almost forget there's food on the ship. Plus, the spa area smells wonderful - aromatherapy. It'll make you feel good just being there.:p

I

Then do yourself and your diet a big favor and get a spa pass. Do your gym workout, then go down and swim in the spa lap pool, followed by the hot tub and some relaxation on the loungers. Heaven!! You'll almost forget there's food on the ship. Plus, the spa area smells wonderful - aromatherapy. It'll make you feel good just being there.:p

No lap pool in the spa on the Pearl, but other than that, you have touched on exactly what we're going to be doing while we're on the Pearl for 19 days.

Thanks so much for the encouragement! I will try to follow my routine while on board. It would be fun to watch the world go by while on the treadmill or trying the elliptical machine. Wish I had space for one of those at home.

I agree! We always go to the gym every morning! We'll also walk 2 miles around the deck if the gym is too crowded. One year I was on weight watchers when we cruised and I actually lost 1/2 pound in 14 days! May not be much, but I didn't gain anything! For heavens sake, do not worry about your gym clothes! You're there to sweat, not be a fashion icon! I cannot tell you how many stares I get when I use my weight gloves! :)

Hi,

We spent a week on the Pearl and went to the gym every single day. They have a lot of treadmills, most of which were usually taken by around 6:30, so I'd say go early if you want to try. Same with other cardio equipment--gym got busy!

I did take a class on the Pearl--the stretch class, I wanted to see how it was and was SO impressed--for a free class, it was great! I liked it so much that I didn't even sign up for the paid yoga and pilates--which are the ones I'd normally sign up for. I didn't stay for the aerobics because honestly it was the day of rough seas and I was feeling sick. So, free classes are aerobics and stretch. Paid ones are yoga, pilates and group cycle. I've taken group cycle in gyms all over the country, as well as on a Royal Carribean ship--that class is worth its price in gold, it is the greatest cardio ever. If you've never tried, I'd highly reccomend. It torches calories.

I mainly stuck to walking on the treamill for the cruise because I wasn't feeling well. DH ran on the treadmill. The jogging track on the Pearl is a joke in my opinion, one track only, with sharp corners--a nightmare if you have a fear of heights (mine is pretty paralizing). So, it was treadmills for us.

Hope this helps!!!

We just came off our second cruise on the Pearl and choose it because of the fitness center. Saw a pod of whales while on an elliptical. It has 28 to 32 pieces of aerobic equipment (10 to 12 ellipticals and treadmills each, 4 bikes, two stairclimbers and 2 rowers is what I think I counted.) The fitness class room is not huge but big enough for the classes (I only work out on the machines.) I agree with a previous poster - the track is unusable for a good workout.

On our first cruise there was always empty equipment. On Alaska there were a few peak times when almost all the fitness equipment was used (maybe more west-coast fitness buffs on board) but getting a machine was never a real issue - something would open up fast. At non-peak times extending over the 30 minute limit was not an issue because there was always a similar piece of equipment open.

If you are trying to maintain your weight the Pearl has a lot of healthly dining options - "Cooking Light" entrees and desserts in the dining room and healthy choices at the buffet. Hubby weighs about 120 pounds (one of those little runner types). Our group would laugh at how much he would pile on at the buffet (all healthy stuff - veggies and fruit).

Archived