Which ship hit Pier 90 (NYC) this morning???

Sparkylok6

We were on Deck 12 starboard aft watching our docking of the SPIRIT and the tugboat's work as it "nudged" the SPIRIT (which we didn't "feel") so that we could turn the corner around Pier 88. We soon felt a slight "bump" and heard a noise...but it wasn't much different from what we felt in our aft-wake-facing cabin when the ship's engines were started as we left each of our Ports Of Call. We thought it was just some "reverse thrusters" that were engaged to put the ship on the correct trajectory to align it parallel to Pier 88 (were we were to dock). The CARNIVAL MIRACLE was barely ahead of us as the two ships sailed in. At one point, from our aft vantage point, it looked like the MIRACLE wouldn't get out of the way fast enough for our SPIRIT to make the turn into the piers.

We left the ship at about 11:20 am and had no idea of what had transpired. There weren't any announcements that we heard...nor was there any "scuttle-butt" being mentioned amongst the passengers or crew members. It wasn't until we had secured an Airport Shuttle Van to take us to JFK, that we heard about the mishap. We took pictures of the SPIRIT while we awaited transportation at the pier and didn't see anything wrong. We first learned of the "crash" from other SPIRIT passengers that were on our Airport Shuttle. One man had pictures that he had taken from the pier, which showed the damage to the pier and the bow of the SPIRIT. He said that crew members immediately reported to the "scene" to make repairs. I'll have to take "zoomed" look at my pictures to see if anything shows up! As our van drove us to JFK, it was eerie listening to a news report on the radio. Now I can understand why people on the Titanic weren't too concerned at first...I guess when something as big as a ship runs into something, the impact is miniscule compared to that of a car collision (which I've also been through)!

Our cruise was a great adventure...right to the end!

Thanks JoJo for posting those two pictures...say "HI" to Lindsey for us!

Debjo

Debjo

Hey Debjo-

Did she go on the excursion in San Jaun with you? I'll let her know you said you hi!

After reading NBC's report, I think the Captain is in trouble and used poor judgement.

? you are ready to find the Captain at fault based on a 24 hour news report?

and that "An experienced worker on the pier told News 4 New York that tug boats normally pull cruise liners into their spots because it is such a small space, but he said the tough right turn was left to the captain on Sunday." probably one of the stevedores.

[B]For JoJo1554...[/B]
Yes, "Lindsey" was on the kayak excursion with us to Bioluminescent Bay. I also just realized that you had posted on the Roll Call Board for our sailing...small world isn't it! Guess we were all meant to meet up with each other on this trip! Hope you had as great a time in the forward section of the ship as we had in the aft section!

Debjo

Archived