Viewing lava flow from ship

cruisegirl

I know I read somewhere that there is one of the islands that you should be able to view the lava at night as the ship leaves. But I've not found that information. Can anyone tell me which island this is and where you'd be most likely to view it. (Which part of the island?)

Thanks.

This would only be the Big Island (the island of Hawaii) - probably when sailing out of Hilo.

Spleen

Thanks. A friend had thought it might be when we left Kona but we're leaving there so early I was hoping it was somewhere else. So am glad you think it's Hilo. I've heard it's quite a sight.

If you're gonna see flowing lava from a ship at night it would have to be sailing south and/or east from Hilo (which is about 30 miles north of the active volcano) rather than from Kona (which is on the other side of the island and "blocked" by a 13,680-foot mountain).

If you're gonna see flowing lava from a ship at night it would have to be sailing south and/or east from Hilo (which is about 30 miles north of the active volcano) rather than from Kona (which is on the other side of the island and "blocked" by a 13,680-foot mountain).

Thanks! Never have been too good with geography!

We just returned from the Vision of the Sea sailing from Hawaii. :p On the night we sailed from Hilo, we sailed past the lava flow. You can barely see a few bright red spots, yet everyone seemed to be on deck taking in the view. :cool:

Archived