Stockholm Quickest way to Vasa Museum

We will be arriving in Stockholm in August (29th) and dock at 8:00 am. We would like to go directly to the Vasa Museum first since it opens at 8:30 and most other sites don't open until 10:00. I am planning on purchasing our "Stockholm Cards" and having them sent to us before we leave home.

Our ship docks at Stadsgården, and all the other threads seem to mention that the walk from the ship to Slussen will take from 20 to 40 minutes depending on how fast you walk. There seems to be a regular bus stop at a place called "Londenviadukten" that seems very close to where the the ship will be docked, but this is never mentioned, is this a possibility? It would seem to save walking time. I guess we could take a taxi of course, but taxis seem rather expensive and we will already have our Stockholm Cards.

From Slussen, it appears that we could change to Bus #76 out to Djurgarden, or we could take the ferry from Slussen to Djurgarden, correct? However, if I understand correctly, we would have to pay for the ferry, it is not covered by our Card. Could we pay with a credit card (U.S. issued), or is there an ATM in this area? I thought it might be fun to take the ferry over, but then there is still a short walk from the ferry dropoff to the actual Vasa Museum?

Depending on how long we stay at the Vasa, we will then try to go to Skansen for a short time, or head back to Gamla Stan for the Royal Palace tours, etc. How far is the walk from Vasa to Skansen? Is it worthwhile to only spend an hour or so at Skansen, or better to skip it and head back to Gamla Stan?

If your ship docks at Stadsgården there is a bus stop just outside the Viking terminal which is next to where your ship docks. The name of the stop is Londonviadukten. From here you can take a bus to Slussen.

From Slussen there is bus 76 to Djurgården Bridge, from where there is a short walk to the Vasa museum. Or there is the regular ferry (not included in the Stockholm card). From May 30 until August 17 there is a ferry leaving at 8.00, 8.20 and 8.40 am. From 9.00 am there will be a ferry every 15 minutes. But on Saturday and Sunday the first ferry will be at 9.00 am.

In my mind the ferry is the nice way to go. Which will be the quicker way is a matter of traffic, if you have to wait for the ferry etc. The walk from the ferry or from Djurgården Bridge is about the same I think. I also think you can use your credit card to buy tickets for the ferry. If you for some reason want an ATM there is one inside the Viking terminal as you get off the ship, but I can’t remember any at Slussen.

To walk from Vasa to Skansen is perhaps 15 to 20 minutes if you don’t have a difficulty walking. Or there is a bus 47 from near The Vasa museum to the Skansen entrance. Skansen is a large area with a lot of things to see. You can easily spend a day there. I recommend you take a look and find what you want to see if you decide to go there. If it will be better for you to go directly from Vasa to Gamla Stan is something I can’t answer. Some people would perhaps want to be in time for the changing of the guards at the Royal Palace. This takes place at 12.15, except on Sundays when it is at 13.15.

Here is a link to a Stockholm map where I have marked some of the points of interest to cruise passengers: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000448dadb8bebb56f079&z=13

North-Bound,

Thank you very much for the response. I'm not sure I understand the part about the ferry running until August 17th. We are not there until August 29th. Is there a website with the dates and schedule shown for the Djurgarden ferry? Yes, I also thought the ferry might be a nice way over to the Vasa Musuem, although if it happens to be a rainy morning, maybe the bus would be better. Does the bus from Londenviadukten stop very close to where we would board the ferry? Any idea how much the ferry costs?

Thanks!

You can always take the bus in the morning and then the ferry to get back to Gamla Stan.

I am not quit sure where the bus stops, I have never taken that bus. But it should not be far from the ferry, and just ask someone to give you the right direction.

The cost for a oneway ticket on the ferry is SEK 30. For children and seniors it is SEK 20. Children 0-6 years old free.

Thanks North-Bound. We are there on a Friday, so if we can get off the ship in a timely manner, we will hopefully try to get on the ferry at either 8:20 or more likely 8:40.

I guess the Viking Terminal will be easy to spot, and we can just step inside to access the ATM? Then I assume go from there up (away from the water) to the bus stop. It looks like the local busses run every few minutes and all stop at Slussen, which would be the next stop.

Yes the Viking terminal will be easy to spot once you are off from the ship. When I went to check how things were at Stadsgården I just went in and found the ATM. From the terminal you will see a main road going by and that is where you can catch the bus. It should not be difficult.

I have little personal experiance of tour operator's in Stockholm. But here is a link to a car company I have used several times and they have a good reputation. But rather expensive I am afraid. http://www.freys.se/?lang=eng

One of our leading taxi companies can also offer a taxi with guide. I have never tried that so don't know if it is good. But here is a link: http://www.taxistockholm.se/TAXI-ENGELSKA-STARTSIDA/

Unless they have changed their policy since we were there last year, you will need the Swedish currency for the ferry. They would not take credit card, Euro, or anything but their money. Fortunately we were able to quickly change our plans. Possibly that has changed since then, but be prepared.

Unless they have changed their policy since we were there last year, you will need the Swedish currency for the ferry. They would not take credit card, Euro, or anything but their money. Fortunately we were able to quickly change our plans. Possibly that has changed since then, but be prepared.

Ok, thanks for letting me know. It would seem best to stop immediately at the ATM at the Viking Ferry Terminal and get some local currency. There's so much to see in Stockholm in a day that I really feel we need to have a sort of organized plan. Of course, we can always change the plan when there depending on what appeals most to us.

Note: We were in Stockholm last week (May 22) on the Crown Princess and the ferry from the Vasa Museum to Gamla Stan was on strike. We took the Princess shuttle into town from the dock and our driver dropped us off very near the Vasa....He told us which ferry to take for the return to old town, but apparently even he didn't know about the stirke....Surely the strike will be over by August, but just to be safe, you might want to check the status upon your arrival.

PS - It was about a 25-30 minute walk back. Also the Royal Apts were closed to tours when we were there....If we had known that, we would have headed directly to the City Hall instead...as it was, we missed the last English tour at City Hall. That was somewhat disappointing, but Stockholm was our first stop & we got smarter...or at least learned to ask a lot more questions to be sure our info was up-to-date

Good luck!

Hello!

You asked for quickest way...

we found it to be a taxi, which we took to Skansen which

was a little further out than Vasa

The cost was equivalent to 30 USD so it would be a little less for Vasa

We had both been to Stockholm before, so we decided to go to Skansen it's very spread out, we spent about 5 hours there, visiting the zoo and living history museum.

If you would like to view our Skansen photos..

Here's a link to our website

http://when.do.we.leave.googlepages.com

I heard somewhere there is the boat ride near the Stadsgården shore that will take passengers to the Vasa dock at Djurgården and other stops. It may not be the public ferry mentioned above though.

The quickest way is by Taxi. We were able to catch a taxi right away when we got off the ship last summer. I believe it cost about $10. We went direct to the Vasa at 8:30 when it opened and enjoyed the entire museum before the bus tours arrived. We saw the films, all the displays and spent over one hour there. We then went to the museum next door (would not do that again) After that, we caught the local bus (with our Stockholm card) and went over to catch the change of guard. Get there early to ensure a good spot. In the basement of the Royal Palace, is the National Armory (horse carriages etc). Was a nice museum to wander thru - very interesting. We then had time to wander around the old town, enjoy lunch in the town square and people watch. Then we walked back to the ship (quite a walk - maybe 2 miles).

Have fun!

Archived