Swamp Tours - Tragedy

Cotton

If anybody is interested in doing one of the swamp tours:

While it is rare that accidents occur during these tours, a terrible thing happened this past week. The Louisiana Swamp Tour Company (a reputable company) has four airboats that hold 16 passengers each. (Seat belts are always used.) However, one of the boats was in only three feet of water, coming back into dock, and overturned, killing TWO passengers, injuring several others. The exact cause has not been determined (to my knowledge at this time).

I don't like being the bearer of doom and gloom, but thought I'd bring this to your attention. So terribly sad.

Cotton,

They had a story about this in Sunday's paper. It seems that the driver might have been hot-dogging according to some of the passengers.

Also, the people who died were wearing seatbelts and were trapped under water and drowned.

It may be better not to wear a seat belt on an airboat.

• 5 months later...

Last september we took a swamp tour. Absolutely the hi light of our week in NO. If you check swamp tours on the internet you will find one company that has airboats that only hold 6 passengers. They are great!! Everyone has an outside seat and you can hear everything that is pointed out. They came into NO and picked us up and took us to the swamp and then returned us to our place of lodging. No seat belts either!

Chip Brady

Archived