walkie talkies

keywesst

I'm sure this has been discussed but I witnessed an incident today that made me think to post.

The small inexpensive walkie talkies would, IMO, have tremendous value on vacation. I'm not sure how well they'd work on board with all the metal, radio and electronics going on, but who cares, where ya gonna go?!

There are two kinds, one far superior to the other. There are also hybrids that transmit on both systems. FRS is cheap but shorter range. GMRS has much more range.

Remember, advertised ranges are typically over open water, no obstructions and spankin' brand new alkaline batteries. Buildings with metal studs, height, and any nearby equipment that generates electrical impulses (blenders, motors, the spinners in slots, older cars, etc) will affect range dramatically, but if one party is up in the air and the other on the ground they should work well. The $ difference between really good ones and cheap, tinny ones is small so it would be wise to spend the money. When you're home, remove the batteries and they will last forever in storage baggies.

What I saw today was a poor woman who could not keep up with Lloyd's bicycle tour and was essentially abandoned, nobody looked back. I circled around and she was almost crying because she had no idea where the group was! If she had a radio she could have stopped her husband/boyfriend/whatever and gotten some help. We ended up throwing her rental bike in the back of my truck and catching up to the group, but she was scared that happened and I don't blame her.

These radios are $79 a pair for good ones from Motorola, who I use in my taxi business (and so does just about every police dept in the country). They will go miles, especially if one of them is up in the air, i.e. on board a ship.

Consider them for your next cruise. They are tiny and could really come in handy where cellphones don't work and you get separated, or somebody "needs milk" and the other party might be near a market. 1000's of reasons.

[quote name=keywesst;14833765

What I saw today was a poor woman who could not keep up with Lloyd's bicycle tour and was essentially abandoned' date=' nobody looked back. I circled around and she was almost crying because she had no idea where the group was!

[/quote]

That is certainly a good reason not to ever take a Lloyd's bicycle tour.

DON

I disagree that one should not take Lloyd's tour. Today it was huge, maybe 25 bikes. He has a great tour and I highly recommend it.

Thank you for your kind comment, I help out tourists like I'd like them to help me or my wife if I was in a totally strange place. It comes back positive 10 times, sooner or later. Doesn't bother me one bit...(besides, we're NICE in Key West)

I just bought a 3-pk of Motorolas yesterday ... this week all disaster-relief products are tax-free in VA so I got them! I want the radios to give to our boys when the whole family cruises. But they'd probably be handy for just me & dh on our Bermuda cruise, too.

Archived