Pirate Ship and Snorkel- Cabo?

Mary Jane 711

• 1 month later...

We did this excursion on Thanksgiving and all in our party (ages 5 - 73) enjoyed it. Although it was good, it was not my favorite excursion of the week. I am happy that we did it, but I would not repeat the excursion (I would do Randi's Horses or Las Caletas again in a heartbeat). The crew was friendly, they made great drinks, and the water was nice. The pirates didn't put on the type of "show" I had anticipated. One gave a little history, and another climbed the ropes, but that was about the extent of it.

We were on her last February and really loved the experience. When the pirate crew opened the sails, it was quite an emotional experience. The great thing was that THIS was before the contract went to the cruiselines and cost us $32 ea for tickets at their ticket booth.

If you are interested, this ship is actually in a movie with Spencer Tracy - "Captains Courageous" - I had to buy the video after the trip, since that's where most of the movie was filmed.

This is from their web site:

Introduction to the Pirate Ship

From the minute you step aboard to see the crew in pirate garb and feel the wooden deck under your feet, you know you are in for a very special experience! Real working cannons poking their snub noses from gun ports complete the feeling of stepping backward through time. On our way out of the harbor you will hear the pirate history of Cabo while watching the crew at work high overhead in the rigging. If you like, you can help haul the lines to raise and trim the sails. Take the wheel and feel the power of this 110 ft. sailing ship! You sail the boat past lover's beach, the world famous arch, Land's End and into the Pacific.

Where else can you get a chance to actually steer a tall ship built in 1885? This boat is big! Over one hundred feet long and nineteen feet wide, she is big, roomy and stable.

The 'Sunderland' is a tall ship built in 1885 in Lowestoft, England by Samuel Richards. Her first name was "Civil Lord" and then changed to 'Sunderland' when she worked out of the town of Sunderland, England. The ship, designed for fishing and carrying cargo, had its first career sailing the heaviest ocen in the world, the North Sea.

This vessel is built of English oak on oak with a typical English plum stem which creates a lengthening of the waterline and gives her an advantage in sailing speed. The ships from the 1800's are now mostly replicas. English oak is a wood of longevity and it is next to impossible to find lumber of length and age to build such a ship as this today. Sunderland fished in the North Sea for 50 years. Her career went from a fishing and cargo vessel to a yacht when she had her first motor installed in the year of 1935, when the commercial use of sailing turned to power engines. She then sailed to the Americas where she was chosen to film the movie "Captains Courageous" making this her second career. This ship is definitely a hard working and lucky ship. She is now on her third career, sailing out of Cabo San Lucas doing pirate historical tours and robbing and pillaging tourists with the rest of the town.

• 1 year later...

Archived