Calling all Naples experts:)

Hi Texancruzer,

Thanks for train and Ferry info. I was out of few days and did not know this post turn to history or geography lesson.

Since this is my 1st trip to Italy and Naples is my 1st port to call. I like to get more info if anyone knows the answers, please help.

My plan is spend the morning in Pompeii then Sorrento in the afternoon the ferry back to Naples port.

After get off the ship, I will go to Pompeii by train, any idea where is the train station in Naples? Can I walk there? Take bus or taxi? People said taxi not willing to take customers for short ride to train station. but shuttle to train station is available, it that true ?

After spend 2 hours in Pompeii, I will take the train to Sorrento. How often the trains go from Pompeii to Sorrento? How long is it taking? Can I buy ticket to Sorrento but make stop at Pompeii or I need to buy two separated tickets?

How far is the ferry dock and train station in Sorrento city center? it is all within walking distance. Anything within 30 minutes is considered walking distance to me.

By the way, thanks Texancruzer answered my Deutschbank ATM question back in May-19.

Gosh..... the train schedules and station locations is not something I can help you with. We did not do this port on our own. We opted instead to hire a private driver and split the cost with 3 other couples on our ship. We all found each other on our roll call.

I know there are tons of others who have done just exactly what you want to do on the train..... I am sure they will jump in here and answer all your questions. :)

When are you going ??? The roads can be very congested in the summer. Very ! But that said.... we did our tour with APTours and they are very professional and know the roads, the traffic and will keep you on schedule.

We were there the very end of November.....no crowds no traffic. We did Pompeii in the morning (2-1/2 private tour) then to Ravello, Amalfi, Positano and ended in Sorrento where we took the ferry back to Naples instead of driving back with APTours. This was our option and gave us an additional 30-40 minutes during the day since it is faster to ferry back than to drive back. The ferry costs 9 euros per person extra. But it was faster, very scenic and we did not go over already covered area.

That I booked the exact same one with APTours!

This will probably be the only private tour we book (maybe Rome), otherwise we will be taking trains and buses. I thought that too much would be missed by train in this area.

Thanks Texancruzer!

That I booked the exact same one with APTours!

This will probably be the only private tour we book (maybe Rome), otherwise we will be taking trains and buses. I thought that too much would be missed by train in this area.

Thanks Texancruzer!

Tex, AP should give you a discount next time fo rall of us who booked b/c of your report:D

Lee Anne

Gosh guys.....no pressure :eek: LOL We DID have a wonderful day here. Our driver kept us on schedule and got us from one place to another with no stress. Here is a little "something" for ya' Hope I did it right !:o (This is Positano) click on thumbnail for bigger picture

1150713425_Europe2136.jpg.26e4de125282c3c1b251cb66bb2d725b.jpg

Hi Texancruzer,

After get off the ship, I will go to Pompeii by train, any idea where is the train station in Naples?

This site has helpful info (and photos) on taking the train from Naples to Pompeii:

http://www.europeportreviews.com/Naples.htm

http://www.europeportreviews.com/Naples5.htm

Also, post #22 in this thread describes taking the bus or trolley to the train station from the port:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=740771&page=2&highlight=circumvesuviana

Thanks Susan-M,

Thanks for the link, that is exactly what I am looking for. I did find the port review link after I post the question, but your link #1 Trolley and #152 bus will save me at least 20 minutes of walking from port to train station. Thanks for link again.

We too are doing a private tour with pick up at Naples port then to Pompeii, and making a loop through Ravello, Amalfi, Positano and Sorrento. We are meeting our driver at 8 am. (ship docks at 7 and leaves at 6 pm). He has arranged for a guided tour of Pompeii when it opens to avoid the heat in the latter part of the day. Since you did a similar route, were you on the inside of the road when driving along the Amalfi coastline? Was there so much traffic that it negatively affected your view of the ocean? I think I would prefer to be on the outside traveling N to S, but that is not how it's going to be. I am sure we'll have a lovely time, I just want to enquire as to your experience driving along the same route.

Also, we are going to be in port on Sat June 28 and thankfully according to porttime . com we are the only cruise ship in port that day. But we'll be there will hoards of other travelers so I know the route will be slow....our driver comes highly recommended but I am truly freaked out that we will miss our ship when it leaves the port....then we'll miss a sea day and have to catch up in Dubrovnik....

Love to hear some details about your experience starting in Pompeii and then back to Naples. also, was it difficult getting on the ship in a timely manner? We dock at 7 and pick up is at 8 am.

Thank you!

Since you did a similar route, were you on the inside of the road when driving along the Amalfi coastline? Was there so much traffic that it negatively affected your view of the ocean? I just want to enquire as to your experience driving along the same route. Check the map below.

our driver comes highly recommended but I am truly freaked out that we will miss our ship when it leaves the port....then we'll miss a sea day and have to catch up in Dubrovnik.... if it is a good co. they will keep you on schedule. They know the roads, the traffic and how to get you back on time.

Love to hear some details about your experience starting in Pompeii and then back to Naples. also, was it difficult getting on the ship in a timely manner? We dock at 7 and pick up is at 8 am. We all met in the Centrum at 7:30 and got off right away. Walked into the port building and our guide was waiting right outside with a sign .... easy.

amalfi_coast_map.gif

This might help. The best views are from Ravello(up in the mountains) down to Amalfi then along the coast to Positano and along the coast before cutting over to Sorrento. Don't worry you will have views !!!! We were there late when no crowds or traffic at all. It gave us lots of time in each village.... you may have less time but should still be able to visit each one. Your driver will take care of you.

Hey Tex, OK I did it, I booked Ap with some changes to thier itinerary, Sarah is so patient with all my questions and worries. The plan is drive to Ravello then to Positano with photo op stops, I told her we'd skip the sitdown lunch to give us more time to wander on our own. But as we get there we may change again and stop in Amalfi since we literally pass it, depends on how heavy traffic is. I am happy with this itinerary and cant wait! Thanks again for all your help with this:D

Heading out in 4weeks and counting!!!

Lee Anne:)

Hey Tex, OK I did it, I booked Ap with some changes to thier itinerary, Sarah is so patient with all my questions and worries. The plan is drive to Ravello then to Positano with photo op stops, I told her we'd skip the sitdown lunch to give us more time to wander on our own. But as we get there we may change again and stop in Amalfi since we literally pass it, depends on how heavy traffic is. I am happy with this itinerary and cant wait! Thanks again for all your help with this:D

Heading out in 4weeks and counting!!!

Lee Anne:)

You better post when you get back !!!!! I am SO JEALOUS..... I'M GREEN.

Have an awesome trip !

I definitely will, be looking for me around July 18th!! I'll make a review thread!

OH NO.... leave at 6:15 am on the 18th for 10 days in the Bahamas.....no computer !!! Will look for your review when I get back on the 27th :)

Archived