Calling all Naples experts:)

:) Here is an itinerary I was emailed from APtours. How does this sound? in port July from 7-4pm? I'm not going to see Pompei this trip. Lee Anne

**A great introduction to the area as you travel to your first destination a tour of the Amalfi Coast. Whilst experiencing the beautiful coast road and its many views there will be time to visit the famous towns such as Positano, Amalfi, and Ravello. Visit the picture-perfect town of Positano for some shopping and sight-seeing. Your driver will take you right to the heart of Positano, saving precious time and your legs! giving you longer to wander the traffic free lanes filled with linen shops, art galleries and cafes ]Amalfi you may wish to take a short stroll to admire the stunning cathedral of St. Andrew, visit the paper mill or just enjoy the main piazza and its shops And the beautiful town of Ravello, time to visit the beautiful gardens of Villa Rufolo and enjoy a breathtaking view of the coastline before meeting up again with your driver in the main Piazza of Ravello

No stop in Italy is complete without a traditional homemade pasta lunch; your private driver on your request will suggest a restaurant with true Italian hospitality.

When are you going ??? The roads can be very congested in the summer. Very ! But that said.... we did our tour with APTours and they are very professional and know the roads, the traffic and will keep you on schedule.

We were there the very end of November.....no crowds no traffic. We did Pompeii in the morning (2-1/2 private tour) then to Ravello, Amalfi, Positano and ended in Sorrento where we took the ferry back to Naples instead of driving back with APTours. This was our option and gave us an additional 30-40 minutes during the day since it is faster to ferry back than to drive back. The ferry costs 9 euros per person extra. But it was faster, very scenic and we did not go over already covered area.

All three of these villages are unique. We loved Ravello for the views from the main square into the mountains..... the gardens and it has a real small Italian mountain village feel. If you are lucky enough to hear the church bells ring....you will not forget them. We wandered and shopped here. Amalfi has tiny "streets" that go up up up with rough worn steps and is pretty cool. We bought our lemoncello here and had a wonderful (YUM) pizza lunch (on our own) here. Positano has an almost magical feel to me...... alot of walking up and down - sometimes on stairs sometimes on flat sidewalks that are quite steep in some areas. We walked down to the beach checking out shops and stores etc. along the way. Just remember if you walk down to the beach....you must walk back up :o If you havent seen the movie "Under the Tuscan Sun" - go rent it. Some of it was filmed here.

The drive from one village to another is like no other. You will oooh and aaaah the whole day :D

We enjoyed our day here and it was probably my favorite (altho they were all good !)

Yes I also asked Aptours if we could hydrofoil back instead of drive. The traffic is whats making me nervous but Sarah at AP said not to worry it is plenty of time(7-4pm) and the drivers will make changes if too much traffic for our plans. This is why I'd rather go on private than with ship tour, besides it only goes to Amalfi and I MUST see Positano.:D Are Ravello and Amalfi must sees or should I just do Positano and enjoy it there and then hydrofoil it back? Or woiuld you say A and R were must sees too?

In Ravello, a hike out to the Villa Cimbrone and the 5 euro fee to view the clifs and sea from the deck is a must.

Do not miss it. Takes about a half hour to walk and you will want to spend some time there.

Not a lot to see in Amalfi itself beyond the town square.

Positano: it is required to walk all the way to the beach and back.

You should have plenty of time if you stay our of the shops for a while.

Question for Texas cruzer or anyone who knows: You wrote: We were there the very end of November..... ended in Sorrento where we took the ferry back to Naples instead of driving back with APTours. This was our option and gave us an additional 30-40 minutes during the day since it is faster to ferry back than to drive back. The ferry costs 9 euros per person extra. But it was faster, very scenic and we did not go over already covered area.

We are staying in Amalfi overnight the first week in October. I have been warned that the hydrofoil does not run after the 1st of October. Did you have any concern about the ferry not running from Sorrento to Naples? Do you know if there is a ferry from Amalfi to Sorrento that late in the season?

Thanks

In Ravello, a hike out to the Villa Cimbrone and the 5 euro fee to view the clifs and sea from the deck is a must.

Do not miss it. Takes about a half hour to walk and you will want to spend some time there.

Not a lot to see in Amalfi itself beyond the town square.

Positano: it is required to walk all the way to the beach and back.

You should have plenty of time if you stay our of the shops for a while.

What is Villa Cimbrone it sounds wonderful? Ok in Positano can I cheat and use the driver to get to the beach?? :) So you think it is doable, good, I dont know why I am sooo nervous about the timing of it all.

Lee Anne

Question for Texas cruzer or anyone who knows: You wrote: We were there the very end of November..... ended in Sorrento where we took the ferry back to Naples instead of driving back with APTours. This was our option and gave us an additional 30-40 minutes during the day since it is faster to ferry back than to drive back. The ferry costs 9 euros per person extra. But it was faster, very scenic and we did not go over already covered area.

We are staying in Amalfi overnight the first week in October. I have been warned that the hydrofoil does not run after the 1st of October. Did you have any concern about the ferry not running from Sorrento to Naples? Do you know if there is a ferry from Amalfi to Sorrento that late in the season?

Thanks

We did not take the hydrofoil but rather a regular ferry. Think large boat with the inside filled with seats (cushioned sort of like an airline seat). Not fancy - mostly full of locals. Had a tv with local news in Italian going. But we enjoyed the ride along the coast and the sun was setting on the last 10-15 minutes or so. It docked right next to our ship so was very convenient. Once back on the ship we watched from our balcony as it pulled out to make another trip to somewhere ??? Not sure about the schedule and so of the hydrofoil.... but I do know that many locals use the ferry to get back and forth to work etc.... and it did save us about 40 minutes that we put to good use during the day :) APTours suggested this option to us and we never questioned whether it would be running or not !!

My best advice would be to contact your hotel/lodging and ask the concierge or manager regarding the hydrofoil/ferry schedules. I know there is a website for such info but I have found the guy at the front desk who lives there can be full of info not found anywhere else :D

Hi Lee Anne,

I agree Ravello is a "must see". Amalfi is interesting to see, but we didn't need a lot of time there to be fullfilled. I'm a big fan of slow travel, so I would be torn in your shoes. We rented a villa in Positano this past summer and it was one of the best trips of our lives getting to really know a place. But if you are not coming back, not seeing Ravello would be a shame. Amalfi probably too, but I wouldn't plan much time there. So doing all three versus just Positano is probably better.

Unfortunately, the car can't take you to the beach; actually it is the walk up that is bad. Having walked up to where your car will meet you and actually higher to our villla is one reason I suggested the ferry back. If you are active and fit, it will be no problem and good way to work off gelato. We usually walked down ate and drank, so the walk up was really tough. The tour summary is misleading as they won't really bring you to the heart of Positano as the real heart of it doesn't allow cars. You'll be at the top of the pedestrian only area.

Another great movie to get you in the mood is Only You with Marisa Tomei. It is what first got me interested in Positano.

It is all great, so don't worry about what you choose.

Sheila

Golfergal, I agree slow travel is best, but I also agree from what I've read that all three is probably a must. Thanks for the heads up about "the heart of town" fortunately we are young and fit, well fit at least ;) so the walking will be fine. I just wonder will we have time to get to beach area with doing all three? I guess we'll figue it out as we go and if we love Positano too much it' our Euro,many Euro so we can change the day plan.

Do you recall how long it takes from Pos. to Amalfi,Rav. ? I forgot about that movie, I've seen it but will now watch it with new eyes!

Lee Anne

Texancruzer do you know the difference between the ferry and hydrofoil? Is one faster than the other? I am awaiting response from AP as to my specific questions for them.

I may be wrong but a hydrofoil is a specially designed high powered boat that will rise up on a plane and skim over the water when it gets going fast enough.... much smoother ride and faster. I rode one when I was small in California. Did not see the one that is in this area. Perhaps it does indeed stop running after October.

A ferry can be many kinds of boats. Some big ones that can carry cars and large loads of just about anything as well as people. The one we rode on was just a large boat specifically set up to haul people back and forth between the seaports on this coastline. Not a rough ride - big windows so we could see the coastline. Pretty fast imo..... all in all an enjoyable ride. Hope this info helps as I am by no means an expert on this topic :o

Yes I also asked Aptours if we could hydrofoil back instead of drive. The traffic is whats making me nervous but Sarah at AP said not to worry it is plenty of time(7-4pm) and the drivers will make changes if too much traffic for our plans. This is why I'd rather go on private than with ship tour, besides it only goes to Amalfi and I MUST see Positano.:D Are Ravello and Amalfi must sees or should I just do Positano and enjoy it there and then hydrofoil it back? Or woiuld you say A and R were must sees too?

Ravello is definately must see. Fantastic views of coast line and a square with 2 sides shops and bars and the other the church . A beautiful place with more space and less crowded than A & P.:)

Hi Lee Anne,

Here's some advice from another LeeAnne! :) If you're worried about being too rushed, I would skip Amalfi and just stick with Positano and Ravello. I would rather spend more time relaxing and enjoying those two charming villages. Amalfi is lovely and interesting, but IMO not nearly as charming as Positano and Ravello.

I love what you did! how much did it cost? We are four. I hope we can afford this tour! we are going october 4th have you got the website of aptour?

quote=texancruzer;14884602]When are you going ??? The roads can be very congested in the summer. Very ! But that said.... we did our tour with APTours and they are very professional and know the roads, the traffic and will keep you on schedule.

We were there the very end of November.....no crowds no traffic. We did Pompeii in the morning (2-1/2 private tour) then to Ravello, Amalfi, Positano and ended in Sorrento where we took the ferry back to Naples instead of driving back with APTours. This was our option and gave us an additional 30-40 minutes during the day since it is faster to ferry back than to drive back. The ferry costs 9 euros per person extra. But it was faster, very scenic and we did not go over already covered area.

All three of these villages are unique. We loved Ravello for the views from the main square into the mountains..... the gardens and it has a real small Italian mountain village feel. If you are lucky enough to hear the church bells ring....you will not forget them. We wandered and shopped here. Amalfi has tiny "streets" that go up up up with rough worn steps and is pretty cool. We bought our lemoncello here and had a wonderful (YUM) pizza lunch (on our own) here. Positano has an almost magical feel to me...... alot of walking up and down - sometimes on stairs sometimes on flat sidewalks that are quite steep in some areas. We walked down to the beach checking out shops and stores etc. along the way. Just remember if you walk down to the beach....you must walk back up :o If you havent seen the movie "Under the Tuscan Sun" - go rent it. Some of it was filmed here.

The drive from one village to another is like no other. You will oooh and aaaah the whole day :D

We enjoyed our day here and it was probably my favorite (altho they were all good !)

Texancruzer- Nevermind, AP wrote back saying the ferry or jetboat wont work with my timing:( guess I'm driving back.

Seapenarth- Ravello sounds wonderful, but 2 hrs from Naples?? yuck!

LeeAnne Hi!! Thats exactly what I was thinking, just do R & P, I really want time in Positano.

Petru-APTOURS.it and they will customize tour for you.

I am still concerned about enough time to make to back to ship but I guess I have to trust Ap and giveover my worry and just enjoy.

Lee Anne:)

Just coming from med cruise. In Rome we used romeinlimo.com was very good but in Naples we booked a tour from the sorrentosilverstar.com and it was superb we went to Positano Amalfi and Ravello, enough time in each place 8 hours tour we were back to Naples at 4:00pm from 8:00am very relaxing.

Thank you so much this makes me feel better. Now I am in port 7am-and must be board at 3:30, so almost same time a little less I guess Ihave 7hrs but sounds doable. Did you find you wish you had more time in one spot than another? This will go from Naples to ravello first then A and P heading back to Naples. Did you eat a sit down lunch or just grab and go? The tour company recommends a restaurant La Tagliata onhill top in Positano but I am nervous this will cut time too much. Could I also ask how much this tour was? For how many?

Lee Anne :)

I love what you did! how much did it cost? We are four. I hope we can afford this tour! we are going october 4th have you got the website of aptour?

www.aptours.it The driver and van for the whole day was 500 euros. The private guide at Pompeii was 100 euros. The ferry back was 9 euros per person.

We split the cost of the driver/van and the private guide with 3 other couples. This made the cost very reasonable. We found each other on our roll call for our sailing. We find this to be a very good way to do a smaller excursion while keeping the cost down. We had a super day ! :D

Lee Anne,

Keep in mind that lovesea68 seems to have just returned. May and July are VERY DIFFERENT. May is really off-season. I think leaving off Amalfi is a great idea. It was nice to see, but nothing compared to Positano and Ravello. I think Ravello is between Amalfi and Positano, so cutting out Amalfi would give you more cushion. But I could easily be wrong on that.

As for the ferries (I know you are not going this way), we've been on the hydrofoil described below in which it is like skiing on the water. There are ferries they call "hydrofoils" in the naples/positano area, but I agree they don't elevate and skim the same way.

What are the times that AP is giving you to Ravello, allowed in Ravello, to Postino from Ravello, in Positano, and then back to Naples? If you break it down it might make you more comfortable.

I think you could do Ravello in an hour or even less. This doesn't do it justice, but you don't have a lot of time either. Walking around Positano and having lunch/drinks/gelato could be 2-3 hours depending on how you handle lunch. We spent a week in JUST Positano on our latest trip and that wasn't our first time staying there either. So you could spend a lot more than 3 hours easily. There are some nice little stores in which you could pick up a great picnic for the ride back if you don't sit down for lunch. Just remember you have to ask for the check in Italy or you'll be sitting there all day waiting for it. If that doesn't sound good to you, go with your insincts and just visit Positano. You can't go wrong with that either. I promise you are going to want to come back whatever you do.

La Tagliata gets great reviews on the Fodor's message board, especially for lunch as the views are awesome. I highly suggest you do some research on the Fodor's boards too as there is a tremendous amount of knowledge on the European boards. Just don't volunteer you are on a cruise. You're adpt to get a lecture about not seeing Europe the right way.

Sheila

Just have to add another 2 cents here.....as far as time in each village -

We were picked up early 8 a.m. and went straight to Pompeii where we did a 2-1/2 hr private tour in the morning.... You will not be doing this part so will have more time. Now we went way out of season so no traffic to deal with but I think by not going to Pompeii this more than compensates.

We then went to Ravello and had @ 45 minutes there. Agree we could have spent more time there but it was enough for us. Then to Amalfi and we had more time here since we were given time for lunch on our own. We found a neat little pizza place behind the church. Dh claims it was the best pizza he has ever eaten (and he has eaten alot!) so that is saying it was pretty darn good. We then went to Positano and had the most time here. Walked all the way down to the beach and back (slowly !) and went in a few shops along the way. We also stopped (bathroom break) at a gorgeous store (near the Emerald grotto) and shopped for a hand painted tile mural. Stopped for numerous photo ops too. Then to Sorrento just in time to catch the ferry back to Naples.

My take on visiting this area is this. You will want to go back. Period. I do. There really just isnt enough time to see it very thoroughly in one day. But we really enjoyed seeing each village and its' uniqueness. I really can't say I would have skipped any of them to spend more time in one or the other.

I would however, skip the sit down time consuming lunch !!!! Grab some great pizza in Amalfi or some other "quicker" fare. But again ~ that is my take on things.

Sheila- You are right about May vs July:cool: The tour says 2hrs from Naples to Ravello and 1hr15min from Positano to Naples..plus ride from Ravello to Positano(how long is that?) sooo if I am picked up at 7:15(is that doable with 7am arrival?) and I have to be back at 3:30 that sounds like alot more driving than seeing,although I know the drive on the coast is part of what you go to see. But it seems I'd only have 2 hours in Positano. Perhaps I should just do Positano and enjoy for several hours no rush and pray to get back one day for the rest. Any advice?

Texancruzer- I think you had more time in port than I do, how much time did you have in Positano and do remember how long from Ravello to Amalfi and Amalfi To Positano was?

I feel like I'm making this more difficult and confusing than it has to be.:eek:

Lee Anne:)

Question for Texas cruzer or anyone who knows:

I will be in Naples Aug-27. I plan to do my own tours to Sorrento and Pompeii. You mention a ferry ride from Naples to Sorrento for 9 euro. is it a direct ferry ride or it has to stop stop at Carpi ? Any idea how much the train cost from Naples to Sorrento ? how far is the train station from Naples port,it is walking distance ? (My walking distance means less than 30 minutes)

My plan is take the train to Sorrento, stop at Pompii then Ferry from Sorrento back to the Port. Thanks!

Question for Texas cruzer or anyone who knows:

I will be in Naples Aug-27. I plan to do my own tours to Sorrento and Pompeii. You mention a ferry ride from Naples to Sorrento for 9 euro. is it a direct ferry ride or it has to stop stop at Carpi ? Any idea how much the train cost from Naples to Sorrento ? how far is the train station from Naples port,it is walking distance ? (My walking distance means less than 30 minutes)

My plan is take the train to Sorrento, stop at Pompii then Ferry from Sorrento back to the Port. Thanks!

We only took the ferry from Sorrento to Naples (not the other way) after driving all day with a private driver/van.

It was a direct ferry from Sorrento to Naples and docked right next to where our ship was docked. 9 euros per person - very nice ride - very convenient.

Seems like you would take train from Naples to Pompeii - then on to Sorrento and then ferry back to Naples ???

amalfi_coast_map.gif

We want to do the same thing. The train to Herculaneum, Pompeii, and finishing in Sorrento. We want to ferry back to Naples, or hydrofoil. Is there enough time in the day, with an early start, to make it back to the ship on time? It docks at 7:00 am and leaves at 6:00 pm.

We want to do the same thing. The train to Herculaneum, Pompeii, and finishing in Sorrento. We want to ferry back to Naples, or hydrofoil. Is there enough time in the day, with an early start, to make it back to the ship on time? It docks at 7:00 am and leaves at 6:00 pm.

I don' think you should have a problem. Since you are taking the train - traffic should not enter into the equation :D If planning on touring both historical sites you will need to keep your eye on the clock tho.... I would probably chose one or the other and do a more in depth tour. JMO

Like I posted we did Pompeii in the morning..... the Ravello, Amalfi, Positano then Sorrento with stops in each one..... we had the same time frame in port. We did go late Nov. but again...you are taking the train so traffic should not enter into your plans.

Archived