WI-FI (Blackberrys) on Freedom Class Ships

Everytime I call the RCCL online reps they sound less and less like they know what they are talking about.

Today a rep told me that on the Freedom class ships concerning WiFi, that it was free for cell phones to use the WiFi system but that your cell phone carrier would charge you, not RCCL. This contradicts what I am reading on the boards.

Now I just spent an hour speaking with T Mobile who assured me that since I have a WiFi enabled Blackberry that my calls would not be international roaming on the ship and simply count as local calls (against my minutes) so I wouldn't be charged for calls (or internet).

Has anyone used a blackberry on the Freedom class ships via WiFi, how was the service (both phone and email/internet) and just to confirm, the billing is the same as in the internet cafe??

thanks in advance!

Hi Jennifer,

Last year, I was not able to access the WiFi via Blackberry without signing up for a wireless package. Granted it was a year ago things may have changed, but one would think that with "free" access via BlackBerry, one could simply access their BlackBerry via bluetooth from their computer and have computer access for free.

As one who receives alot of communication via email, I would love to have to access to wifi.

Everytime I call the RCCL online reps they sound less and less like they know what they are talking about.

Today a rep told me that on the Freedom class ships concerning WiFi, that it was free for cell phones to use the WiFi system but that your cell phone carrier would charge you, not RCCL. This contradicts what I am reading on the boards.

Now I just spent an hour speaking with T Mobile who assured me that since I have a WiFi enabled Blackberry that my calls would not be international roaming on the ship and simply count as local calls (against my minutes) so I wouldn't be charged for calls (or internet).

Has anyone used a blackberry on the Freedom class ships via WiFi, how was the service (both phone and email/internet) and just to confirm, the billing is the same as in the internet cafe??

thanks in advance!

on Both Liberty last year and Adventure this year, my phone worked 95% of the time but NOT the data portion of my blackberry. However, mine is issued through work and I do not have an international plan. The phone if it didn't work, was ususally in port, once we sailed away, the voice signal returned. The emails started coming in when we were in a US port or as we approached Miami or San Juan. I do not know what I was charged for the phone service while on board as it is a work phone and they have not come after me so it couldn't have been too much. As another poster has said, I come on the cruise ship to ESCAPE the blackberry which consumes me so it doesn't bother me that I can't get my emails!!!! :)

I hope this helps!

I have an iphone and when they first came out I heard all these stories about bills that travelers got when they get home into the thousands because your phone connects every three minutes if there isn't a WIFI connection - which there isn't because you have to sign on to RCI network on board unless something drastically has changed.

I shut off the update function on my phone and only enabled it when I wanted to see if anything came in. when my phone is on, I get charged $ 2.50 per minute and the phone says Cellular at Sea, - T Mobile might be a lower amount? - and I have international calling that is $ 5.99 per month that sometimes works in ports.

I think I know a little bit about the phone service but not everything so maybe this will get you a little closer! BTW, I got At & T just because it was all about RCI and it seems like everyone else gets better service!! We have 2 restaurants, kids & I have a busy "other" job so I do like to know if something happens at home but everyone knows I'm on vacation so they aren't calling the whole time.

on Both Liberty last year and Adventure this year, my phone worked 95% of the time but NOT the data portion of my blackberry. However, mine is issued through work and I do not have an international plan. The phone if it didn't work, was ususally in port, once we sailed away, the voice signal returned. The emails started coming in when we were in a US port or as we approached Miami or San Juan. I do not know what I was charged for the phone service while on board as it is a work phone and they have not come after me so it couldn't have been too much. As another poster has said, I come on the cruise ship to ESCAPE the blackberry which consumes me so it doesn't bother me that I can't get my emails!!!! :)

I hope this helps!

so are you saying that your blackberry wifi picked up the rccl wifi without signing up for the online account? meaning rccl didn't charge you at all??

and yes, I should turn it off on vacation. My post is because if I can make and receive calls for free (minus normal minutes used via wifi) then I can feel less guilty about hopping on a sale fare and working from the boat. The only good thing about a down real estate market is that I am not missing a lot!

WiFi is for Internet/E-mail. The cell service on the ship is for calls. You will be billed for calls by your cell phone carrier. It will be expensive. You can buy various plans for Wi-Fi service. The more minutes you pre-book, the lower the cost per minute. WiFi service is authenticated through your browser, so your phone would have to have a browser that supports this.

I was on Explorer last June (07) with my AT&T Blackberry. It received e-mails throughout the entire cruise (or so it seemed), and I hadn't signed up for any sort of WiFi. There was no additional charge on my AT&T bill.

I made one call from San Juan, thinking it was US territory. The call was only about 15 minutes long, but cost $40!

T

WiFi is for Internet/E-mail. The cell service on the ship is for calls. You will be billed for calls by your cell phone carrier. It will be expensive. You can buy various plans for Wi-Fi service. The more minutes you pre-book, the lower the cost per minute. WiFi service is authenticated through your browser, so your phone would have to have a browser that supports this.

The blackberry (and I Phone) are WIFI capable meaning we can make calls on the wifi network, not cell network.

Archived