Buying Medicine in Mexico, Can I???

funat55

The FDA was very close to allowing some simple anitbiotics and birth control pills over the counter 2 years ago. It did pass their scrutiny but the pharmacuticals lobbyist squelched it with their lobby. Look at prilosec, Zantac that are available now. Take 2 pill you have prescription strength. Tell me why you can take 2 tabs or 400 mg of motrin as recommended on the bottle for pain, But 1, 400 mg tab, is prescription strength. Another thing that is not real well known is birth control pills. They were going to be available OTC until the lobbyist stopped it again. As any nurse that works emergency room and takes care of sexual assault knows that you give 1 birth control pill immediately and 1 the next day to prevent pregnancy. Wouldnt that be nice for the general public to take a pill when you have sex instead of 30 days worth the pills? Again only because of the drug lobbyists. They would lose too much money.

debkjw

The FDA was very close to allowing some simple anitbiotics and birth control pills over the counter 2 years ago. It did pass their scrutiny but the pharmacuticals lobbyist squelched it with their lobby. Look at prilosec, Zantac that are available now. Take 2 pill you have prescription strength. Tell me why you can take 2 tabs or 400 mg of motrin as recommended on the bottle for pain, But 1, 400 mg tab, is prescription strength. Another thing that is not real well known is birth control pills. They were going to be available OTC until the lobbyist stopped it again. As any nurse that works emergency room and takes care of sexual assault knows that you give 1 birth control pill immediately and 1 the next day to prevent pregnancy. Wouldnt that be nice for the general public to take a pill when you have sex instead of 30 days worth the pills? Again only because of the drug lobbyists. They would lose too much money.

debkjw

In NY you can get the morning after bill without a script. Its not only the pharma lobby who stopped it it was the local pharmacy as well. The price of the OTC has dropped precipitously---and it probably doesn't cost any more than the copay now that it isn't covered by insurance. But it is much cheaper to store and transport OTC drugs than controlled ones.

In the interest of accurate information, though, it is worth clarifying to people that it is, in fact, illegal to "smuggle" medications purchased abroad into the country. Believe it or not, some people actually follow the law simply because it is the law, regardless of whether or not they stand to be punished for it...

Once everybody is AWARE of what the situation is, everybody can then decide for themselves whether or not they are comfortable breaking the law...

Before I make my reply I do want to say I have never purchased a drugs (prescription w/o the prescription) in Mexico and taken it on board a ship. But I did go to Mexico in February and I purchased two kinds of drugs for my DH and I w/o any prescriptions. I purchased them, walked to where they check your Passports and walked back into Texas w/o anyone looking into my bag and asking me what I had purchased. It is not against the law to purchase drugs in Mexico as long as they are legal here in the US.

People need to pick and choose which laws not to break, since it is IMPOSSIBLE to live day to day and not break some law, rule, statute or regulation of some sort. We are up to our eyeballs in “laws” and there are countless bureaucrats, elected “officials” and political types making new ones everyday.

Really? It's pretty easy to live one's life without breaking laws. People may choose which laws to follow and which to break, but it is NOT because it is prohibitively difficult to follow them all - it is because they want something and they would be forced to forego it if they followed the law...

"Rules", depending on what you mean by the term, may be slightly harder to follow unequivically because ANYBODY, whether they have real authority or not, can decide to make up a rule.

Really? It's pretty easy to live one's life without breaking laws. People may choose which laws to follow and which to break, but it is NOT because it is prohibitively difficult to follow them all - it is because they want something and they would be forced to forego it if they followed the law...

"Rules", depending on what you mean by the term, may be slightly harder to follow unequivically because ANYBODY, whether they have real authority or not, can decide to make up a rule.

Easy eh, I take it you are versed on EVERY law on the books... amazing. It must keep you very busy!

Yep, I hear a Fog Horn.

Easy eh, I take it you are versed on EVERY law on the books... amazing. It must keep you very busy!

Yep, I hear a Fog Horn.

Ah, I thought you were talking about picking and choosing which laws not to break. I guess you're not. You're talking about inadvertantly breaking laws, the existence of which you were not aware. Totally different discussion...

In that case, thanks to this thread, everybody here now knows that they may not legally smuggle contraband medications. Now readers don't have to worry about mistakenly breaking a law of which they were unaware. I'm glad that we could provide such a service!

Ah, I thought you were talking about picking and choosing which laws not to break. I guess you're not. You're talking about inadvertantly breaking laws, the existence of which you were not aware. Totally different discussion...

In that case, thanks to this thread, everybody here now knows that they may not legally smuggle contraband medications. Now readers don't have to worry about mistakenly breaking a law of which they were unaware. I'm glad that we could provide such a service!

Breaking a law is breaking a law and as Barney Fife said, Ignorance of the law is no excuse. You said it is easy to live life without breaking any laws, seems you have found a justification to backtrack from that statement, well good for you!

I think there is something nobler about choosing to break an inane law put in place for dubious reasons and accepting the possible although unlikely consequences then to be a Lemming. But to each their own.

I’ll “smuggle” minor prescription meds as is my want and you can enjoy your Fog Horn, a win–win situation.

Clearmindedly choosing a course of action (along with the potential consequences thereof) is perfectly acceptable in my book. Go for it.

Claiming that you are doing it, though, because "it's too hard to follow the rules" is pathetic, self-serving, and untrue...

You said it is easy to live life without breaking any laws, seems you have found a justification to backtrack from that statement, well good for you!

I STILL feel it is easy to live life without breaking any laws. [i didn't say that I [u]do[/u] so, but I certainly COULD without great difficulty] We all know hundreds of activities and behaviors that are NOT against the law. All we have to do is limit ourselves to those activities. Easy as pie!

debkjw

Most pharmacy's sell "Plan B" without a prescription here in the USA if you are over age 18, must have a prescription if 17 or younger.

So, for those people that are buying meds at the ports like antibiotics, Retin-A... are you declaring them when you go through customs???

They can't, because if they require a prescription to purchase, they must show the prescription. So then, they add smuggling to the laundry list.

OTC meds are a different story. You can purchase them in reasonable quantities for personal use without any problems.

A co-worker was caught by by Customs with meds purchased in Mexico. He was arrested for it. He was eventually released but was told he could have been imprisoned for smuggling it back into the US without a prescription. Not really sure how they found it. He never really went into detail.

It is funny how threads such as this tends to bring out all the medical professionals. Hello to all of my fellow RN's who work to heal and educate as I do. As I read the various comments by posters who have not a clue what danger they may be inflicting on themselves, I have to count my blessings to have good medical coverage and empathize with those who don't. Please be safe fellow cruisers.

I bought some "Vicodin" in Belize ... and I work in a hospital, brought it in and had one of the pharmacists check it out ... the ingredients are NOT what's in Vicodin. It HAS pain killers in these pills, but not Vicodin pain killers. So do beware. I haven't taken any since ... and they were just for the intermittent migraine. Forget it, not worth the worry that something in there might cause a problem.

So, if I have a valid scrip from a doctor (say, for birth control), and I use the opportunity to buy a years' worth when I'm in Mexico, I face imprisonment?? Yes or no??

No. CPB (customs and border protection) will allow a reasonable amount of non opiate prescriptions drugs with a script for personal use. I would think a years supply would be ok but you could always run it to one CPB agent who thinks 6 months is the limit but as a civil not a criminal matter.

There is often a doctor on call for pharmacies that can write a script for a few pesos.

Located where? Right there at the pharmacy??? He writes what I ask for or what he thinks I should have?

So, if I have a valid scrip from a doctor (say, for birth control), and I use the opportunity to buy a years' worth when I'm in Mexico, I face imprisonment?? Yes or no??

See the post about the Vicodin not being Vicodin. Now, if you buy Vicodin that's not Vicodin, your pain doesn't go away as quickly. You buy birth control that's not really birth control...you get a baby!

I have purchased medications in Mexico and never had a problem.

There are many Americans who live and get sick in Mexico-what meds do you think they get?? Someone runs to the US and brings them US drugs??!!

My son needs a drug for his asthma-he has no insurance. In the US the cost at Walmart is $187.00 for 1 disc. I can get the very same Advair disc in Mexico made by the very same company we get here-US labels and all, not expired, not opened and again made by the only company that produces it for $32.00 each. Now should I buy that in the US for $187 or in Mexico for $32?

I also bring home Amoxicillin,( Amoxil) and ventolin inhalers.

The pharmacy is run by an American from Oka. American Discount Drugstore -off Calle 5 I believe. There are others by the ports.

And FYI -if you think all our drugs are made in the USA-think again. My husband gets all his meds thru the VA and I peeled off a label to see where one of the bottles came from and it was from Canada!! So our own govt. who tells you not to go to Mexico or Canada gets their drugs from out of the US too.

Just be smart and put it in your suitcases and thats that.

Now hit me with your best shot:D

I have purchased medications in Mexico and never had a problem.There are many Americans who live and get sick in Mexico-what meds do you think they get?? Someone runs to the US and brings them US drugs??!!

Ah, but if they live in Mexico, then they don't have to bring the medications across the border into the U.S. If they're not bringing the medications across the border, then they're not violating the law. It's not purchasing the drugs that is illegal - the illegal part is smuggling them into the U.S.

My son needs a drug for his asthma-he has no insurance. In the US the cost at Walmart is $187.00 for 1 disc. I can get the very same Advair disc in Mexico made by the very same company we get here-US labels and all, not expired, not opened and again made by the only company that produces it for $32.00 each. Now should I buy that in the US for $187 or in Mexico for $32?

You know, it's not just drugs that are cheaper in Mexico. So are rent, food, gas, services, merchandise... By your logic, shouldn't your son move to Mexico? That way, he can get everything at a discount...

I assume that your response will be that he prefers to live in the U.S., and I don't blame him. There are a lot of good things that come with living here. However, in exchange for those benefits, the country expects us to follow the laws. Is that really so much to expect, given how much we gain from living here?

Well that would be no brainer for me. Mexico:)

Archived