Best Boutique-y hotel in FLL?

stomsf

Hi All --

We are going on the 2nd Solstice Voyage out of FLL in November and want a boutique-y style hotel -- nice rooms, close to the beach, nice pool, etc. We find smaller hotels are more interesting than the big box you typically get with a Marriott or other chain.

Probably won't have a car so proximity to good restaurants (we're foodies!) would be nice. Any suggestions?

While doing an internet search, I came across Pillars at New River Sound Hotel. It is in a great location a block or two from the beach, on the intercoastal. They even offer a pre-post cruise package in which they arrange town car transportation for you to/from the airport and cruiseport. There is a special restaurant there that is closed only to guests of the hotel, so I haven't tried it.

As far as the other restaurants in the area, the one I really love is Casablanca. It is in a historic 2 story home and has an interesting gourmet menu, reasonably priced, some with a Meditteranean flavor. There are expensive restaurants in the Atlantic Hotel and the St. Regis, but I haven't found the food to be so great. Most of the other restaurants in the area are very casual, like Sloppy Joe's, Hooters, mexican restaurants, Bubba Gump's, etc. You can always take a short ride to Las Olas Blvd.

Another option is Riverside Hotel on E. Las Olas Blvd. While you have to take a very short ride to the beach, it is in a great area for dining and shopping, and has a pool. This is the area of town that the foodies go to eat. However, they are set to begin major building renovations and construction this year, so there could be noise, and you would want to make sure they aren't closing the pool during renovations. Prior to 10 yrs ago it was a small boutique hotel, but they expanded it and they are set to add rooms again.

There are a lot of guest houses near the beach, but they are more like small motels, and would not be classified as "boutiquey".

I hope that you get some other replies, as I would love to hear about some of the lesser known gems in my city.

Also check out some of the inns in Lauderdale by the Sea, which is in north Fort Lauderdale. You would be wise to check the reviews on trip advisor. My favorite restaurant you can walk to from there is the Village Grille, and Aruba is also very popular. 101 Ocean recently opened, and has a nice bar, but I tried the restaurant twice and the food wasn't very good. There are 2 ice cream shops, a pizza restaurant, and also a Greek restaurant, Athena Cafe, as well as a Greek diner, Sea Ranch Diner. Pa D'Genaro's (fine Italian) is 2 blocks away and I've been meaning to try it because I hear only rave reviews. There are grocery stores, drug stores, and liquor stores you can walk to. This area has the lowest crime rate in Lauderdale, so I feel really safe walking around at night. Sometimes there is music in the streets on friday nights.

The Pillars on New River Sound would be an excellent choice.

Not as boutiquish but The Atlantic is a gorgeous hotel.

Favorite restaurants as a foodie you'll love:

Cafe Martorano - best meatball on the planet and worth the 3 hour wait.

Bistro Mezzoluna

Big City Tavern

Samba Room

Archived