Sourdough starter

calicruzr

Leaving on Carnival Spirit on June 25th going to Sitka, Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway... Can anyone tell me if there is a place I can buy live sourdough starter? My parents had starter from Alaska for about 30 years and through their last move, couldn't keep it going and I really miss the sourdough pancakes my dad used to make.... thanks in advance!

Sorry...can't tell you where to but it, but for sure you will be able to buy it probably in any of communities you are going to. Just ask a local when you get off the ship.

I know that I'm not much help in the "where" dept., but, I thought I should tell you that taking food across the border...like moving from Vancouver to the US if you are disembarking in Vancouver...could be a problem. The border folks get very 'antsy' about food product that is not dry and pre-packaged crossing the border. Something you might want to check on befor heading to Alaska...would be a shame to find exactly what you are looking for only to have it taken away by a border person.

You can probably have it mailed/shipped to your home direct from Alaska.

Hope you find exactly what you are looking for...and that you have a great cruise.

Leaving on Carnival Spirit on June 25th going to Sitka, Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway... Can anyone tell me if there is a place I can buy live sourdough starter? My parents had starter from Alaska for about 30 years and through their last move, couldn't keep it going and I really miss the sourdough pancakes my dad used to make.... thanks in advance!

I found this..not in Alaska but originated from Alaska

Sourdough Products

PO Box 2004

Rockport, Texas 78381

PH (512) 729-4897

EMail: kfaulkner@interconnect.net

Chillkoot Pass Sourdough Starter. The Chillkoot Pass sourdough starter descended from one that was carried by a gold miner up over the Chillkoot Pass in Alaska during the gold rush of 1898. This event places the age of this unique sourdough starter at 99 years. It has every quality you might expect in a vintage Alaskan sourdough starter of this age, mellow, tangy and full of extremely active wild yeast. This is a batter-starter in a 12 oz crock jar, $14.95 + $5.00 shipping

We bought a "dry" packet when we were in Skagway in 2002. Sorry I can't remember the name of the shop. You bring it home and add liquids to get it going.

I think the Lumberjack show gift shop in Ketchikan had it too because we kicked ourselves for not grabbing it there.

Hopefully shops still carry it.

I saw some starter dried onto a spoon (you put the spoon in water to start it again) It was in the gift shop at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. That is between Whittier and Anchorage.

I work with a sourdough starter on a regular basis for work. One thing that I have found out that if you are not going to be using it for a week or two , or longer, you can put it in the fridge and then take it a day or two before wanting to use it again and feed it. You can also freeze it.

Someone asked before, and I looked around in Juneau. There's a little gift shop in the big blue building, The Wharf, on the dock down by the HAL dock. E, I think. Past the parking garage.

Anyway, there's a kitchen section in the shop, and they've got like a little recipe book which comes with a sourdough starter.

Archived