Booking a cruise while on a cruise

ScottsSweetie

For you more experienced cruisers - I will be going on a cruise in February (Carnival) and considering booking another cruise in September (Carnival). Should I go ahead and book now through TA, or should I wait and book while on the cruise in February? I have heard that you can get some good discounts if you book while on board. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Not sure what Carnival will offer but I did this with Holland America. I booked my next cruise while onboard and received $75/per person, or $150 per cabin, shipboard credit and this is for a 10-day cruise. I believe if its a 7-day cruise, its $50 per person shipboard credit or $100 per cabin. As far as a discount, this cruise was a year ahead, booked at the rate, but my cruise has gone down twice since I booked. I simply monitor the prices, when they go down, contact my TA (if you have a travel agent, have his/her name, address and phone number ready when you book onboard, it will be transferred to them, if you wish) and she got me the lower rate. So far I have kept the shipboard credit, but am aware that HAL can pull that shipboard credit since my cruise has gone down more than the $75 per person shipboard credit. Time will tell if I have the credit or not, but I'd rather have the lower rate anyways. Hope this helps.

Book now and if the price stays the same or goes up by the time of your cruise, rebook on board and cancel the original booking. You will get your full deposit back and cover yourself if the prices should go up.:)
Springtxbill, I believe you meant "book now and if the price stays the same or goes down". Anyhow, that's good advice. We're booked on a HAL cruise in a couple of weeks. About two months ago we decided to book another for March of next year. We booked immediately. If we waited we would have gotten a credit for booking on board, however, the price has gone up by $175 pp since then, so I'm glad we didn't wait.

On the other hand, if the price had stayed the same or went down we could have rebooked on board, gotten the credit and cancelled our original booking.

Archived