Newbys

Hi:) ,Me and my wife have just booked a cruise on Emerald for the 27 th June from Corfu..A sudden decision ! Never cruised before and would appreciate any feedback regarding clothes /formal ? trips doing your own thing ? and any other first time advice.Three days ago we had not even thought of "cruising" but took the plunge and after reading the positive posts on here we must say we are looking forward to it so much.Bit concerned that we have an inside cabin ,Do they have a low light for night times ? How many plugs are there in a cabin for camera chargers etc .Do they work on 110 Volts ? We are around the 60 age group but young outlook with it ,so hope we will keep up the pace.Look forward to replies ,and will post on return.:)

Hi there:)

You have definately picked the right cruise and the right ship for your first one. This is the same ship and almost the same itinerary we did for our first one in 2003 and we've done one every year since.

With regards to clothes, you can choose either formal or informal wear. There is a gala night once a week which is formal attire but most of the time you can dress smart casual if you want, although you are not allowed to wear shorts in the evening time in the main dining room.

Trips - you can either book through Destination Services or do your own thing, it's entirely up to you. Every day you will get a Cruise News which will give you a bit of info on the port you will be in the next day. It will also show you a map of where the port is situated in relation to the main town. You will also get a list of all the excursions available from Destination Services when you first board, for the whole of your cruise. This gives you the prices and duration of each of the trips as well as a bit about what you will be doing. There is also a video show in the Lounge on the first day whilst you are sea which also gives you info on all the destinations. We always book all of our trips straight away to avoid any disappointment and also we then know they are paid for.

Not sure about the inside cabins as we have always upgraded to outside and a bit higher deck.

I was very unsure what to expect when we did our first cruise as I have the added problem of suffering from sea sickness normally, but I needn't have worried I've had no problems at all apart from when we were in the Atlantic and then I just got some tablets from Reception and that sorted the problem.

We are sailing on the Destiny on the 26th June on the Jewels of the Mediterranean and can't wait.

Hope you have a great time - I'm sure you will. And I'm sure this won't be your last cruise either, you tend to get the bug and want to do more and more.

Janet

Smiffy1951:)

Hi - welcome aboard!

Sorry, can't help with the specifics of the cruise you are going on - I've got my eye on this area for our next one. However, as far as Thomson is concerned, I think it's a great introduction to cruising. We've always found the balance just right - as relaxed as you want either dining in the main restaurant or buffet - and dressing as formally/informally as you like too.

On the Captain's Gala night, most people dress up a bit more than usual (DJs or suit/tie, long dresses or skirts/smart trousers and dressy top) for dinner in the restaurant. However, if this isn't your thing, you can always eat in the buffet, but the dining room isn't at all stuffy and the waiters are fabulous, making the holiday really special. There's a great atmosphere in there. Other nights, most people like to get changed for dinner but open neck shirts, smart trousers for the gents and dresses/trousers/tops for ladies is very acceptable. As smiffy says, it's just shorts etc which are not allowed (and baseball caps, vest-type tops etc.) so very obvious casual wear (pool/beach gear) looks out of place.

As far as inside cabins go, we've always elected to go on the inside working on the theory that we only sleep, shower and change in there. Once we're ready, there's far more to see and enjoy around the ship! Less expense on the cabin means we can go more often. I understand that this isn't how some people feel - perhaps they find having no window claustrophobic, or prefer to up-grade cabins to make their holiday more special - but we have always been perfectly happy on the inside. Our cabins on the Celebration, Spirit and Destiny have been identical to the outside ones except of course for the porthole/window. (Of course, Suites etc. are different, I'm just referring to the basic cabin.)

Inside cabins on the ships we've been on, don't have low level night lighting, but the switch for a variety of lights, including a small directional spot for reading (or finding your way to the loo without disturbing your other half) are just by the bed. A little light from the corridor does tend to diffuse through the bottom of the door so it's not absolutely pitch black.

We always take a 4-way with us as there is usually only one power outlet so we can charge mobiles/camera batteries at the same time. (As the voltage is often lower, we find batteries don't hold their charge as long as when done at home - so it's usually a top-up every night.) I'm not sure of the voltage on the Emerald - I'm sure someone will post this info but we also take both a European 2-pin and an American adaptor with us too to cover all eventualities.

I always take some Stugeron in case of sea-sickness and it's always proved to be very effective for me. It might be worth having some with you just in case. (Available over the counter at Boots etc.)

Anyway, have a great trip - we look forward to hearing how you liked your first cruise.

I am also on this cruise celebrating my 50th. You have picked a great cruise. This was also my 1st one 4 years ago. I know it was 4 years as Greece won the Euro football and all the staff on the ship were going mad

Your first port is one of my Favs. Santorini. Do your own thing and take the chair lift up the hillside to the town for some great views. Remember and take your camera. When we get on board we will be at a little bar near the pool. Come and join us for a drink and if you have any questions we will be happy to help.

There will be a party of 8 to 10 of us.

Regards.

Billy.

:) Hi Delores

Did the Adriatic in 2004 so some of the destinations have changed a bit. Dubrovnik is beautiful and you can get a taxi on the quayside into the town centre for around 20 euros. If you can get someone to share with it works out cheaper. They drop you off just outside the walled part of the City so you can go off and do your own thing, then you can just get another taxi back again when you're ready.

Also Venice is absolutely amazing. We did a ship excursion which included two of the islands as well - one which makes the glass and the other one had small pretty coloured houses on.I think they were called Merano and Berano!!! Then we went into Venice itself and went off on our own to see all the famous bits like the Rialto Bridge and Bridge of Sighs (will nearly miss it if you're not careful as it's tucked away) but there are usually a big crowd gathered taking photos. One tip is don't buy drinks etc in the cafes in St Marks Square. They charge extra just for the ambience. There are lots of little cafes down the side streets where you can get pizzas and pasta etc. There is even a MacDonalds (heaven forbid) but it is not advertised anywhere like in most countries. We came across it by accident when we were in one of the little restaurants and we just happened to walk past it.

We also went to Rovinj and did an excursion down the Lymm Fjoord (Can't spell it!!!) it was very pretty and then we went to Porec and did some sightseeing and shopping.

Hope this helps a bit. You'll have a great time

Regards

Janet:)

Thanks Janet very helpful. We are two woman going on the cruise away from husbands so just can't wait. Thanks again

Dont know how on earth I chose this names, kept wondering who the heck Delores was.

:p

Delores

Archived