Any Family on Summit T/A April 18-30, 2009?

ORDPLATAA

Hello Jeff and Michael (and David):

Regretfully, the day after my last post I cancelled this cruise. I had purchased the FLL-SJU airfare with Spirit Airlines arriving in SJU at 9:30 AM about one month ago. Then on Friday, I received an email notification from Spirit that the flight had been changed to arrive at 1:30 PM and that was the first flight of the day now where previously there were several non-stops.

Personally, I don't feel comfortable arriving that late. Anything can happen and maybe I would make it but I am not willing to take the chance. My friend and I started to do some research and we found out that I could book a balcony cabin, single occupancy, on the Navigator OTS at a lower rate than I was paying for the Summit on an oceanview cabin (the last time we looked at Navigator pricing a couple of months ago prices were considerably higher). This is due to my Diamond status on RCI which gets me very little as Elite on Celebrity. On RCI, I got $300 off the balcony cabin price, a $200 OBC, plus as a Diamond member I have access to the Concierge Lounge in the evening for free drinks. On top of that, my TA reduced my total cost by $200. Since the Navigator departs from FLL, I now have no need to fly anywhere to get on the ship. Saved $269 which Spirit refunded because they changed the flight schedule. And this crossing departs from FLL on April 16; so it is a 14 day crossing. Ironically, both the Navigator and Summit arrive in Barcelona on April 30th. This cruise is costing me $200 less than the Summit and am getting much more in return. There was no way that I could pass up this opportunity.

So Michael, to answer your question, I did have the flight purchased. But Spirit's schedule change changed everything for me.

Even though we have not met, I have enjoyed chatting with you guys. After all, it seems that we are the ones that post the most. I am going to miss you guys. I hope you have a GREAT cruise! Hopefully, our paths will cross again on a future cruise.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE!

Juan

Hello Jeff and Michael (and David):

Regretfully, the day after my last post I cancelled this cruise. I had purchased the FLL-SJU airfare with Spirit Airlines arriving in SJU at 9:30 AM about one month ago. Then on Friday, I received an email notification from Spirit that the flight had been changed to arrive at 1:30 PM and that was the first flight of the day now where previously there were several non-stops.

Personally, I don't feel comfortable arriving that late. Anything can happen and maybe I would make it but I am not willing to take the chance. My friend and I started to do some research and we found out that I could book a balcony cabin, single occupancy, on the Navigator OTS at a lower rate than I was paying for the Summit on an oceanview cabin (the last time we looked at Navigator pricing a couple of months ago prices were considerably higher). This is due to my Diamond status on RCI which gets me very little as Elite on Celebrity. On RCI, I got $300 off the balcony cabin price, a $200 OBC, plus as a Diamond member I have access to the Concierge Lounge in the evening for free drinks. On top of that, my TA reduced my total cost by $200. Since the Navigator departs from FLL, I now have no need to fly anywhere to get on the ship. Saved $269 which Spirit refunded because they changed the flight schedule. And this crossing departs from FLL on April 16; so it is a 14 day crossing. Ironically, both the Navigator and Summit arrive in Barcelona on April 30th. This cruise is costing me $200 less than the Summit and am getting much more in return. There was no way that I could pass up this opportunity.

So Michael, to answer your question, I did have the flight purchased. But Spirit's schedule change changed everything for me.

Even though we have not met, I have enjoyed chatting with you guys. After all, it seems that we are the ones that post the most. I am going to miss you guys. I hope you have a GREAT cruise! Hopefully, our paths will cross again on a future cruise.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE!

Juan

Hi Juan,

No worries! If I were you, I would be looking for cruises out of FLL myself and avoiding the airport. That is what we do, and thus, why we leave out of San Juan whenever possible. Enjoy your cruise!! (and yes, the diamond status on RCCL is so much better with the drinks in the eve!!) I agree 100%!!!

Take care!

--Jeff

Juan:

I am sorry you won't be joining us on the cruise, but your reasoning certainly makes sense. I still hope we can meet here in Fla., since we only live 30 minutes from each other. Are you extending your stay in Barcelona, or heading right back on the 30th? Maybe we can meet you there? Dietrichs??

I am hoping to book our Barcelona Hotel tonight, since I found a great deal on an Aparthotel right in the gayborhood.

Jeff: I hope we get that fuel charge refunded as well, I am assuming we probably will. Now if they'd just open the Normadie online reservations I'd be happy.

Hope evberyone had a wonderful holiday...kinda destressing here instead of working :-)

Juan:

I am sorry you won't be joining us on the cruise, but your reasoning certainly makes sense. I still hope we can meet here in Fla., since we only live 30 minutes from each other. Are you extending your stay in Barcelona, or heading right back on the 30th? Maybe we can meet you there? Dietrichs??

I am hoping to book our Barcelona Hotel tonight, since I found a great deal on an Aparthotel right in the gayborhood.

Jeff: I hope we get that fuel charge refunded as well, I am assuming we probably will. Now if they'd just open the Normadie online reservations I'd be happy.

Hope evberyone had a wonderful holiday...kinda destressing here instead of working :-)

Hi Michael,

Here's to hoping we get some more money to spend on other things rather than fuel! haha!

Not sure if you or anyone else wants to do this, but would anyone like to see if we can get a table for dinner together?

Just a thought.

--Jeff

Hi Jeff and Michael:

Sorry for the late response. I was away for the holidays and just returned Saturday.

It really is disappointing that I will no longer be on the Summit and sail with you guys but with the flight schedule change the odds were far too great on the side of Navigator.

Michael: Unfortunately, we will not be staying in Barcelona. When we get off the ship, we are flying to Berlin for the weekend. My friend is from Berlin and he's promised to show me the "sights." ;) I have been to Berlin before but did not go out clubbing and it really helps a lot when someone takes you and knows where to go. But as you know, it is a small world. I was at Naked Grape this past Saturday night. Hope all is well with you.

Juan

Jeff:

We certainly can do a table together if you'd like. We are four, and have requested a table for 8. What we can do is see about linking our reservations for the table. We're doing late seating dinner. Feel free to drop me an email at spav01@aol.com, and we can take to pour travel agent.

Juan:

Darn! Missed you Saturday night. We were down at the Arsht Center seeing Reduced Shakespeare. We'll be up in FLL tonight (12/30) at Tasty Thai and then maybe karaoke, or Naked Grape :-)

I did ask my travel agent whether we have to request a Friends of Dorothy gathering or if the nice folks at Celebrity did that automatically. He thought it happened automatically, but if anyone knows differently, or any agents have a link to put in a request, that would be great.

There will certainly be other family onboard, and it's always nice to meet them at the martini bar early on.

Cheers,

David.

Well, I started this thread and now won't be on this cruise!

My partner needed to update one of his professional licenses and had to go back to school for a year. He gets done in June - so no way we could make this one work out.

Happy sailing to you all!

I'm so sorry you're not going to be on this cruise. Hope we see you on another...or if you ever decide to take a vacation in greater Miami - Fort Lauderdale.

NC Hammerhead: Welcome on board! vivavino and a group of 4 here have linked our reservations to share a tablew at dinner...late seating. If you'd like to join us, just let us know.

Michael

Michael:

I have been so busy lately that I have not had the chance to check the boards. Sorry I missed you; I stayed home on 12/30. Was at Cafe Vico on 12/31 and YOLO on 1/1. Perhaps you know of these places?

Juan

PS HAPPY BELATED NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!

Juan:

Sorry, I do not know those places. I will have to check them out. At the moment, though, no wine for me: I need to drop some weight and cutting out booze is the best way I know of doing it.

Send me an email if you'd like (spav01@aol.com) and we can set up a time and place to meet. We'd really like to meet another cruising fan!

Jeff,

David and I have linked reservations for dining. Are you joining us? Anybody else want in? We're a group of 5 right now. Let me know :-)

We would like to join you, but are in the process of switching reservations and travel agents. So, once I get the process finalized, I would definitely like to link up.

Did you decide to take that balcony cabin on deck 6? I hope that worked out for you guys.

We're almost down to 3 months until sailing...woo hoo!

Hi Michael,

Yes and no ... we actually were able to secure one of the sweet 16 balcony cabins on deck 6 thanks to your suggestions. So, we are looking forward to it. Thanks for your help.

--Jeff

NC Hammerhead: Welcome on board! vivavino and a group of 4 here have linked our reservations to share a tablew at dinner...late seating. If you'd like to join us, just let us know.

Michael

Michael: thanks for the invite.. I'll discuss with my partner, but I think we're probably interested in joining your group for dinner if everyone is okay with it-- sounds like a great idea.. If its okay, I'll touch base with you via regular email to introduce ourselves

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

the reservation link is not there yet, although the other reservations (vivavino and wxjcupo) appear there. The links also have our air and hotel linked, which makes no sense. I'll contact my TA today to correct that, and to request a table for 10 (since we're now 9).

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a definitive answer other than "soon" (from Celebrity Customer Service) as to when we will be able to book reservations in the Normandie? Also, has anyone booked any excursions? We're definitely doing Taroudant, and are also thinking about that Montserrat tour with drop off mid-day in Barcelona.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone --

Happy Thanksgiving!!

As of today, I just checked the Celebrity web site for something totally unrelated and found that our cruise has been reduced in price once again.

As of today, the prices are as follows:

Interior: $699, Oceanview: $799, Veranda: $999, and Base Suite (Sky Suite): $1,999.

Since the last time advertised prices were adjusted (outside of booking while on a cruise), these represent a savings of $100 per stateroom, or $50 per person, for the interior or oceanview cabins, and a $200 per stateroom, or $100 per person, for the veranda cabins. The only one that has stayed the same price as of this writing is the suite. So, if you reserved your space at the higher price, make sure you contact your travel agent and request the price reduction! I guess one could call this an early holiday present!

Cheers!

--Jeff

All --

The following price reductions for our cruise were posted today:

Interior: $499 ($200 p/p savings!), Oceanview: $699 ($100 p/p savings!), Veranda: $899 ($100 p/p savings!), and Base Suite (Sky Suite): $1,999 (no savings!).

So, the cheaper your category, the more you save.

--Jeff

Does anyone have a definitive answer other than "soon" (from Celebrity Customer Service) as to when we will be able to book reservations in the Normandie? Also, has anyone booked any excursions? We're definitely doing Taroudant, and are also thinking about that Montserrat tour with drop off mid-day in Barcelona.

I'm wxjcupo's partner. We were planning on doing the Normandie as well, probably midway through our days at sea. No word yet as to when those reservations can be made, though.

As for excursions: We will be doing the Guimar Pyramids on Tenerife, Taroudant (and if there is time, the Agadir Kasbah) in Agadir, and in Valencia and Malaga, we will just pick up taxis to take us to the center of the action (as it were), since many of the sites are well-within walking distance of each other. Those two stops will be on our own; we didn't like the ship's excursions much. While trekking 9 hours to the Alhambra and back seemed nice and long (and expensive), a little internet research revealed that there are some equally nice Moorish castles and palaces right in Malaga.

And we're staying a day or two extra in Barcelona to see the town and meet up with a friend from the UK and relatives who will be docking with another cruise line the day after we arrive. I've already got a small stack of guide books and my best tourist-nerd look geared up for Barcelona. :-D

I love that!

We're doing Tauradant as well, and expect the spend time on our own in Agadir afterwards, since the ship doesn't leave until late. We're doing the Canadas del Teide tour in Tenerife, and on our own in Malaga and Valencia, like you. We still haven't decided on Montserrat yet (Celebrity tour that leaves you in Barcelona at the end of the tour), but we may well do that.

Archived