West Maui instead of Road to Hana - Advice Please?

jitbug

We threw around the Road to Hana and decided not to attempt it seeing wanted to do a Molokini Snorkel, Iao Needle, Lahaina etc. Instead we thought about driving around west maui. I had planned to do it counter clockwise because I wanted to be in Laihaina in the afternoon rather than the morning but the Revealed Book strongly suggests doing it west to east which I assume means Lahaina north and around because of the flow of traffic. Does anyone have any knowledge of the areas/road north of Lahaina, and back to Kahului? (Kahekili Highway)

Thanks,

Jitbug

PS The molokini snorkel would be done on a separate day.

Yes, we have done it. Clockwise only, even though my DH is an excellent driver and has driven all kinds of roads in all kinds of conditions.

Here are links to several threads specifically about driving west Maui and the Kahekili Hwy:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=539219&highlight=%22west+maui%22

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=539209&highlight=%22west+maui%22

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=561869&highlight=%22west+maui%22

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=591735&highlight=%22west+maui%22

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=648371&highlight=%22west+maui%22

Hope those help.

beachchick

We did this drive clockwise 10 years ago. They tell you not to bring your rentals cars on this road. Did we listen? NOOOOOOO. We didn't think it was nearly as scenic as RTH (IMO). It took forever, but we did get to see a Frank Lloyd Wright House that he designed for Marilyn Monroe, but I'm guessing she passed before they started.

Bring plenty of snacks and water. There's no bathroom (except the weeds) the whole way (unless things have changed!).

No need to do the circular drive anyway - start the morning off with a visit to Iao Valley, then head up to Kapalua via the 30, work your way back down through Kaanapali, ending up in Lahaina in the afternoon.

I'm one of the few on the boards who will advise this itinerary over the RTH for cruise passengers. I think there is more to be enjoyed on Maui than the RTH when you are only there for a short time. I think you will not be disappointed by your decision to spend a day visiting West Maui even though you won't be able to take the full circular route (in fact, as you will see if you read the other threads that beachchick pointed out, I think you'll probably have a more enjoyable time by not making that full drive too!).

Enjoy your visit to Maui! Aloha!!

Thanks for all the good advice(all) and the links (beachchick). I think we will go this route...just not sure how yet. I checked the Hawaii dept of transportation and couldn't find any info on the road closure so we'll just have to see when we get there. It's nice to know other options even if we cannot carefully drive the full loop.

jitbug

No need to do the circular drive anyway - start the morning off with a visit to Iao Valley, then head up to Kapalua via the 30, work your way back down through Kaanapali, ending up in Lahaina in the afternoon.

I'm one of the few on the boards who will advise this itinerary over the RTH for cruise passengers. I think there is more to be enjoyed on Maui than the RTH when you are only there for a short time. I think you will not be disappointed by your decision to spend a day visiting West Maui even though you won't be able to take the full circular route (in fact, as you will see if you read the other threads that beachchick pointed out, I think you'll probably have a more enjoyable time by not making that full drive too!).

I agree 100% with Beach4Me. We actually snorkled first at Blackrock, then headed over to Iao Valley and the Gardens below it and took the plantation tour. Plenty of time left over to explore Lahaina. The second day we headed up the coast to the end of the road, then backtracked and stopped at two more snorkle sights. We ended the day with a sail on America's Cup II. To us, the road to Hanna is a winding road to nowhere. I didn't go to Hawaii to spend the entire day in a car.

Lazygal,

Do you remember where you snorkeled north of Black Rock on the second morning?

Sounds like we will be staying around West Maui for most of our time on the island.

Patti

Patti, I did a quick cut and paste:

Ka�anapali Beach: Black Rock Beach is excellent for beginning snorkelers and swimmers to experienced SCUBA divers. Coral and tropical fish are abundant. This is the northernmost section of Ka'anapali Beach. A beach walk winds through Ka'anapali with easy access to beachfront hotels, shopping and restaurants.

Kahana (ka-ha-na) Beach: Beginning at the Kahana Beach Resort and continuing past the Sands of Kahana, this stretch of beach offers plenty of space for you sunbathers. The swimming here is very good thanks to a protective offshore reef, but the combination of sand and rock as you enter the water may discourage the younger beach-goers from playing in the shore-break. Kahana is a nice beach which is never very crowded. Take Hoohui road off of Honoapi'ilani Highway and head west toward the ocean. Turn left on Lower Honoapi'ilani Highway and look for parking on the far side of the Kahana Beach Resort.

Napili Bay: Napili Bay is noted for its sandy beaches and good swimming. An excellent

snorkeling spot for novice and expert.

Mokule�ia Beach (Slaughterhouse): Hwy. 30 at mile marker 32. A good spot for snorkeling and swimming during summer months. Big waves in the winter make if a favorite spot for bodysurfing but hazardous for other water sports. That's not why it's called Slaughterhouse. There actually was a slaughterhouse here but it was torn down in the '60s.

None of these areas are marked well. We came upon Kahana beach by accident, after turning into a very ritzy resort area and following the road. We parked on a side street and walked towards the beach and the bay is right in front of a resort area. All beaches in Hawaii are public and this beach is noted on other sites to be one of the "Hidden Treasures" There was public beach access and showers.

Slaughterhouse beach is further North and is not marked at all. You'll see a stretch of cars parked on the road, that's all. Limited free parking - get there first and early. There is quite a hike down concrete steps.

I'd say Black Rock was the best,(Parking at the Sheraton was $12) followed by Slaughterhouse, then the resort area.

Everything I had read says you have to snorkle in the AM before the tradewinds kick up the sand, so that is what we did and then did sightseeing later in the day.

I thought the only way to get to Kapalua was to go long way around thru Lahaina. We are thinking of the Maui Pineapple tour after Iao Valley in morning. How long to go via Hwy and is it pretty straight forward using Hawaii drive guides given with rental cars?

Thanks

I thought the only way to get to Kapalua was to go long way around thru Lahaina. We are thinking of the Maui Pineapple tour after Iao Valley in morning. How long to go via Hwy and is it pretty straight forward using Hawaii drive guides given with rental cars?

Thanks

It is. If you're not taking the west-north Kahekili route around north Maui (which we would not do counter-clockwise), then you take 30 (if coming back from Iao) or 380 (if leaving from the pier) across toward (and past) Ma'alaea. From Iao, it's about 75 to 90 minutes up to Kapalua. That's average, but it can take longer if there's traffic or construction; it can be a bit less if the traffic is light and there's no construction. It's very easy to navigate the roads--There simply aren't that many main roads anyway. With a drive guide and map, no worries at all.

Beach4me is talking about driving across Maui (on either 30 or 380, as mentioned above) and heading north on the west coast, passing by Lahaina and continuing on as far as Kapalua. Then you'd work your way back down the coast to Lahaina. If we did that, we'd probably go as far north as Honolua/Slaughterhouse if the ocean conditions were good for snorkeling; then we'd head back down, stopping at Kapalua (a fave overall beach), Airport/Kahekili, and Ka'anapali, and then continuing down to Lahaina.

Hope that helps clarify a bit.

beachchick

Beachchick, thanks for clearing that up. Without a map in front of me, I thought Beach4me was suggesting a more direct route west from Iao Valley to Kapalua (wishful thinking on my part!). 7 days til we leave, just ironing out the last few details.

plan2go

Having spent many days/weeks on Maui, I completely agree with beach4me. The drive is not that exciting, very slow with lots of one lane hair pin turns. Yes you can buy banana bread, but not worth it if you are only going for a day. If you are looking for views, go to the Iao Valley and make sure you spend time walking around Lahaina. Snorkel at black rock and even farther up if waves are not to big. Don't spend your time in a car, get out and enjoy the fresh air.:D

Why? What am I missing? I've gone counter-clockwise both times I've driven the route and I don't understand why I shouldn't have done it that way.

It's not a matter of whether you should or shouldn't drive it that way. It's a matter of the fact that I don't want to be on the outside "lane" in the sections where it's narrow, winding, and on the edge of the cliffs. I'm sure my DH would not have trouble driving it because he's absolutely the best driver I know and can drive on any road under any conditions. We simply choose not to have the slight added :eek: by taking the route counter-clockwise.

Of course, I wouldn't advise anyone to drive it either direction if they weren't a confident and experienced driver in the first place. And I always try to remind everyone that it's not a route to take with the idea that it's a faster way to get to the north-west becuase it isn't. Just driving with no stops takes a good 2 hours at least. The only reason to drive it at all is for the scenic beauty, which means planning at least 3 to 4 hours for it.

beachchick

Sorry gang, didn't mean to confuse anyone with my earlier post. And thanks for clarifying what I meant for everyone, beachchick! beachchick was absolutely on spot with her description of what I was trying to say. :o

btw - I'm glad to see that others agree that a day on West Maui is a day well spent. I think that some folks feel like they "have" to do the RTH. I was beginning to think that maybe beachchick and I were the only two whose cars would automatically head west. ;)

Totally agree with Beachchick and Beach4Me! I would never suggest to anyone visiting Maui for the first time for only one day to spend it driving to Hana. Iao Needle should do the trick for similar scenery. Aloha!

Sorry gang, didn't mean to confuse anyone with my earlier post. And thanks for clarifying what I meant for everyone, beachchick! beachchick was absolutely on spot with her description of what I was trying to say. :o

btw - I'm glad to see that others agree that a day on West Maui is a day well spent. I think that some folks feel like they "have" to do the RTH. I was beginning to think that maybe beachchick and I were the only two whose cars would automatically head west. ;)

I wondered that too, but it seems we're actually members of an exclusive (and intelligent) cult.;) (No worries about earlier posts. It's easy to forget that not everyone has a detailed image of Maui permanently "tatooed" on their eyes, brains, and hearts.):p:D

beachchick

We are def doing this and will do it clock wise but I still have a few questions. We do want to snorkel so I was thinking we must get there early but, in the summer is that absolutely necessary. It would be nice to do the following itinerary. Day 1

Iao Needle

Lahaina (early lunch)

Black Rock

Kapalua

Rest of the drive east.

Since that is the order going clockwise. I can skip Iao needle and do it the following day after our Molokini snorkel but then it would be in the early afternoon...is the lighting an issue then?

Otherwise we could do ...day 1

Black Rock

go back a little to Lahaina for lunch

Kapalua

and the rest of the drive east

Which would you prefer?

Day 2 would be Molokini snorkel then Iao Needle (if not done before) and could we fit in a quick look/see at Hookipa Beach if the ship leaves at 6?

My son loves to windsurf and was so disappointed he wouldn't be able to surf

or windsurf on this trip because he tore his acl and had surgery in March. We

are still working in pt and though we got the ok to snorkel, it was a no go on windsurfing or surfing but I think he'd like to go watch.

Thanks in advance,

Jitbug

We are def doing this and will do it clock wise but I still have a few questions. We do want to snorkel so I was thinking we must get there early but, in the summer is that absolutely necessary.

Snorkeling conditions are better in the morning and into early afternoon all year long. Is it absolutely necessary to get there at the crack of the day? No. But the water is most likely to be calmest and clearest before noon.

The afternoon trade winds on Maui can churn up the water but good by mid-afternoon. That's why the afternoon Molokini excursions have a disclaimer that they might have to go their "alternative locations," which can happen any day of the year.

Remember that the beaches get crowded as the day goes on, but also remember that people come and go all day. Sounds like a contradiction, n'est pas? It isn't really. It can be difficult to find parking at times because the resorts are not required to allow the public to park in the resort structures and lots (and most don't allow it, although a few do). So the public lots can be pretty crowded. That's where the second part comes in. You might have to kind of "hunt" by circling a couple of times, but we've never had a problem finding parking within a few minutes because people are coming and going throughout the day.

On Ka'anapali, you can park in the pay lots at Whaler's Village. The shops and restaurants validate 2 hours with a $10 or $15 purchase.

It would be nice to do the following itinerary. Day 1

Iao Needle

Lahaina (early lunch)

Black Rock

Kapalua

Rest of the drive east.

I like this plan. Just make sure you finish the circle back to Kahului before dark. The tricky parts of the road are not a good idea for non-residents at night. Many residents won't drive that route, either way, at night.

Since that is the order going clockwise. I can skip Iao needle and do it the following day after our Molokini snorkel but then it would be in the early afternoon...is the lighting an issue then?

Not at all. In fact, the first time my DH took me to Iao was right after flew in and had picked up our rental car. I'm going to say we got there about 2 pm. It was absolutely lovely. No guarantees with weather, of course, but the lighting that time of day will not be a problem at all.

Otherwise we could do ...day 1

Black Rock

go back a little to Lahaina for lunch

Kapalua

and the rest of the drive east

(Shrugs) Eh, this I'm not as wild about unless you make a couple of changes. How about going up to Kapalua first thing, then back to Ka'anapali, then down to Lahaina? You're far more likely to have rougher water at Kapalua in the afternoon (I speak from experience here), so going after lunch isn't ideal. Conditions won't necessarily be bad; it's just that they'll be better earlier. After lunch and wandering/exploring Lahaina, you could head up the coast again and simply continue on to Honolua/Slaughterhouse. If early enough with decent conditions and if you're brave enough, you could hike down for a bit of a snorkel. Either way, try to stop at one or more of the lookouts over the Honolua Marine Preserve area--Gorgeous. Then you'll have the rest of the afternoon to drive the scenic route around the north and be back in Kahului by dusk.

Also, there's a nice little place for lunch at Whaler's Village called Hula Grill or you could check out Pineapple Grill in Kapalua or even Sea House (I think that's the right name) in Napili. In fact, here's another thought: Go to Lahaina and explore first thing in the morning, head to Ka'anapali and beach/snorkel, then up to Kapalua for additional beach/snorkel, followed by lunch in Kapalua. From there, you're all set to head north for the rest of the drive. There are many fun and good places for lunch in Lahaina and it's not as if driving back from Ka'anapali or Kapalua is a super long drive. But I'm trying to think in terms of the least backtracking or best chance of wonderful conditions for snorkeling.

You might also want check out the Jodo Mission Buddhist Temple (I think that's correct) when you're in Lahaina. It's really worth a stop. It has one of the largest Buddha statues outside of Japan.

Which would you prefer?

It's hard to go wrong spending a day on the west coast, IMO.

Day 2 would be Molokini snorkel then Iao Needle (if not done before) and could we fit in a quick look/see at Hookipa Beach if the ship leaves at 6?

Sure, no problem with the timing.

My son loves to windsurf and was so disappointed he wouldn't be able to surf or windsurf on this trip because he tore his acl and had surgery in March.

What a bummer!

Weare still working in pt and though we got the ok to snorkel, it was a no go on windsurfing or surfing but I think he'd like to go watch.

I'm sure he'll be chafing at the bit (er, board) not to be able to join everyone in the water at Ho'okipa. With any luck, he'll have a "next trip to Hawaii" down the road to make up for it. (I always believe there should be a next trip in mind.):D

Thanks in advance,

Jitbug

Have a lovely Maui time, regardless of what route you take.

beachchick

We JUST got back from 2 wks on Maui :) and here are my impressions of the West Maui day (we were at Napili the whole time and it's rather big in my memory right now):

Best snorkeling was BY FAR at Honolua Bay. It's amazing how calm it can be when the tradewinds and general round-the-mountain breezes are making hash out of just about everything else (except for Lahaina, which is apparently never windy...)

Honolua is only about 3 miles past Kapalua. Not well marked - look for the cars parked along the road about a mile past Slaughterhouse.

Next best snorkeling was, surprisingly, Kapalua Bay. I was never a big fan of it for snorkeling, but the visibility and fish count on the north (right) rock point was excellent. Next best was Honokeana Cove, just south of Napili Bay. If you wanna see turtles, Honokeana was the place. Next best place was Black Rock. And Black Rock ain't bad at all, but does get crowded.

Beachchick's advice about going to Kapalua then making your way back to Lahaina is very nice (although I'd amend it slightly to "going to Honolua" if you're of a snorkeling mindset). We loved the Aloha Mixed Plate for lunch. Good, cheap, and a locale next to Old Lahaina Luau to die for. Even cheaper (and insanely hearty) is the lunch at the Honolua Store in Kapalua. $6.75 and it must weigh two pounds.

Is the road past Honolua of a Hana-esque nature? Nope. Not nearly as green and verdant. A much poorer road (face it, it's a lousy road past Olivine Pools). But there are cool things there like the blowhole etc. It isn't better than Hana road, or worse. Just different.

One other thing - the traffic from Lahaina south to past Olawalu (famed 14-mile mark area) is a BUGGER from about 2:30 on. Forget all the "bad at rush hour" stuff, like around 4:30 or so. During the week it was sometimes backed up for miles. Just a wee warning for giving yourself time to get back to the port.

Also, there isn't much said about this, but there is a new zipline at Kapalua. Call the Kapalua Adventure Center directly to talk to them about it. You can't book this through any of the normal channels yet - but my two kids went on it and they said it was the best thing they did on their vacation. The "regular" zipline is often booked wayyyy in advance, so consider these guys. They're not cheap (hey, it's kapalua) but it was a blast for them.

Thanks beachchick and sceptic...this is the information I think will really help me. I think we'll head straight up to snorkeling right away and just do a quick look at Lahaina. Our main reason for stopping there is that we are originally from the old whaling town of New Bedford and as I understand it, there is some connection there. Kapalua or Slaughterhouse will be our first stop with lunch at Kapalua and then the rest of the road back to Kahalui. in

We'll be doing the winding route, clockwise and in daylight.

Thanks for the help!

Jitbug

Best snorkeling was BY FAR at Honolua Bay. It's amazing how calm it can be when the tradewinds and general round-the-mountain breezes are making hash out of just about everything else (except for Lahaina, which is apparently never windy...)

Honolua is only about 3 miles past Kapalua. Not well marked - look for the cars parked along the road about a mile past Slaughterhouse.

Next best snorkeling was, surprisingly, Kapalua Bay. I was never a big fan of it for snorkeling, but the visibility and fish count on the north (right) rock point was excellent. Next best was Honokeana Cove, just south of Napili Bay. If you wanna see turtles, Honokeana was the place. Next best place was Black Rock. And Black Rock ain't bad at all, but does get crowded.

Beachchick's advice about going to Kapalua then making your way back to Lahaina is very nice (although I'd amend it slightly to "going to Honolua" if you're of a snorkeling mindset). We loved the Aloha Mixed Plate for lunch. Good, cheap, and a locale next to Old Lahaina Luau to die for. Even cheaper (and insanely hearty) is the lunch at the Honolua Store in Kapalua. $6.75 and it must weigh two pounds.

Is the road past Honolua of a Hana-esque nature? Nope. Not nearly as green and verdant. A much poorer road (face it, it's a lousy road past Olivine Pools). But there are cool things there like the blowhole etc. It isn't better than Hana road, or worse. Just different.

One other thing - the traffic from Lahaina south to past Olawalu (famed 14-mile mark area) is a BUGGER from about 2:30 on. Forget all the "bad at rush hour" stuff, like around 4:30 or so. During the week it was sometimes backed up for miles. Just a wee warning for giving yourself time to get back to the port....

Absolutely agree on both points. If really good snorkeling is the primary consideration, Honolua is the place to head to first. It's a fave.

Ditto your thoughts on Aloha Mixed Plate. Nice catch; I'm sorry I missed suggesting it.

I'm surprised that Kapalua was so good, but there you go: Conditions change year round and you just never know. Our Kapalua snorkels have ranged from good to "it's too rough to even get in the water, let's check elsewhere."

Traffic! Oh yes, that's such a treat.

We really enjoyed the west Maui route. It is completely different from the RTH, but has its own charms. (Caveat: We're not huge fans of the RTH as a must do.) The views from the road along the west route are amazing, and there are many places to stop for views, a bit of walking, checking out the pools, etc. It's not a drive for the faint of heart or stomach.

beachchick

Archived