Looking at the Adventure of the Seas

PlaneJoy

I have never been on RCI before - always wanted to, but just haven't done it. We are looking at the Adventure of the Seas or perhaps another similar ship with all the amenities.

Do you recommend this ship? How's the kids program? Entertainment options onboard? What other information can you share?

I am normally a last minute vacation planner, but I want to do a little planning for a bigger ship. We have been on Carnival and Disney in the past.

Thanks!

PlaneJoy -

Just did the AOS Southern Caribbean in July. This ship is absolutely gorgeous - I especially enjoyed the adult solarium area. We were a group of 10 - with 2 kids aged 13 and 8. They did not go to the AO. The itinerary (Barbados route) was so busy that every day you were in a new port, so of course they came with us. At night, they even loved the shows! The ice show was amazing and in general the entertainment was excellent. We only had 1 sea day, and on that day the parents took them ice skating and rock climbing. This itinerary is not for the faint hearted, and with kids, airfare to San Juan can be pretty expensive (around $450 RT from Boston). I'd suggest maybe one of the sister ships - Voyager, Explorer or Mariner for a similar experience but lower cost (air and excursions).

Hope this helps....

Thanks for your review! I really loved the route it is doing and would love the opportunity to go to new ports. We have been to some of the same places and are ready for some adventure. :) When I originally looked at it, I didn't realize that they had ice shows. How cool! I just thought it was for recreation.

As far as airfare... no worries, we're airline employees. Our problem will be getting a seat on a flight. San Juan can be tough! You're right in the warning though, it is also expensive!

Thanks again!

Hi PlaneJoy!:) Our first cruise was on the Adventure, and we loved it so much that we did it again last summer! We did both itineraries and preferred the five-island itin. to the four-island--mostly because we LOVE days in port--had great things planned for every island both time (Check the Ports of Call board for suggestions) If you are planning on doing ship excursions, book them ahead of time on the RCI website. Our tickets were waiting for us in our cabin the first day. Can't help you with the kid's programs because we left ours home w/Grandma:D

You will not be disappointed with the AOS! The southern ports are AWESOME! We are thinking about next summer--and will book either the Mariner (newer sister ship) or the Adventure again!

PlaneJoy -

If airfare is not a factor, go for it!!! The islands might be pretty battered, though, from this hurricane season, especially St. Lucia. If you want some suggestions for excursions, please e-mail me and I'd be happy to help. :)

elaineb1955@aol.com

As my very Disney-fied 8 year old nephew said "Dad, instead of going to Disney next year, can we go on a cruise again?"

I, too, LOVE Adventure of the Seas. My husband and I sailed in July 2003 for our honeymoon. Beautiful ship and such friendly employees. I was amazed with this cruising experience. We booked a suite and we were on the 5 day itinerary. We did tours in every port. Go for it.

Archived