restaurant for birthday dinner in FLL

We will be arriving in Fort Lauderdale the day before our 3/15 sailing of the Crown Princess and it happens to be my daughter's 12th birthday. Since we will be traveling most of the day we would like to take her somewhere memorable for her birthday dinner. We will be staying at the Embassy Suites - 17th street and somewhere within walking distance would be great. Thanks for any suggestions.

There is a really fun place that I would recommend, but you would need to take a cab. It is only 4 miles from the hotel, so maybe the shuttle may take you.

Go to Jackson's Ice Cream Parlor!! They have been in the same location in Dania Beach since 1956. They do have real food, but they are known for their ice cream. They literally have the Kitchen Sink. The ice cream is all handmade, and the decor is a wild mix of old license plates and various memoribilia.

I am sure if you mentioned something to your server, they will do something for your daughter's birthday. I know they have a huge supply of sparklers on hand for some of the ice cream creations.

You may want to grab something close to the hotel for dinner, and then head to Jackson's for dessert. I have been going to Jackson's for 36 years, and I forget that they have real meals. I only go for the ice cream!!! :D

Here is their website: http://www.jaxsonsicecream.com/

I have another suggestion, but it is not within walking distance, though it is only a few miles away on Las Olas Blvd: Japanese Village. It is a great steakhouse with a tableside cooking "show". My nephew always wants to go there for his birthdays! Then you can have dessert at Kilwin's fudge and ice cream shop (counter service only) or Cheesecake Factory, all in walking distance just east of the restaurant!

There are tons of restaurants on 17th Street, but nothing really fun and special for kids that I can think of, other than run of the mill Mexican.

Archived