Rome Transfers - What time should I book a flight out of Rome?

SISer

I am looking a cruise on the Galaxy that starts and ends in Rome.

Does Celebrity sell transfers from Central Rome or the airport to the pier. The day the ship leaves/returns to Rome.

If so, could CC member please let me know the pick up/drop off locations.

If I choose to fly out of Rome on the last day of the cruise. What time should I book my flight? The ship docks in Rome at 4 am and disembarkation starts at 6 am. I plan on flying out of FCO.

Thanks in advance.

and arrange your own transport (many good suggestions on these boards) so you are not at the mercy of a bus-load of fellow cruisers getting organized and on their way. Never travel with the herds! They will just get in your way and slow everything down...........The airport is maybe 45 minutes from the port depending on the day you arrive.

I would back into the decision of times based on who is flying out that day and at what time and of course cost. Much different schedules than what you might think, or at least I am getting educated flying into Rome for a TA and can only say wow!

I just arrived home from Rome. We arrived at FCO 3 hours prior to departure. I am so glad we did. The check in counters don't open up until 2 hours prior to boarding. There were lines everywhere. Security was not bad but it took about 30 minutes. So plan your time. Our flight left at 12 noon and we were off the ship at 7:45AM Embarkation went very fast

Thanks for the feedback.

tcocktail, I read your post on the other thread regarding passports. Could you please let me know if your passport was stamped in Greece and Turkey. Also, did you join any shore excursions?

I am travelling solo, so the prices for a car service from the port to FCO are much more than what X charges for a transfer. So, unfortunately, I'll be using the transfer.

I am able to get FF tickets to Europe I am eager to make my flight arrangements. I called X to find out, they were not helpful and told me to talk to my travel agent.

I have never cruised with X before, and I do like their itinerary to the Eastern Med, however, the attitude of the telephone representative did put a bad taste in my mouth.

I am debating between two sail dates - November 3 and November 24, so at this time I do not have a booking, or a travel agent to ask.

I know the cruise for both travel dates are available and for now I can get FF seats, I don't want to book my FF tickets only to find out that the flight times are wrong.

I cruised Galaxy last fall. It was great. The best thing you can do is join the Roll Call for your cruise. Very likely you will be able to hook up with a few others to share a private cab. Look at the Eastern Med boards as well.

I was hesitant to book a flight leaving around 11 AM, and went for one at 1, but debark was the easiest I've ever had anywhere, and making a 11 AM flight would have been no problem.. Several of my friends were on the 11 AM one.

Thanks for the feedback.

tcocktail, I read your post on the other thread regarding passports. Could you please let me know if your passport was stamped in Greece and Turkey. Also, did you join any shore excursions?

I am travelling solo, so the prices for a car service from the port to FCO are much more than what X charges for a transfer. So, unfortunately, I'll be using the transfer.

I am able to get FF tickets to Europe I am eager to make my flight arrangements. I called X to find out, they were not helpful and told me to talk to my travel agent.

I have never cruised with X before, and I do like their itinerary to the Eastern Med, however, the attitude of the telephone representative did put a bad taste in my mouth.

I am debating between two sail dates - November 3 and November 24, so at this time I do not have a booking, or a travel agent to ask.

I know the cruise for both travel dates are available and for now I can get FF seats, I don't want to book my FF tickets only to find out that the flight times are wrong.

My passport was only stamped in Santorini, Greece. As signman stated I think you will be fine with an 11AM flight. Excellent idea to join the roll call board for your cruises at which you are looking. We were able to connect with another family and did all our transfers with them. It has been said on this board that the train is very easy to Civitavecchia. But the port is huge an only 18 taxi's in Civitavecchia you may have to walk 4 block with your luggage. Then upon arrival at the port there is a free shuttle.

I highly, highly suggest that you arrive in Rome prior to the day of embarkation. There is so much to do and the jetlag will get you.I even took no jetlag pills and it still didn't work. You will miss a couple days of the cruise if you don't come in early. This also leaves time for lost baggage.

We did the Galaxy cruise over Thanksgiving, and other than the "turkey dinner", it was great. At the time, we were the last large cruise ship to hit most of the ports. Everyone had a "deal", and we could almost hear the shutters slamming as we left port. Also meant there weren't thousands of other tourists the same time.

Far as the return--we hooked up with some Cruise Critics and had our own small bus to the airport. We were scheduled to leave about 1, and were happy to be early. After standing in line for about 20-30 minutes for checkin, found our flight cancelled. Rebooked and sent running for the plane, which was "loading". Were able to bump the lines enough to get to the plane.

We then sat for almost an hour, waiting for fog to lift in Frankfurt. Our connection left as we got there. Another hour plus to rebook. Overnight in Frankfurt--we turned down opportunity to go to Chicago (fortunately, since it was under snow for several days). Flying is FUN!

We did the Galaxy cruise over Thanksgiving, and other than the "turkey dinner", it was great.
We too spent Thanksgiving onboard...the Nautica in the Med. made the huge mistake of ordering the Turkey...in the Polo (steak specialty Rest.) They really have NO idea how to do an American style Thanks. dinner. (Cranberry compote...with some sort of liquore in it...awful) 2 slices of dry turkey breast upon a small helping of badly made bread stuffing. If they'd hadn't tried to copy our style I think the food would have been better! Sweet potato timbals....and I coulda had prime rib...well at least on Oceania it doesn't cost anything extra to eat in the Specialty Rest...but reservations are hard to come by sometimes!

Archived