Hawaii Beach Question

the cruise is on

We will be in Hawaii with NCL in September - there will be 6 adults and 1 2 1/2 year old spit fire. We were wondering - do most of the beaches (I have the Revealed Books) have umbrellas and chairs that can be rented? I've looked at numerous posters pictures and it always appears folks have those items - wondering if those are the locals or the tourists?

Depending on what beaches you go to... the crowded more popular beaches in front of large hotels might have chairs to rent, but most of the beaches do not. We usually have beach mats and we bring our own chairs or buy chairs ($15-20) at the walmart. That way we can go anywhere we want.

I saw a group of pax rent some chairs and an umbrella from the Beach Boys gear rental counter on Kalapaki Beach in Kauai. Most pax were just using the many lounge chairs owned by the Marriott, but around noon or so a Marriott employee came around, telling us they were for the Marriott guests.

Big Beach in Maui had nothing available for rent.

I don't think Hapuna Beach near Kona had loungers or umbrellas available for rent, but I saw one or two umbrellas on that beach - maybe the snack shop / gear rental counter at the top of the hill next to the parking lot had them available, but I kinda doubt it.

A-Bay Beach near Kona had a ton of loungers available for free. There was a gear rental counter on the beach, but I don't know if they had umbrellas for rent.

Ho'okipa Beach in Maui had nothing available for rent.

Wailea Beach in Maui seemed to have loungers all over the place, but again, I think they were owned by the Grand Wailea Resort, so they're probably not for ship pax's use.

ND

I plan to stop at the local dollar store and buy several of those flannel-backed vinyl tablecloths. They make great beach blankets. Even if you get lucky enough to find a place where you have beach chairs, you still need a non-sandy place for all your STUFF (and with a toddler, you are going to have STUFF). They are easy to pack, light to tote and best of all -- when you leave the beach, you just pitch it in the nearest trash can, instead of bringing all that sand back to your cabin.

Archived