Cabins on Destiny & Entertainment

We would like to do the Caribbean on Destiny but are a bit put off because the inside cabins look a bit dreary from the photos that we have seen. We have previously been on Spirit and Celebration in outside and deluxe cabins and those have always been o.k, but, from the brochure, they do seem to be rather better than the Destiny cabins. Anyone any info or photos please?

Also, we were intending to do the 14 day cruise - does anyone know if the entertainment will be repeated the 2nd week even though there are actually two different 7 day cruises.

Sandie

Hi, we went on Destiny for the first time this year after several trips on both Celebration and Spirit. We had inside cabins on both so can compare like with like - but obviously not able to comment on deluxe etc. I would say that cabins on Destiny felt less welcoming (mainly down to less 'warm' colours for soft furnishings) and the cabins were definitely smaller with less storage - especially drawers. (This may not be the case for up-grade cabins though.) The en-suite was also just a little smaller but that did seem to make quite a difference as those on Celebration/Spirit aren't large. The shower cubicles though had sheets of waterproof covering on the floor and walls rather than the mosaic tiles which I don't think look great on C & S. The cabins are kept spotless on all the ships though and we quickly got used to the cabin on Destiny and since we didn't spend much time in there, the differences didn't bother us. But it would be fair to say, we think the C & S cabins are rather better.

There were other differences too. The dining rooms were very similar also the show lounge (but no mezzanine on Destiny) but the Lido restaurant on Destiny is a bit drafty having sides that are not entirely closed in. This probably won't be so much of a problem in the Caribbean - hot,hot, hot! There is much more deck space on Destiny both for sunbeds and tables/chairs/bars for the al fresco life-style, again more suitable for this destination. The Oklahoma lounge (Destiny) is larger, more airy and rather better I think than Liberties/High Spirits but the Horizons bars on C & S are much better in my opinion than the Sky Bar (Destiny) which has no central bar or area for a band. It really is swings and roundabouts!

We've been on several back-to-backs in the Med (with a different itinerary on the second week) and they always had a two-week programme of shows so I'm sure this will be the case on your trip.

Celebration is still my favourite (just) but I would happily go on Destiny again if the itinerary/price was right.

Hi,

Just back today from the Moorish Delights on the Destiny and it was our first cruise so nothing to compare against. We stayed on deck 7 which was a deluxe room when we booked it but the cabin was called a delux when we got to the ship.

The rooms are a bit dated but so does the whole ship (it looks like something from the late 80s) but the room was spotless and very comfortable.

Hope this helps

N

Thanks for replies so far - very informative. Could you possibly tell me whether the pool on the Destiny is any bigger than on the Spirit and the Celebration.We are going on the Taste of Ireland on the Celebration on 23rd October but, so far, haven't found anyone else who is going!

Cheers

Sandie

Yes, the pools are bigger on Destiny. On Celebration the pool on the higher deck (can't remember which number deck) is really quite small - not much more than an immersion pool and the one on the Lido deck is smaller than either of those on Destiny.

Hi Sandie:)

We have already booked for the 2 week cruise on the Destiny in the Caribbean for March 2009.

We have been on the Destiny before but have always had a deluxe cabin, so I can't comment on the inside cabins.

From what I can remember we did comment that even the deluxe cabins seem smaller on the Destiny than on the Spirit and Emerald but as we only change and sleep and shower in there we've never really minded. The rest of the ship is lovely. But then I've liked all the Thomson ships (apart from Celebration cos not been on that one yet!!).

We did a 2 week cruise on the Spirit from Palma down to Sharm El Sheik and they did have different entertainment the second week. I would have thought they would have different entertainment the second week as people only doing one week wouldn't have seen either of them so it wouldn't matter.(hope that makes sense).

We're off on the Destiny again on June 26th on the Jewels of the Med (Can't wait). Must admit I'm really excited about the Caribbean though as it's always something I've wanted to do and have been waiting for Thomson to go there - so now my wishes have come true!!!!!

Janet

Made a boo boo on the previous Cruise List - Should have been the Calypso for the Black Sea in 2007.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Smiffy1951,,,Janet

Like you i have booked to Go on the destiny to the Caribbean. Flying from Glasgow on the 15 March. It is the two week cruise. Coral Islands/Caribbean Gems.

You will love the Caribbean I was there April this year. Sun, glorious beaches worderful views.

If you like shopping wait till you reach ST. Martten the prices are fantastic for gold,silver and electronics.

Ron

Archived